[HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, but in the actual situation I have unmet dependencies to kernel 4.8. In the medium term view omv3 always uses a more current kernel (bpo) as the guys like me using the proxmox kernel (lts) under omv3. I think this can lead into other issues. Hm..., maybe I understand something wrong here.

I use the proxmox kernel on two systems. No problems there. The proxmox kernel does use different firmware packages than the 4.8 kernel but nothing that can't be easily fixed from the command line. What are your unmet dependencies?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• OK, I installed kernel 4.8, rebooted the machine with kernel 4.8.

After that I deinstalled omv-zfs per "apt-get remove openmediavault-zfs". The procedure was fine.

Then I tried to install omv-zfs again and the the procedure stopped with the following message:

http://pastebin.com/wfAQxBFw

So I tried the following which ended with the same message:

http://pastebin.com/VyUBrZKy

"apt-get autoremove" stops with the following message:

http://pastebin.com/FezXduWW

So I tried what @luxflow suggested:

http://pastebin.com/csLaMBir

After removing "debian-zfs" from the suggested command,I can see some more information (unmet dependecies) but the installetion procedure also didn't start:

http://pastebin.com/eLaJXiEp

If I do an "apt-get -f install" now, I am in a circle of the whole procedure.

So, I tried the following:

http://pastebin.com/9010MJrc

Kernel 4.4.19 got deinstalled. After that I installed "openmediavault-zfs again:

http://pastebin.com/M1PpvrQJ

The procedure was fine. So, I tried to start my emby-server and my vdr server. Everthing works as expected. So I rebooted the machine.

After the reboot vdr and emby-server do not start anymore:

http://pastebin.com/RYUM91Am

For the vdr I can see a permission problem with the recording directory:

Code
    Jan 05 12:10:48 omv vdr[5858]: [5858] ERROR (tools.c,441): /mediatank/tv/tv: Keine Berechtigung
        Jan 05 12:10:48 omv vdr[5858]: vdr: can't access video directory /mediatank/tv/tv

Permissions didn't change while the above procedure, the directory and all sub directories look as expected:

Code
    root@omv:~# ls -l /mediatank/tv
    insgesamt 18
    drwxr-sr-x 15 vdr vdr 15 Jan  4 22:22 tv

I also recognized that I can see the smb folders in the windows explorer, but it's not possible to login with my user/password combination. The permissions of that zfs smb folders also look as expected.

What the hell is the problem? ;)

At the moment I am lucky to have a backup of my omv-kvm to get back to the state before this procedure.

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• forget this post, copied all the comand line output to pastebin.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• Sorry, I have no idea about vdr permission error since I didn't use at all
    Check all filesystem correctly mounted `zfs get -t filesystem mounted`
    And try to change permission 777 so it is work as expected

OMV3 on Proxmox
    Intel E3-1245 v5 | 32GB ECC RAM | 4x3TB RAID10 HDD
    omv-zfs | omv-nginx | omv-letsencrypt | omv-openvpn
    Click link for more details

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can i not install the zfs plugin on a omv 2.2.13 anymore?

Nope. There is no repo anymore at zfsonlinux. zfs was never truly supported on Wheezy anyway. If you are installing new, please use OMV 3.x.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have try to use omv 3.0 but the error level was to high/to much for me.

When did you try and what errors? I also said new install not upgrade.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What a mess :(.
    On my old 2.x install was zfs running very well. Sad.

Nothing we can do to fix this. I guess if someone still has the old packages, you could install it. The plugin isn't broken. But, this would just delay the inevitable.

• @hoppel118
    For me, clean install omv3+proxmox 4.4.35+zfs plugins works
    (omv3 install -> install omvextras and enable zfs-testing repo only -> proxmox 4.4.35 install -> boot to proxmox 4.435 kernel -> install zfs plugins)

try upgrade 4.4.35 and reinstall omv-zfs

Sorry if this has already been answered as I've been dipping in and out of this thread, but when you say enable Zfs testing repo, where are you doing this? I don't see this at all on my install. This is a fresh OMV 3. I cannot install the Proxmox because of dependencies, but then I cannot see the Zfs testing repo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is a fresh OMV 3. I cannot install the Proxmox because of dependencies, but then I cannot see the Zfs testing repo.

The zfs repos were dropped because the zfs packages are in the Debian repos and newer than the zfsonlinux. So, the zfs plugin is in the standard omv-extras repo. No need to enable anything zfs repos.

You can't install proxmox on OMV 3.x. There is a conflict with the watchdog package that would require a change to core OMV to accommodate.

• The zfs repos were dropped because the zfs packages are in the Debian repos and newer than the zfsonlinux. So, the zfs plugin is in the standard omv-extras repo. No need to enable anything zfs repos.

You can't install proxmox on OMV 3.x. There is a conflict with the watchdog package that would require a change to core OMV to accommodate.

Ok, this makes a lot more sense now. The only thing is that I can't get the 3.0.6 plugin to install successfully.

Have I done something obviously incorrect? I've literally only for the back ports kernel and a samba share on this box.

Edit: wait, I think I've just seen it. Do I need kernel sources installed?

• When did you try and what errors? I also said new install not upgrade.

I haved use a new install ^^. I think the kernel 4.8 dont like my asrock board. Realtek firmware missed, ovm booting need more than 3-5 minutes and my second raid card become error messages on the boot log but my old omv 2.0 haved no problem with this.
    The missing of the dnsmasq plugin...
    and the unionfilesystem plugin have a problem with combination of a few normal hdd and a zfs pool. Its destroy the filesystem manager from omv and and and - the filesystem was not able to use and a reinstall of the plugin has crashed everything. So my first try of omv 3.0 was ended unhappy.
    I will test omv 3.0 over a vm. I hope the kernel will like a usual environment.

• header should be installed

reboot
    select kernel you want to use
    apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

OMV3 on Proxmox

• header should be installed

reboot
    select kernel you want to use

Yeah I've just done this. I already had the back ports kernel installed. I just hadn't installed the headers. That's done the trick, thanks.

@ryecoaaron Is it worth adding:

to the plugin script?

• @Wetter why dont you use just jessie kernel (not jessie backport) which is same version of wheezy backport
    omv-zfs works with jessie kernel

for dnsmasq,as i remember i saw developer abandon to port to omv 3.0

OMV3 on Proxmox

• I not sure i understand you.
    Its possible to use jessie kernel on omv 2.x? Or what you mean?
    I am not a linux pro so thats why i like the omv construction with a nice plugin extension over a simpel webpage.

• Mmh i have use zfs on omv 3.0 without problems. the only fail was to combined over unionfilesystem-plugin with other not zfs hdds. It was running well on omv 2.x but on 3.0 is ended with a destroyd ovm system ^^". So i want install omv 2.0 again but the "missing" zfs support for whezzy has suprised me badly.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Edit: wait, I think I've just seen it. Do I need kernel sources installed?

Yep. Click on the install backports kernel button in omv-extras to install the headers.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!