[HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

• Fix state field and Initial support for snapshot tab

Known bug
    1. snapshot tab paging doesn't works well you should have to click refresh before using (it seems like omv bug, I reported)

As a note, the paging lists "1 of 1" on the bottom of the page, but the "Next" and "Last" arrows are lit up. When I clicked on the Next arrow, it took me ahead a page and displayed "2 of 98". So it's display bug at worst, rather than functionality.

Which leads me to my next point. I have 98 pages of snapshots, finding the right ones will be non-trivial. Not worried about that because I know htis is initial support, but if we can implement filtering, or for that matter displaying the exact same screen that the main plugin used in 3.0.8 and earlier, it would be easier to identify the snapshots.

Keep in mind part of this too is my own damned fault, because I'm too lazy to setup the script for individual snapshots per dataset. So I do it on the main ZPool's dataset and do it recursively so I don't have to set it up working backwards. That means I've got 165 or so snapshots because of my intervals, which are functionally empty, on two different pools. Even so, removing those only brings me down to 84 pages, so yeah.

On the subject of snapshots, you were asking about auto snapshot functionality. There's apparently a script that does auto-snapshots based on a user-defined property indicating whether to snapshot or not. I haven't tried it personally, but it might be worth looking into: https://github.com/bdrewery/zfstools

• How many is that exactly? :D:D

That would be 165ish per dataset. As opposed to Imperial buttloads, which would be around 200. :D

Intervals are every 15 minutes (kept for 24 hours), every hour (kept for 2 (metric :) ) or 4 (imperial :) ) days), every day kept for one week, every week kept for one month/4 weeks, every month kept for one year, and one per year kept indefinitely.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As a note, the paging lists "1 of 1" on the bottom of the page, but the "Next" and "Last" arrows are lit up. When I clicked on the Next arrow, it took me ahead a page and displayed "2 of 98". So it's display bug at worst, rather than functionality.

I've seen this on other plugins before. Not sure what causes it.

That would be 165ish per dataset. As opposed to Imperial buttloads, which would be around 200

Good to have exact numbers :D:D

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

zfs 0.6.5.9 is in jessie-backports now. This fixes the problem with compiling the module on the 4.9 kernel.

Also wondering if there is any reason we shouldn't enable this plugin on other architectures? We originally didn't because amd64 was the only arch in the ZoL repo. Now, all the architectures have the packages. Granted I don't know how well zfs will work on an RPi :)

• Hello @ryecoaaron

thanks for the information.

I want to setup my omv/zfs installation completely new. Should this be possible with kernel 4.9 and/or the current proxmox kernel now? Or do we have to wait for an omv-zfs plugin update?

Thanks and greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Offizieller Beitrag

Should this be possible with kernel 4.9

Yes since zfs 0.6.5.9 was put in the debian repos.

the current proxmox kernel now?

Yes. The proxmox kernel (4.4) worked with previous zfs packages.

Or do we have to wait for an omv-zfs plugin update?

The issue had to do with compiling the zfs module against the 4.9 kernel. This has been resolved with the zfs 0.6.5.9 packages. The plugin does not need to be updated.

• Ok, great! Thank you

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Just for your information: Yesterday I built a completely fresh omv kvm. I installed the current proxmox kernel and kernel 4.9 from debian repo. I did not have dependency issues with omv-zfs anymore.

So, at the moment everything is fine.

Thanks for all the work you investigate into omv and all the plugins, especially the zfs-plugin! ;)

Greetings Hoppel

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• I am just trying to in install OMV3 and insatlled all the updates including the 4.9 kernel. Now I just installed ZFS and its building that thing like forever it just doesn't finish.

How long should it usually take with OMV3?

OK after like 10 minutes it returned an error:

• Ok after this error I purged anythig ZF related including the plugin and reinstalled omv-zfs.

Now the module build was OK but the plugin was not installed - error code 1

Any guess what is wrong here?

• Offizieller Beitrag

How long should it usually take with OMV3?

Depends largely on how fast your cpu is.

Now the module build was OK but the plugin was not installed - error code 1

Any guess what is wrong here?

Can you post the rest of the output from installing?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Ok now the output was as follows:

It looks to me like the build failed, but the ZFS plugin is there. I uncertain if its safe to plug in the ZFS drives :) !?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Looks like it tried building the zfs module before the kernel headers were installed.

• listing the modules shows ZFS, so I guess it is working:

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is probably using the module it built the first time but not sure how it worked then.

less /proc/modules

lsmod is shorter :)

Can I restart the building of the module?

This might work... apt-get install --reinstall zfs-dkms

• Hi all

Can someone confirm if this is still the case for Freenas imports or can I import my freenas 9.10.x?

"1- Import your existing Pool ( use option in ZFS menu) ; remember that latest FreeNAS pools (9.3 and up) can't be imported due a Feature Flag not still implemented on ZFS for Linux (9.2 and down can be imported without problem), So please revise what feature Flags have your pool beforo to try to import on OMV"

If it has could someone update the instruction on page 1.

Thanks in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can someone confirm if this is still the case for Freenas imports or can I import my freenas 9.10.x?

Pretty sure those are old notes especially since they apply to OMV 1.x. and are over two years old. You can't even install zfs on OMV 1.x or 2.x since wheezy was never supported and ZoL took down the wheezy repo (we use zfs packages from the Debian repos now).

If it has could someone update the instruction on page 1.

I will let @raulfg3 fix his posts if he sees it as the proper thing to do. It is hard to maintain old posts though.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!