rpi and usb performance (raid, samba/nfs)

• anyone got any figures on this, my thoughts was to set it up as;

Code
    rpi usb 2.0 host
    		usb 2.0 hub
    				2TB 2.0 usb external drive

but before I do this I need to know that write/read performances wont go to low. so im wondering if anyone has tried this kind of setup in raid, what write/read speeds u got both internal and over ex. samba/nfs

would really appreciate the input

thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

It will max out the 100 mb ethernet connection using samba. So, nfs should do the same. You would get a *lot* better performance if you put those drives in an N40L or similar.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

It will max out the 100 mb ethernet connection using samba. So, nfs should do the same. You would get a *lot* better performance if you put those drives in an N40L or similar.

thats what im running now ;)

but thanks, I might try this with a few drives just to see how it goes

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is your goal? The RPi is fun to use for certain things but I'm not sure I would use it for a raid array that large. Also, the raid wouldn't give you any speed advantage (cpu limited) only redundancy.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The performance on USB2.0 will be MAX 40MB/s. As all USB devices will get connected to a single USB HUB. But as long as you only have the 100Mbit/s network connection you can get up to 10MB/s. Not very fast indeed. If you put e.g. 6x2TB disks to the raid and configure it as raid5 without spare (so 5+1), you will get 10TB usable disk space.

It will take 11,57 days to fill those over your 100Mbit/s network. Or a better value, to put a TV show with aprox 200MB size on the NAS will take you 20-25 seconds (you need to wait for it) and only 2-3 seconds on the N40L with the GBit Interface and Raid5 3+1.

If you want to write a backup to your NAS of let say 5 GB data (not that uncommon size for Windows based hosts), it will take you (pure transfer speed) 8-10 minutes, where it is on a the N40L below 1 minute. Unfortunately in both cases the windows backup itself takes much longer regardless of the size and speed of the backup medium.

Last use case would be video streaming. 100 Mbit/s is enough for everything to stream, but 100Mbit/s may result in kind of limitation for good HD material (BD Rips without repack).

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!