eSATA Port Multiplier in HP N54L...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Mine is JMicron chip, I believe most JMicron/Silicon Image chip enclosure will work

Here is the chip in my Sans Digital TR4M:

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just tried it again on my N40L.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

They can use the same bios so I think it is just a cpu difference.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Have you used it? I had the hacked bios and it still did not recognize my enclosure.

Will ask the obvious question, just in case (no offence intended, always good to check):
    have you set SATA EPS on all PORT [Enabled] and SATA IDE Combined Mode [Disabled]in the Chipset page of the hacked BIOS?

There are other options in the SB Debug Configuration you find in Chipset page. see this pic http://s18.postimg.org/isnbetwe0/bios.jpg

Btw, there is a guy showcasing his n45l with the same enclosure you mentioned (and windows home server as the OS), so the issue other than bad configuration might be a crappy firmware in the enclosure or a bug in the linux driver.
    http://homeservershow.com/hp-p…r4mbnc-hss-meet-2013.html
    Here another guy with n40l that buys and uses it.
    http://homeservershow.com/foru…rt-multiplier-jbod-tower/

And here a guy using Xpenology (synology firmware recompiled to run everywhere, it is linux) that is experiencing problems
    http://homeservershow.com/foru…n-esata/page-8#entry88068

Here a possible solution, setting the controller to RAID in BIOS http://homeservershow.com/foru…n-esata/page-8#entry90334

• Frankly speaking I also tried Xpenology, same thing happened to me, from dmesg I can clearly see that Xpenology should have done something to keep it from working, but there are still some people got their enclosure working well. For me, Xpenology can only see 1st drive as well, no matter using AHCI/RAID option, but booting normal Ubuntu linux won't see this issue. I also tried FreeBSD, which is even worse, the system will stuck at boot.

• I'm going to be just a little bit off topic here...

a while ago I purchased a card for my N54L with two internal SATA ports (my system drive is running from one of them) and two external USB3.0 ports.
    This was a “two birds with one stone” scenario. I have more internal SATA ports for Hard Drives and I can attach external hard drives for backups that run at full speed.
    Most enclosures (maybe not the ones mentioned in this thread) run with both USB 3.0 and eSATA connections.
    Would it not be better to bypass all this mess with chipsets compatibility and BIOS mods having a USB 3.0 port? Am I missing something here??
    Thanks
    FT

• Offizieller Beitrag

@bobafetthotmail, I guess you are right :) I thought I disabled the ide mode for ports 4/5 but I still had it on enabled (must not have saved the change). It is working now although I get a bunch of port multiplier errors at boot and takes a bit longer to boot (still works though).

• Glad you got it working :) I'll make sure I duplicate the settings in my BIOS.

@edwardwong out of interest, what board is your C2550 sat on? It wouldn't be an ASRock would it? Like the C2550D4I?

Edit:
    @ftriscari none of the ports on the N54L are USB3, as you mentioned- you need to add a card. I would probably choose the stability of eSATA over USB3 any day and being that there is a port, most users would probably not need to purchase. YMMV, But as I mentioned a few posts back, a couple of the JMicron chipsets had issues. This was mainly related to the USB3 (but I did hear it was also eSATA) - this is probably a moot point now as it looks like it's been fixed. I guess then, it boils down to preference. At the end of the day, whatever you choose, you'll still be limited by the PCI bus which I don't think will allow full USB3 speeds anyway.

Edit2: and don't forget.. You could also purchase a naff USB3 chipset ;)

• Glad you got it working :) I'll make sure I duplicate the settings in my BIOS.

@edwardwong out of interest, what board is your C2550 sat on? It wouldn't be an ASRock would it? Like the C2550D4I?

Yes, the hidden SATA settings are easily to be ignored at the very beginning (I set it once and never touch it, so I also forget to ask you guys to check).
    And yeah, my C2550 is an Asrock C2550D4i (C2750D4i was out of stock and distributor has no schedule to have it in stock), while the Asus P9A-I/2750/SAS/4L is also not available in my country as well. You can check this post for detail of my new build.

• I thought it might have been. I'm having serious thoughts on the C2750D4I in a Silverstone DS380 >:-D it would make a nice upgrade. I wasn't going to change right now but... I'm a big of a tech and gadget magpie. I see shiny things and I usually end up buying them.

• yeah....that's what I did, actually my HP N54L was bought at around USD 120, which is so freaking cheap, I'm thinking to put it somewhere else for not so cpu intensive applications.

But if you are able to find the Asus one, I suggest you should go for it, it makes use of mini 8088 SFF connector, which allows you to expand much easier.

