[HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

• It's definitely not just you, @hoppel118, I'm having the exact same issue as well. Rolled back for now to 3.16; wish there was a way I could easily get 4.6 working because that was what I did all my ZFS testing on in the first place.

I was also seeing DKMS errors on the iSCSI builds after the upgrade to the new kernel, but I'm not using that just yet.

• The zfs modules may not work with the 4.7 kernel yet. It has only been out a couple of days.

If I have a look at the apt-cache I only see kernel 4.6 and 4.7. But with kernel-headers for 4.6 I ran into dependency issues (correct package versions not found). Even if it is offtopic, but how is it possible to install an "older" kernel with all it's dependencies from the backports? Is this possible at all? With 4.3, 4.4 and 4.5 openmediavault-zfs worked really well.

It's definitely not just you, @hoppel118, I'm having the exact same issue as well. Rolled back for now to 3.16; wish there was a way I could easily get 4.6 working because that was what I did all my ZFS testing on in the first place.

I was also seeing DKMS errors on the iSCSI builds after the upgrade to the new kernel, but I'm not using that just yet.

Ok, thanks for informing about this. So, I am not to stupid to get this to work. ;)

3.16 is the last alternative.

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

how is it possible to install an "older" kernel with all it's dependencies from the backports?

You have to find the .deb packages somewhere and install it manually.

dkms, zfs, and other modules don't necessary work with every kernel. Nothing I can do to fix that. I wouldn't have moved to 4.7 but 4.6 was not available in the repo anymore. The unsigned portion ONLY affects secure boot.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• You have to find the .deb packages somewhere and install it manually.
    dkms, zfs, and other modules don't necessary work with every kernel. Nothing I can do to fix that. I wouldn't have moved to 4.7 but 4.6 was not available in the repo anymore. The unsigned portion ONLY affects secure boot.

Going to hang out on it for a while and when I get a minute I'll see if I can figure out whether there's something odd going on with the ZFS on Linux folks or if it's just Debian or what.

Hoppel118, all the testing I did on the plugin over the last couple of weeks was on 4.6 backports, so it was fine too as far as I can tell. Either way, everything's back to running now, and if I find anything that might explain it and/or provide a timeframe for when it might work, I'll post in here.

• Offizieller Beitrag

zfs on linux released 0.6.5.8 a couple of weeks ago. Debian has this in stretch but 0.6.5.7 is in jessie. 0.6.5.8 had the fixes for 4.7 and 4.8 kernels

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• You have to find the .deb packages somewhere and install it manually.

Ok, I will check it, when I have the time for this. It can be a solution, eventhough it's not the best.

Going to hang out on it for a while and when I get a minute I'll see if I can figure out whether there's something odd going on with the ZFS on Linux folks or if it's just Debian or what.
    Hoppel118, all the testing I did on the plugin over the last couple of weeks was on 4.6 backports, so it was fine too as far as I can tell. Either way, everything's back to running now, and if I find anything that might explain it and/or provide a timeframe for when it might work, I'll post in here.

Ok, that would be nice. :)

zfs on linux released 0.6.5.8 a couple of weeks ago. Debian has this in stretch but 0.6.5.7 is in jessie. 0.6.5.8 had the fixes for 4.7 and 4.8 kernels

Ufff, is there any chance to get this fixes to jessie?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ufff, is there any chance to get this fixes to jessie?

By me? No. By Debian in time? Probably.

• By me? No. By Debian in time? Probably.

I only wanted to know your opinion. Thanks.

Tried to find all the dependend packages for 4.6 headers in the www to install them per "dpkg -i", but it's not straight forward and needs too much time which I don't have at the moment.

Is it an alternative to compile my own 4.4 kernel and 4.4 headers? I never did this on debian (it was gentoo and it's long time ago). But I think this could be faster than searching through the www for deb packages...

Greetings Hoppel

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is it an alternative to compile my own 4.4 kernel and 4.4 headers?

