Panic or segfault in Samba

• I'm getting the following email notification several times per day.

My CIFS/SMB shares seem to be working fine. I'm running 1.0.32 on an HP N54L.

Is this something I should be worried about? How can I fix it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

What type of drive is OMV installed on?

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

If it was an ssd or flash media, yes. Hard drive, probably not. If you reboot and it happens again, I would run a memory test.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unless you have bad block starting on the hard, I am out of suggestions.

• Run Memtest at least 24hours.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• For a couple of days already Samba is not advertising itself to Windows client's anymore. Today I received 'Panic or Segfault in Samba' e-mail. Don't know if these things are connected though. My system drive is a couple of months old Crucial M550 SSD. Any ideas?

• Check the smart data of your SSD.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Here is the values part of smartctl

• Looks okay to me. Let me, or someone else figure out why samba is so shy these days, as this is happening for some users, including me.

Greetings
    David

• I did some searching on this during the weekend. I found some posts that a bug in SAMBA can cause something like this. Some people were stopping the Samba service and putting in a a default Samba config. Then they ran it with the default config. Problems went away. Then they were able to stop the service and put in their old config and problem was gone. Seems weird but this is something that I saw. Maybe it will help.

PS- I did not say anything earlier because I was not to sure of this solution.

• Are those Windows 8 Clients? If so, try to add netbios name = hostname (replace hostname with your hostname, no spaces) to the extra options in the global samba settings.

Source: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2119247

Greetings
    David

• WINS seems to be of use when you have multiple subnets. The Link I provided suggest to NOT use it when there is only a single subnet in use.

Greetings
    David

• I wonder if the WINS support is part of the problem. That is why I ask to see his smb.conf.

Maybe time server is issue??? We do see weird problems when there are difference between machines with time settings.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've never used WINS even with Windows Server 2k and 2k3.

• All the machines are Windows 7. I have to admit that this issue came up after I was playing for some time with WINS setting. Basically I had Local Master Browser, Time Server and WINS server enabled and in my router I let DHCP include the WINS server (OMV) IP. In the beginning everything was working until it stopped working.

Now I tried to disable Local Master Browser, Time Server and WINS and also removed the WINS server IP from DHCP configuration, restarted the router and Samba as well, but the OMV machine is still not showing up in Network.

Also the machine is not visible anymore in Kodi.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!