Windows 7 hates OMV 1.x ACL's

• OK. I finally decided to switch to an Intel setup so I could actually upgrade to Wheezy with OMV 1.x. Currently on 1.12. I've had a number of issues like MySQL not shutting down to configure, but I found workarounds for that.

What I am having issues with today is that regardless of Permissions settings, ACL's, or any other shared folder setting, Windows 7 can not access or even see any of the shared folders in Samba. I have used the reset. Afterwards, I used ACL to set all shared folders to the "nobody" user for guest access to them. I left my username unchecked. The only shared folders that are not set to "nobody" but my username and group in ACL are clonezilla and personal.

Now, Windows can't access any share at all. Can't even see them. As soon as I double click the OMV machine in Network on the WIN7 cpu, it prompts me for a password. Also, my username and password are the same on both the WIN7 and OMV machines.

Here's the smb.conf

And finally some screen shots of what I've been dealing with:

If anyone could help me resolve this so that windows could actually use the shares, I would appreciate. This is frustrating. Oh, my HTPC with an Ubuntu variant (KodiBuntu) can see shares just fine.

• @subzero79 - Before posting, I did read as much as I could take in via site search and Google. Of course with that, sifting through it all to find useful information can be a task within it self. At this point, ACL is no longer used. (And in my opinion, should be completely disallowed from OMV's webgui to prevent users like me from accessing it.)

@ james_h - Oh, I restarted Samba numerous times meticulously changing settings one at a time to get it to work. Thank you, but that didn't cure it.

After a week of searching google, I stumbled upon a relatively simple solution, (while doesn't correct all of my issue,) that does work.

In my smb.conf, I had to enter the simple variable in the global section after checking allow null passwords.

Code
    security = share

Then of course restart samba.

This finally allowed windows to see the omv machine, and actually access all the guest shares with read/write permissions. However, I am still unable to access any protected shares. This includes using the correct user name and password. I'm sure I will correct that at some point.

• Guest access is no longer an issue. Windows doesn't ask for a password to even see or access the OMV samba shares now. It only ask for passwords for the two protected shares. clonezilla and Personal. And yes, my username and passwords are identical between Linux and Windows.

The updated smb.conf the system is currently using.

• That gave me a less invasive idea. I simply logged into the OMV webgui, navigated to users, changed my password (be it the same as it was) and applied changes, and now it's fully corrected.

Thank you for pushing me in the right direction.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!