Should I install every update in update manager?

• I apologize in advance if this seems like a silly question but...

In the update manager, should I be installing every update listed there, or just the ones that specifically say openmediavault? I don't want to break anything (my instinct says yes... UPDATE EVERYTHING!) and I don't want to leave my system open to security vulnerabilities.

Sorry for the noob question.

Darcy

• Offizieller Beitrag

The updates section can be generally rounded to one of two types:

1. Debian updates -- security updates, Debian OS updates,etc.
    2. OMV updates -- plugin updates, updates to the OMV code (which runs on top of Debian)..

In theory, they should always be safe and very rarely will cause something to break, but it can happen.

In short, Yes... install them all unless you have a specific reason to not install a particular update.

• I'd like to add my question regarding updates to this thread:
    Is there a setting to have OMV automatically apply all updates?
    The status email mentions '... in download only mode' but I did not find a checkbox to set it to 'download & install' mode.

Thanks!

• Thread titles these days that tell whats to expect in Threads are rare these days, huh?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• The Thread title before was just "updates". Please be more accurate for your thread titles so people know where your question is headed.

Greetings

David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!