Plex over VPN

• the plex interface works fine over my local network, but I also have openvpn server set up on the NAS, and whenever my clients connect to the vpn I get a login problem

on the clients, whenever I go to http://192.168.1.109:32400/web/index.html I am taken to the login page

Normally, I dont need to create any accounts or log in anywhere to see my media library

Is there a default login that I can use to get in as admin? What is causing plex to show me the login page only over a vpn connection?

The last time I tried to sign up on plex it screwed everything up and wouldnt give me any admin or server options, and didnt give me access to the library I had set up so Id rather not have to do that again...

• my NAS runs the openvpn server, but it also runs a vpn client connecting to another vpn service that changes my IP if that makes a difference

I have a dns updater through noip so I can always access the NAS even if the IP changes. But using that domain also gives me the login page and not my actual library

• what is it doing thats causing this issue?

because even though the vpn service gives me a random IP all the time, I have a ddns updater set up on the NAS to push whatever IP im being assigned to a set domain name. Even if I try to access plex through that domain name I get the login page...

• It changes your NAS ip and and the server sees the local computers as not being local because of this. The ip address assigned to your VPN client is not a local ip address to your LAN. If you turn off the client service on the NAS your local computers should be able to connect as normal to Plex UI without login.

• OK will give that a go

I still dont fully understand though because I have a domain name attached to the IP of the NAS (domain -> IP mapping updates automatically). And for my laptop clients, I have them connecting through the domain name. Given that both domain names are the same, and the IP associated with both domains is the same, shouldn't the client laptops be seen as on the same network? They are all connecting through the same IP/domain afterall

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!