[Tutorial][Experimental][Third-party Plugin available]Reducing OMV's disk writes, also to install it on USB flash

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes :)

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for another great contribution, ryecoaaron!

For those who use the plugin but aren't aware of this thread, it might be helpful to add some text to the plugin page about /etc/fstab. Include an example fstab to make it clear.

• @WastlJ I use a CUBOX-I4 with only 1 Sata port. Why would you want more?

640k should be enough for anyone... ;)

My motherboard has 4 SATA ports and I plan to fill it up with HDs eventually. I don't want to waste a SATA port on a 1.5GB OS install. Sure I could buy another SATA card, which leads me to...

That leaves me with 2 Roku's. :) 2 more items for the "I'll keep it, just in case" closet.

At some point that closet is going to be filled up with years-old of just-in-case junk. I'm tired of acquiring extra stuff, throwing hardware at what are really software (or software services) problems.

• Offizieller Beitrag

For those who use the plugin but aren't aware of this thread, it might be helpful to add some text to the plugin page about /etc/fstab. Include an example fstab to make it clear.

That was my next change :) Just wanted to make sure it was working right first.

** edit - version 1.3 in repo with notes/instructions

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• I've followed the instructions installing the plugin/enabling and editing fstab.

I think everything is working (is there anyway to check?).
    Now when I look for the bootlog with sed 's/\^\[/\E/g' /var/log/boot |more
    I get an empty boot log, is this expected behavior, is the log somewhere else?

P.S. Thanks for the work on this.
    I have a setup that needs a usb stick (HP microserver 40L) even though I'd rather have a decent ssd...

HP N40L microserver | OMV 1.19 (Kralizec) | OMV extras 1.34 | kernel 3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64

• That was my next change :) Just wanted to make sure it was working right first.
    ** edit - version 1.3 in repo with notes/instructions

Looks great! Great minds think alike? :)

I've followed the instructions installing the plugin/enabling and editing fstab.

I think everything is working (is there anyway to check?).
    Now when I look for the bootlog with sed 's/\^\[/\E/g' /var/log/boot |more
    I get an empty boot log, is this expected behavior, is the log somewhere else?

The default /etc/fs2ram/fs2ram.conf file does not persist /var/log. You can save it by changing that entry from "keep_file_structure" to "keep_file_content". However keep in mind that the contents of /var/log can accumulate a lot of data.

The reason that /var/log/boot is empty is because fs2ram doesn't start until later in the boot process. If that file isn't accessible early during boot, it can't save the boot log there. As an alternative, you can use dmesg to retrieve the boot log.

• The default /etc/fs2ram/fs2ram.conf file does not persist /var/log. You can save it by changing that entry from "keep_file_structure" to "keep_file_content". However keep in mind that the contents of /var/log can accumulate a lot of data.

The reason that /var/log/boot is empty is because fs2ram doesn't start until later in the boot process. If that file isn't accessible early during boot, it can't save the boot log there. As an alternative, you can use dmesg to retrieve the boot log.

Thanks for the explanation, dmesg works but keep_file-content on /var/log doesn't have the bootlog so I've left it as was. No Biggy/this seems expected behavior.

Thanks again, this forum is full of helpful users/devs and a credit to OMV...

HP N40L microserver | OMV 1.19 (Kralizec) | OMV extras 1.34 | kernel 3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64

• Peace and Stew, make a note of when you started to use your device. If it fails please report back how long it lasted and the name/model of the device. Same to anyone else using this plugin.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have an RPi2 and and Odroid-C1 test running. I don't see how they won't last a long time since mine are writing 20 to 40 mb per day to the sd card according to /sys/fs/ext4/mmcname/session_write

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately, I never looked at the amounts before. I just looked at three of my servers using a hard drive for the OS.

One has written 35 GB of data in 45 days.
    One has written 38 GB of data in 45 days.
    One has written 14 GB of data in 10 days.

RPi2 test system has written 387 MB in 6 days.
    Odroid-C1 test system has written 276 MB in 4 days. (been doing some compiling on OS drive with that system though).

So, a bit more than my previous results but the plugin is definitely reducing a lot of writes.

Here are the last three types of cards I purchased:
    Transcend 16GB MicroSDHC Class10 UHS-1
    PNY Turbo Performance 16GB High Speed MicroSDHC Class 10 UHS-1
    Kingston Digital 16 GB microSDHC Class 10 UHS-1

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• Peace and Stew, make a note of when you started to use your device. If it fails please report back how long it lasted and the name/model of the device. Same to anyone else using this plugin.

Anecdotally I've been running OMV since 0.4 (2/3 years or so) on a USB adaptor for a 16gb lexar micro SD, with no modifications, without issue on the micro sd.

Now I'm running on a 16gb sans disk cruzer blade with flash memory plugin and a swapfile on my raid (I don't know if this is recommended).
    I'll report back if the flash drive breaks.

• Odroid-C1 test system has written 276 MB in 4 days.

Mine has about 8900 Megabytes in 10 days. Chap has about 580 Megabytes in 4 hours.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm using the flashmemory plugin on the rpi and odroid. You must not be using it yet?

• Yup, thats correct.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Change X to your OS partition: cat /sys/fs/ext4/sdX1/session_write_kbytes or it might mmcxxxx on arm systems.

• awk '/sd/ {print $3"\t"$10 / 2 / 1024}' /proc/diskstats

Greetings
    David

• Here are the last three types of cards I purchased:
    Transcend 16GB MicroSDHC Class10 UHS-1
    PNY Turbo Performance 16GB High Speed MicroSDHC Class 10 UHS-1
    Kingston Digital 16 GB microSDHC Class 10 UHS-1

Don't use micro Sd cards for this. That's your problem. Only use full size SD cards.

I have my XBMC/Kodi running on a SD from the first day without any problem. It does not use a centralized mysql db or anything, all it's saved n the Sd card, temporary files, covers art, any transcoding. It has been used almost every day and I forgot when I built that setup. Perhaps three years... or more.

If you use mobile class equipment it's normal to expect them dying. I only use storage/industrial class SDs. And USB sticks are always a lottery, so I don't use them. Well... I have my domoticz running out of a separate OMV installation on a random 2GB USB in a diskless eePC for a year. I have it there with me at work. Perhaps I could issue some command to retrieve the past writes numbers or the media age, if someone tells how.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!