[HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

• Offizieller Beitrag

Edit: wait, I think I've just seen it. Do I need kernel sources installed?

Yep. Click on the install backports kernel button in omv-extras to install the headers.

I think the kernel 4.8 dont like my asrock board.

I have OMV 3.x and the 4.8 kernel installed on three asrock boards.

Realtek firmware missed, ovm booting need more than 3-5 minutes and my second raid card become error messages on the boot log but my old omv 2.0 haved no problem with this.

Realtek Linux support is very spotty. Just because it was supported in old versions doesn't mean it got better. This is not an OMV issue. It is a Linux kernel issue.

The missing of the dnsmasq plugin...

I just recently spent a lot of time porting that damn plugin. It is not in the repo because I was looking for more feedback on how well it was working.

and the unionfilesystem plugin have a problem with combination of a few normal hdd and a zfs pool.

Not sure why you would combine hard drives and a zfs pool. zfs by itself would pool them nicely.

Its destroy the filesystem manager from omv

Are you talking about extplorer? If so, I stopped maintaining a php apps because you can easily install them with the nginx plugin.

the filesystem was not able to use and a reinstall of the plugin has crashed everything.

Installing OMV 2.x plugins will crash things. OMV 3.x improved making the old plugins incompatible. Can you fault us for that?

I hope the kernel will like a usual environment.

The 4.8 kernel has much better support for most hardware.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is it worth adding:

apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

to the plugin script?

You can't. The control file has to be hard-coded versions. The kernel headers for different kernels are different package names. I guess now that the kernel version has stabilized, we could add an "or" dependency.

• After vm test and a new try with omv is running now. I think the first sequence install of plugins going wrong and i have testet one time the proxmox kernel. i read here later the kernel is not ready to use. to late for me ^^. many erros and problems with booting came at this point.
    anyway now is all fine.

my feedback to the "old" dnsmasq plugin is: was running very well with pxe & Co. ^^

• Offizieller Beitrag

my feedback to the "old" dnsmasq plugin is: was running very well with pxe & Co.

I need feedback on the new OMV 3.x version - get it here

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I just made a clean OMV3 install, and managed to get ZFS up and running again after installing backports kernel in OMV extras. But my "Detail" window for my ZFS-pools are light grey / low contrast (other windows in the web-gui show correct contrast, and so did this window when I had OMV2 installed).

Couldn't find anyone else asking about this before; is this normal or is there anything I can do?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Couldn't find anyone else asking about this before; is this normal or is there anything I can do?

The textarea is read only now. The color changed in OMV 3.x. You probably could change the css color by creating /var/www/openmediavault/css/omv-custom.css

• The textarea is read only now. The color changed in OMV 3.x. You probably could change the css color by creating /var/www/openmediavault/css/omv-custom.css

Any example of this would be appreciated. (No knowledge about css).
    Thanks

OMV 4.x. OMV-Extras ZFS iSCSI Infiniband. Testing OMV 5.1. Testing OMV arm64

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just a warning... This will make all read-only textareas look darker.

nano /var/www/openmediavault/css/omv-custom.css

CSS
    .x-form-item-default.x-form-readonly textarea {
            opacity: 1.0;
    }

ctrl-o to save, ctrl-x to exit
    Refresh page and/or clear browser cache.

• I need feedback on the new OMV 3.x version - get it here

Aaron, this made my whole week. I'd already given up, moved my Pi over to OMV 3.x, and just manually stole the config files configured to match from the old 2.x install so I could get remote-mount plugin.

I'm currently away from home visiting my parents, but as soon as I get home tomorrow afternoon I will install the plugin and give feedback if you still need it.

Thanks!

