[HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you don't enable the regular zfs repo, the zfs packages from the debian repo will be used. If you enable both, the packages from zfsonlinux will be used. Currently, the Debian packages are newer.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• If you don't enable the regular zfs repo, the zfs packages from the debian repo will be used. If you enable both, the packages from zfsonlinux will be used. Currently, the Debian packages are newer.

Care to elaborate a bit here?

If enabling regular ZFS plugin (stable): which repo wil be used?
    And if enabling just ZFS-testing, which will be used?

I see, for me, a lot of people with issues and I want to be sure of which to use when I receive my new OS drive and start my upgrade to erasmus

• Offizieller Beitrag

Care to elaborate a bit here?

I thought I did. The omv-extras zfs repo (not testing) will enable the zfsonlinux repo. The omv-extras zfs testing repo does not enable the zfsonlinux repo. The omv-extras zfs testing repo is just for testing version of the plugin and has nothing to do with where the zfs packages come from.

I see, for me, a lot of people with issues and I want to be sure of which to use when I receive my new OS drive and start my upgrade to erasmus

It isn't like if you pick one, you are locked into that choice. Worst case, you have to uninstall the plugin and reinstall it.

If enabling regular ZFS plugin (stable): which repo wil be used?

zfsonlinux

And if enabling just ZFS-testing, which will be used?

debian

• Offizieller Beitrag

I thinking about getting rid of the zfsonlinux repo from omv-extras. The version in the Debian repo is newer and more compatible with newer kernels. This would mean the zfs plugin could be in the regular repo. If someone wanted the zfsonlinux repo, they could manually add it in omv-extras. Thoughts?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Regular users? Not sure what that means.

The two repos would disappear. If you were zfsonlinx, updates to the newer debian packages would appear in the updates tab. That should be it. I think the two repos cause more confusion than anything and the debian packages come from zfsonlinux anyway.

• More compatibility to new kernels and newer packages from official debian repo... At the moment it seems to be the right way. If this situation changes, you can bring back the zfsonlinux repo.

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• @bug11 Check your /etc/default/zfs file and look for the ZPOOL_IMPORT_PATH parameter. This should map how your pool is created/imported. If you want to change from one format to another you can do the following (this would use the /dev/disk/by-vdev format for a pool named tank):

Code
    $ zpool export tank
    $ zpool import -d /dev/disk/by-vdev tank

The information above is found on https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/wiki/FAQ which has a lot of good information on which format to use when.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The plugin has been moved or been down for a while?

No. I removed the zfsonlinux repos from omv-extras in favor of the packages in the official Debian repo (which are also from zfsonlinux).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you have zfs-testing enabled? The system has to be 64 bit too.

• I forgot to mention that I use OMV3. I don't see even the repo, which is the most weird from all. No update packages available.

PS. amd64 always. It is a re-installation from scratch as I had the impression that during the progress from 3.0.15 to the latest, the system gone little wild!

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is no zfs repos anymore. The plugin will be in the regular and testing repos. I forgot to put the plugin in those repos. Fixed now.

• Much better now.
    Only thing that I saw are three warnings:

Setting up openmediavault-zfs (3.0.5) ...
    WARNING: The function 'omv_config_add_element' is deprecated.
    Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-18+deb8u6) ...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Only thing that I saw are three warnings:

This is fixed on github but as the message says, they are only warnings. There was no need to release a new version just to fix this.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!