• Yeah I got mine pretty cheap. I paid about £130 for it but HP had some insane cash back offer so it was less than half that, I don't remember the exact price but it was cheap.

Doesn't look like I can get that Asus board easily, but to be honest -

// Get on soap box

I HATE strongly dislike Asus. They are the most unprofessional company to deal with and you'll burn money buying their crap. Their warranty procedure and idiot outsourced repair centres are useless and they misdiagnosed issues and incorrectly referred to parts by the wrong names e.g they called a stick of RAM a memory card! (I actually reported this to Asus HQ and they tried to correct me stating that it was indeed a memory card!!). I don't know anyone in the industry that calls RAM, Memory cards. Their tech support have no idea what they are talking about and are never able to fix problems. Every single Asus product I have owned has developed a fault (with the exception of the Nexus 7 2nd gen) - their build quality is poor and their firmware is BUGGY. I had a G73JH that developed a fault, bought a G73SW and it was riddled with bugs including a bios brick bug which they never fixed (and still refuse to) whereby the EZ-FLASH utility will brick the board if you flash from NTFS- this is utterly diabolical and totally unacceptable. I know people who have had to fork out hundreds for new mobos because of this! The G73SW also has terrible DSDT code and a hideously implemented backlit keyboard and a crappy subwoofer implementation that never worked even with their own drivers. I had a router which failed after a year (N66U), then another (RT-AC68U) poor performance sent back to Amazon then finally their RT-AC87U recently and again: poor performance and no help or resolution from their tech support - Amazon comments reflect their awful service - I sent it back.

At the end of the day these are just my opinions and personal experiences and others may have had the exact opposite but I would HIGHLY recommend that anyone considering an Asus product make sure they test it thoroughly and keep a damn good eye on it - PRAY you don't have to deal with their tech support or repair centres! They lure you in with great pricing and impressive spec on paper and that is where the good things end. I may revisit in the future, but I'll keep my receipt handy and put everything I get through its paces within 28 days with a scrutinising eye ;)

// Get off soap box

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have an rt-n66u running tomato by shibby at home that is flawless. I also maintain another rt-n66u (tomato by shibby) with 26 rt-n10/rt-n12 (all dd-wrt) at the school I do work for. In three years, I have only had three rt-n10s (no rt-n12) fail because of teachers stacking books on them. I have had a couple of asus motherboards with no issues and have worked on lots of HP/Compaqs with asus boards with no hardware problems. I have never called their tech support but I have been very happy with their products :)

• I guess that shows that it really is a case of YMMV.

The N66U I had was good until it died. The others weren't great. I had poor ping times and dropped connections from the 68 and 87 even with dd-wrt on them. The 87s dd-wrt was beta, but even stock was awful. Recently I've taken to just eliminating the consumer routers altogether. The modem connects to a box running pfsense then to a switch with a wifi AP. This way also suits me better from a modular upgradability point of view.

I've never had just an Asus board, but like I mentioned, the laptops were problematic. Maybe the custom firmware HP/Compaq blew in was cleaner.

Just for a chuckle:

Sadly, apart from the 'memory card' being defective, they also don't seem to be able to make up their mind what the original size was. Also, the sub still didn't work when it got back - the repair centre replaced a 'working' unit because they couldn't get the drivers working either, so assumed it was broken. Also, the memory was authorised - it was changed by their only official UK reseller at point of sale. I forwarded this email to Asus when I complained and they referred to the RAM as a memory card themselves. I was shocked. :-/

[sorry that this has all been hideously off topic, but when it comes to negative hardware experiences, I feel duty bound to inform others]

• My Nexus 7 has been nothing but great. But I feel that this may be down to Google breathing down their neck to make sure the QC was in order. Stock Android has rarely caused me issues. I may try one of their boards.. But I will never buy one of their routers or laptops again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just did a speed test. I was shocked by the results.

four drive raid 5 array connected to e-sata port
    aaron@backup:/media/ea041460-5918-4855-8759-663d5ed41e3b$ sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=zero2.dd bs=1M conv=fdatasync count=5000
    5000+0 records in
    5000+0 records out
    5242880000 bytes (5.2 GB) copied, 82.828 s, 63.3 MB/s

three drive raid 5 array in drive bays
    aaron@backup:/media/64fc74b5-e188-48ab-96a8-0be0a5338976$ sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=zero2.dd bs=1M conv=fdatasync count=5000
    5000+0 records in
    5000+0 records out
    5242880000 bytes (5.2 GB) copied, 23.3503 s, 225 MB/s

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!