First NAS Build Questions

• Hey everyone, I've been looking to do a NAS build for more than a year now and have slowly cycled through all the OS options before finally settling on OMV. I have a few questions about my build and compatibility since I just came out of the super paranoid world of Freenas. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Current Budget - ~$600
    Preferred Budget - ~$500

Current Build
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($71.98 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($81.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($120.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($120.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage:*ALREADY OWN* Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Storage:*ALREADY OWN* Laptop drive out of old Macbook Pro for primary OS install
    Case: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($100.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series Fanless 460W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular Fanless ATX Power Supply ($125.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $682.89
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-04 13:07 EDT-0400

Goals For the Build
    The main intention for this box is to be a plex media server. I am hoping to not do a lot of transcoding, but I would like to give myself the wiggle room to do it when needed. My intention is to run RAID5 with WD Red 3TBx3 holding all the plex media and then probably a single 500GB drive I have laying around for some music and photo backups. Nothing on the server will be irreplaceable hence my move away from +$1000 Freenas build. I'm looking for a setup that will be quiet since it will be in my living room and not use a ton of power most of the time so I can just leave it up and running.

Questions
    1. Am I going to have any hardware compatibility issues with OMV? Being Debian instead of FreeBSD based seems to remove most of those kinds of issues.

2. Is there anything I can do to bring the price down without hurting my performance significantly or ability to add hard drives in the future? A power supply that would be cheaper would be great, but I'm not sure about the added noise of a fan and having enough sata connections.

3. Am I over thinking my performance requirements and I should toss this out and just go for like a N54L since with the hard drives that would be less than $400?

Any other advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

1 - All of that hardware is supported. Linux has more hardware drivers than FreeBSD :)

2 - See #3. That power supply is way more than you would even need power-wise for a fileserver. You can always add splitters for hard drive power.

3 - The N54L is a very good system and cheaper. As long as you aren't transcoding a lot of 1080P media, it will be fine. You don't need 8 gb of ram to run plex and serve files either. It may not be as quiet as the system you were planning though. Hard to say since I have never worried about noise or had mine in a quiet place.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• HP N54L only do well on transcoding 720p video (most, but not all), 1080p doesn't work all (that's the reason I rebuild another one after getting N54L)

Probably getting a HP Gen 8, with a Xeon CPU swap (preferably a low voltage Xeon E3 as original heat sink only supports CPU with TDP <= 35W) can be a good idea. I saw it's cheap on Computer Universe.

• HP N54L only do well on transcoding 720p video (most, but not all), 1080p doesn't work all (that's the reason I rebuild another one after getting N54L)

Probably getting a HP Gen 8, with a Xeon CPU swap (preferably a low voltage Xeon E3 as original heat sink only supports CPU with TDP <= 35W) can be a good idea. I saw it's cheap on Computer Universe.

From what I can see for prices here in the US that would seem to be more expensive than my current build. Since I can only find the HP Gen 8 ProLiant for about $450 and then the lowest priced Xeon E3 would be another $200-250. Am I just looking for the wrong things?

• You might probably want to buy from here:
    http://www.computeruniverse.ne…erver-gen8-712317-421.asp

I have a few friends already bought one from them, I have no idea how they can sell it at such a low price (frankly speaking, I bought a brand new HP N54L with 4GB ECC + 500GB HDD with USD 120 ~2 months ago, sounds crazy?)

BTW, in US, there is Dell PowerEdge T20 with Pentium G3220 selling at USD 299, for Xeon option it will be USD 519.
    But if you look here: http://www.computeruniverse.ne…poweredge-t20-20-3708.asp
    The same thing with Xeon is really cheap in Europe (almost half price), you might want to order something from Germany from now on.

• Not too sure, I'm from HK, in local forum we organized group order starting 2 months ago, 20-30 were ordered, from the beginning we have to wait for them to order from their supplier with EUR 250, now they always have them in stock and price in EUR is dropping too! Not very sure about Gen8, but for my N54L, HP will cover parts during warranty period no matter where you are buying from, so I believe this is really a good deal.....especially for the Dell T20 (I don't want high TDP CPU therefor it's not my cup of tea).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!