You could do that and it would probably work.

• The kernel is compiling. The rest we will see tomorrow. ;)

• You could do that and it would probably work.

The compile procedure tonight was successful, but that kernel didn't boot. There were problems with some missing modules. Whatever, I had another very nice idea in my opinion.

I added the proxmox repo by the openmediavault webui under "OMV-Extras". I installed the proxmox-kernel and proxmox-header-packages per apt-get and deactivated the proxmox repo again. Now I have the kernel and headers 4.4.19-1 working in my omv kvm. I like the fact, that the kernel is ecactly the same as on the proxmox host system.

• Are there any known limitations, if I do it that way?

After that I activated the "zfs repo" and the "zfs testing repo", upgraded the available updates under "update management" of the omv webui and installed the "openmediavault-zfs 3.0.3" plugin with all its dependencies. This time the procedure worked as expected. Yehaaaa! :D

Here you can see the output from apt-get while installing the plugin: http://pastebin.com/YYXwU4Lx

Instead of "Bad Errors", I see "Good News" everywhere:

Very nice! The modules the "zfs-plugin" installs typically, are also integrated in the proxmox-kernel.

By the way, passing through the "lsi3008 sas-controller", the "digital devices cine s2 dvb card" and a sata-ssd to the kvm seems to work at this state of my "virtualizing project". I see all the devices per lspci in the kvm. The time will show us what happens when the services have to work with these passed through hardware. Behind the sas-controller are 8x4TB wd red in a raid-z2. Will do some tests before importing the pool, but not today.

• Is anybody here using the openmediavault-zfs 3.0.3 plugin with "productive" data?
    • When will openmediavault-zfs 3.0.4 with the solved issues arrive?

Greetings Hoppel

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is a very good idea since Proxmox is using Debian Jessie as well and supports zfs. So, I can't imagine you would have any issue with this. I was trying the ubuntu 16.04 kernel yesterday but the Proxmox kernel is almost identical (since they use the ubuntu kernel as well).

Maybe I should add a button to omv-extras to install the proxmox kernel?? And I'm wondering what the pros/cons of leaving the repo enabled after installing the kernel would be??

• Thanks! Yes, it's a really good idea! :D Nice to read that you don't expect any issues with this setup. :)

The button for the proxmox kernel and headers would be great.

I disabled the repo, because I can't estimate the risk of dependency issues by the different repos. I am not a fan of many different sources, where its not clear to me what can happen and which aren't tested in combination with openmediavault. This why I disabled the proxmox repo again. Here is the list of available updates, if I activate the proxmox repo again:

What do you think about it?

Greetings Hoppel

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here is what I am thinking then...

I will probably just enable the repo, install the kernel and headers, and then disable the repo.
    If you want to update the kernel, just click the button again

• Ok, but if you are able to code us a special button to install the kernel and headers from the the proxmox repo, that would be better than enabling/disabling the repo manually. No need for others to search for and integrate the proxmox repo! But the repo solution is also ok for me. ;)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

The button would enable the repo, install kernel/headers, disable repo. No need for you to do anything else. The current button basically does that but doesn't disable the backports repo.

• Ok, great. Just do it! :D

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok, great. Just do it!

Maybe tonight...

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv-extras 3.3.15 is in the testing repo. When installing the proxmox kernel, it has to uninstall the firmware packages from the backports kernel so that it can install its own firmware package. Not sure if this will cause problems but watch for it.

• hello,

investigated some time and tried to import my pool with omv in a kvm and passing through the lsi sas3008 controller. After some try-and-error with kvm configuration it seems to work now. At least I see the pool in openmediavault and syslog looks clean at the moment.

Maybe you want to have a look at the thread, where I described my findings with pci-passthrough: https://forum.proxmox.com/thre…h-lsi-3008-mpt3sas.29577/

There you can also find some syslogs which maybe from interest to you.

I am tired. ;)

Good Night Hoppel

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!