File format for my RAID pool 2 x 2 TB

• Hi,

after installing OMV and several plugins, I like to know what you would recommend as file format for my RAID pool?
    I learned that ZFS will come but should I think about it? What about the different data, I do have many movies/ pictures as well.

What file format should I go for?

regards
    openalf

• That's right, but with only two drives your possibilities are very limited. Raid 0 or JBOD and Raid 1 are possible, for Raid 10 you need a minimum of four drives. Raid 10 is something I use in corporate environments for the sake of resilience, but not at home because the useable space is only half of the overall capacity of the drives.
    I would take my hands on another 2 TB drive and build a Raid 5 which is expansible up to the end of your money. If that's not possible then do it like KM suggested but in that case you have to move your data away if Raid comes into game.

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• Yes you can use different brands as long as they have the same size. I wouldn't mix up drives with very different capabilities, i.e. standard SATA drives with 7200rpm and drives with higher (Or lower) speeds.
    In a corporate environment I always use the same brand and type of drives with the same firmware for better performance and stability.

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!