• Just had an interesting moment. I had updated the kernel with the updates and done a reboot. After I came back up I had spl 0.6.5.8-3~bpo8+1 and spl-dkms 0.6.5.8-3~bpo8+1 waiting as updates, probably because of the new kernel release. When I go to install them, I get an error on spl-dkms:

Note that there is no 2.2.1.0 available in Jessie, but Jessie Backports has dkms 2.3-2~bpo8+1. I was able to install it with sudo apt-get install -t jessie-backports dkms, and afterwards the upgrades went through for spl and spl-dkms.

So, head's up folks, if you update and start getting errors on DKMS, you need to install the backports version. Also, at the moment (and that may just be a matter of time) that puts the spl and spl-dkms packages at a newer rev than the zfs-dkms packages. No ill effects though, everything's running fine here.

• thanx to hint from wolffstarr - was just updating and got same error.
    Hope that some time zfs install/upgrade could get more mature.

OMV 5 | 64 bit | backport kernels | latest omvextrasorg
    low power Skylake NAS build <= 10 watts idle (4 disks), Fujitsu D3417-B, 16GB ECC RAM, 4x4TB WD Red - RAIDZ1, 128GB M.2 NVMe SSD boot.
    backup NAS HP Proliant N54L, 4GB ECC RAM, 4x4TB WD Red - RAID 5, 30GB SATA boot.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hope that some time zfs install/upgrade could get more mature.

All we have to do is pin dkms. I will add it to omv-extras.

Done - in 3.4.15 in repo now.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• super. thanx ryecoaaron.

I have now completely switched from RAID5 to ZFS on all online and backup servers - no issues since 5 weeks. Very efficient. To backup the online servers which contain different ZFS data sets, I am using ZREP - ZFS replication and failover script. The backup servers are wake up every night using wol from the router then zrep is called via cron from the backup server to replicate changed data on the online servers to the zfs backup servers.
    example cron from backup server: ssh <name of zfs server> zrep sync <zfs volume>/<data set>
    This generates consistent snaphots on both servers with option of fail over switching

Next step is to investigate the handling of the backups e.g via zfsbackup – ZFS backup handling to keep the backups similar to rsnapshot which I used before in Raid5 environments

OMV 5 | 64 bit | backport kernels | latest omvextrasorg
    low power Skylake NAS build <= 10 watts idle (4 disks), Fujitsu D3417-B, 16GB ECC RAM, 4x4TB WD Red - RAIDZ1, 128GB M.2 NVMe SSD boot.
    backup NAS HP Proliant N54L, 4GB ECC RAM, 4x4TB WD Red - RAID 5, 30GB SATA boot.

• @luxflow, this had fixed the problem for me a couple of weeks back as well. However, I just went in and added a new zpool via the plugin, and the issue returned. Same steps fixed it - actually, I'm not even sure that disabling the Nested Properties bit is actually necessary - but the fact that it came back makes me think there's an underlying issue.

I remember something like this happening in the past, but I can't find any posts on it. Is there any way to finagle things so that the ZFS datasets are exempt from whatever that dirtymodules.json file is being used for? Or is that something that would have to go through Volker?

• There are two main problem in omv-zfs plugin

First is NFS shares problem
    NFS share prevent from mounting at boot

Second is Fstab problem
    something like a ...
    mount: can't find /openmediavault in /etc/fstab'

Both are solved, but it is not released yet, since OMV 3.0.60 is not released which omv-zfs depends on
    and I think OMV 3.0.60 release term will be longer than others due to many changes

if you want to test these developer version
    install deb I attached like omv-extras and
    Developer->Setting->Install OMV from github
    Developer->Plugins->select omv-zfs->Package->Install

but remember due to that 3.0.60 is not officially released
    others plugins may not works properly

apt-get install --reinstall openmediavault openmediavault-zfs
    to rollback packages previous version

• Okay, thanks. I was mainly wanting to point it out in case it wasn't on anyone's radar; the workaround will carry me through until 3.0.60 is released and we can get the (several) updated plugins out. Mostly I just expected it was a one-time thing and didn't think it'd be coming back.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!