Newbie-Questions....

• Hey Guys!

I'm new to OMV, so a view words on myself: From Germany, "rusty" English-Knowledge, Ubuntu- & Windows-User. OMV is running on my HP N40L (incl. 8 GB RAM, RAC) and at this time one WD "Red". OMV is running via 16GB-USB-Key. At this time, it's not a productive-machine, because I'm checking the features of OMV. I'm planning to run OMV as an archive. This will be no 24/7-task. So I would power-on my MicroServer, save files to the archive (thousands of images, some personal videos, music) , and shut-down the system (including separating the system form the outlet-jack). So I would use Samba and rsync most of the time.

So, when I get you right:

- You would call 0.3.4 "stable Alpha" ;) which is, generally speaking, not a problem. Many Linux-Programs are labeled the same way. But - what are the risks to take. Normally programs like "samba", "lvm2" etc. should be stable so my data would be safe. Would you agree to this?

- You would not recommend, to install OMV to an USB-Key. But that's the reason, I've chosen OVM. I don't like to share the HDDs with the installed OS (that's what M$-WHS would do). What is the reason for your advice?

- I don't understand the version-numbers of OMV. Who could explain them to me? :)

- When OVM will become my productive system, I would like to support you guys. Of cause an adequate donation would be done. But I would like to do more. Are there support-needs in German language? ;)

More to come! :twisted: THX in advance! :roll:

Dennis

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would definitely say it is stable. I have a system running three VMs and serving files with 156 days of uptime.

USB keys don't last very long because the limited number of writes the flash media can take. Use an old laptop hard drive. It can even be usb.

0.3.x is kind of the stable version. 0.4.x is the version help to prepare for Debian Wheezy. I have good luck with both but 0.3.x is probably what you are looking for. Both use the same version of Debian. Just a different version of the web interface and scripts.

Volker has a Donate link on the OMV home page. Not sure about support but I think Volker is pretty good with his german :)

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hey ryecoaaron!

Thank you for your answer. :)

Okay, sounds good, if you call it stable. Are you using OMV within the VM? Or are you running VMs within OMV?

Well, I bought an new USB-Key and a second one as a spare. I duplicated the key via "dd", so if one get's in trouble, I would be good. ;) I will never use RAID because I don't need high availability. I trust double backups (one inside the MicroServer via rsync, another one on a HDD ad my companys desk).

About donations: Well, will donate OMV when I'm switching to "productive". "German Support" could be documentation for example. So Volker could spend more time on developing "my NAS"... :D

Sometimes I got error-messages on the GUI. This is not effecting the function, but is annoying... :( So, I need later some advice.

Dennis

• Do yourself a favor and get a small black western digital laptop hard drive for the operating system drive. You will burn through a lot of USB sticks. Save the headaches, and money in the long run.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "Dennis"

Are you using OMV within the VM? Or are you running VMs within OMV?

VMs within OMV. One Windows 2003 server with SQL Server database. One Ubuntu 12.04 LTS intranet server with apache, mysql, samba, etc. One Ubuntu 10.04 LTS with Zimbra email server running. Plus, the host is setup for samba.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hey Guys!

I've followed your recommondations and switched from USB-Key to a real DD. In my case it's not a HDD, it's a SSD. Reason: less space in my MicroServer, installed with Gaffa on top of the ODD. :roll:

Complete reinstallation, several times faster booting and no more "Internal Server Errors". I'm nearly in the ball park. :)

More to come!

Dennis

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!