Mobo and other HW suggestions wanted for new OMV box with ECC

• I know. I am very well aware of this - but as I have said many many times in previous posts, I cannot source a micro ATX server board in this country at the moment that takes 64GB of RAM.

I will keep looking over the next 2 days before the board arrives - I can always send it back if I find a server board, but I have searched high and low and I cannot find one. All of the ASRock micro ATX server boards that support 64GB are not yet available for purchase in the UK and most retailers have never even heard of them (the models, not ASRock). It's not that I do not want one, I just can't get one! We have thoroughly considered a full ATX board and a different case - but we really want the Node 804.

That said, if I've had a total brain spaz and someone knows of a UK reseller with a micro ATX server board that takes 64GB+ of DDR4 ECC, please shout out :)

• I'm on the case, looking at 2 x DDR4-2133 16GB's for £144 each. Not the best memory and not the max, but that can be changed quickly and easily in future.

Quick tip: post the product ID so that we can give feedback, and that future readers will have a trail to follow.

Zitat

I would love this board, but I cannot find it anywhere, I have searched high and low and it is just too new ;(

I know, but that's the only microatx server board you will find.
    If you really want microatx, I'd say to wait until it hits the german sellers (most asrock rack stuff can be bought from german resellers).

Zitat

We are considering either the ASRock X99M Extreme 4 or the ASRock X99M Killer

Wat?
    There is no indication in its BIOS that the ram is actually running as ECC (checked from the manual).
    This is like AMD and ECC all over again (only Asus boards say that they support ECC on AMD processors, none else does), there is little data to see if it actually runs as ECC or if it just "runs" without ECC and they are lying cowards.

Server boards show the hardware error logs inside the bios, among other things.

Zitat

In any case, all these boards are sub £200 and available, and have a ton of SATA ports and room for expansion.

Unless you are in a grave hurry, I'd advise to wait for the server boards as above or go with full ATX.

The entire point of all this circus is because you want/need ECC, server boards can't sell without ECC, prosumer boards can get away with lying about ECC.

Zitat

Preliminary ideas are a Corsair H100i for £75... need to double check if it will fit in the case we get (which is undecided).

You can get away with smaller radiators too, as you don't overclock.
    Here it shows the Corsair H60 keeping the CPU at 44 degrees Celsius above ambient temp. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com…-CPU-Cooler-Review/1681/6
    Here the H100i http://www.hardwaresecrets.com…-CPU-Cooler-Review/1719/6

You also see how watercoolers aren't particularly better than a good air cooler. Watercoolers are more compact though.

Zitat

Roger that ;) ECC is needed for ZFS.

A clarification: There are two kinds of ECC, registered and unbuffered (why the hell they don't call it unregistered is an open question).
    If you mix a registered dimm with a unbuffered one the computer won't boot at all, even if both are ECC.

Zitat

Looking like we've got a E5-2687Wv3 coming, so we'll see how things go!

I've seen it around at a few thousand euro/bucks. You sure you need to spend so much for a processor in a home server?
    I mean the average i5 can transcode a 4k with power to spare.

As for PSU, Delta, Seasonic or Super Flower.
    No, not kidding. Super Flower routinely rocks pro reviews.
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com…ower-Supply-Review/1626/7
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modul…eviews&op=Story3&reid=370

• Memory: http://www.dabs.com/products/c…red-dimm-288pin-9QPG.html

Board: correct me if I am wrong, but the spec and manual say that it supports ECC providing a Xeon E5 is used. Are you saying that this is not the case? I may wait if this is really how it is, but the Node 804 is the box we want so I cannot, unfortunately, go full ATX.

Cooler: I may overclock in the future. I'll bear the reduced space options in mind though. Remember that I am building this so I don't need to change much down the line.

PSU: still considering which one. Thanks for the recommendations. Never heard of Super Flower, will check it out.

CPU: I didn't spend thousands on it. A friend of mine owns a local repair shop and is breaking (for parts) a machine with one in - when I say I've 'pushed the order button', I mean it figuratively in this case in that I've nabbed it by registering my interest. Once the unit is fully tested, I'll get mates rates since we've known each other for about 25 years. It'll cost the same as I was originally going to spend on the E3. If this isn't a win, I don't know what is - provided it passes a burn in. Once we decided to go E5 instead of E3, the original choices were the E5-1650v3 or E5-2620v3 or E5-2640v3 all which can be found for less than £800.

Edit: by the way, I'm not trying to be difficult but the sole reason that we like the look of the Node 804 is because of 1. It's excellent reviews, and 2. The ability to fit 8 x 3.5 drives in it. I am trawling through various brands now to see if I can find another case that isn't too much larger that is still cable of taking 8 drives but will fit a full ATX board. I've been looking through Antec, Corsair, Thermaltake, Bit Fenix, Cooltek, Fractal and others. The only way that I can see us fitting 8 drives in it, is if we go more of a tower shape. The Fractal Define XL R2 is probably about the closest. But I'm not keen on that. The wife seems to like the Thermaltake Core X9 despite its size, yet it's geared more towards cooling than using the space for drives.. And it's huge... Too big to sit where my current HP does now.

• Normal drives consumes less than 15W even in working condition, so you can save another 135W and get a 400W PSU

• @bobafetthotmail - after much searching and digging - you're right. No ECC :-/ I'll cancel the x99 and node. I'll have to look at other options in the morning now. It's 0227hrs. I'm not sure if we want to wait, I'll look again at standard ATX server boards again tomorrow.

@edwardwong - I'll have a look at smaller PSU's tomorrow. Since it looks like the only option now is definitely a server board, I guess I'll get staggered spin up and my power concerns are invalid.

Thank you both for all your help today.

• Cooler: I may overclock in the future.

I somehow doubt it. The Xeons are server processors, multiplier is locked. Overclocking is very limited. Also a very bad idea on a device that is supposed to be reliable, and frankly unnecessary for a long while if you manage to get that beast.

Zitat

PSU: still considering which one. Thanks for the recommendations. Never heard of Super Flower, will check it out.

Grab the hard drives, look at the stickers on them, they should state the amps at 5 volt and amps at 12 volt. Use an online calculator volt/amp to watt to crunch both into a wattage, check that your PSU can give enough watts on either voltage with some to spare (PSUs state the max wattage they can erogate on each voltage, it's not only a big round number).

PSUs do age and lose power generation capacity with the years (especially if always on), so don't stay too tight with the watt budget. I would not go under the 550 watt mark even by just eyeballing, crunch numbers and see what is needed.

Staggered startup is cool, but it's mostly there to allow you to power ridicolous amounts of drives (or 12 drives in a 1U rack) and you can't fit a bigger PSU in the rack than doing tricks to save 40-60 bucks in a PSU.

Zitat

If this isn't a win, I don't know what is - provided it passes a burn it.

Seriously, that's beyond high end. It laughs at anything else non-top-tier-xeon by a fair margin. If you get it for anywhere near a thousand bucks/euros its a damn nice deal.
    Point is, it's still probably well beyond overkill for a home server, and you can easily save a lot of money if you go with something in the 600 euro/buck range.
    Xeon processors do lose price pretty damn fast, so any future upgrade will be cheep.
    It's not the madness that are consumer-grade processors where you still find now top-tier socket 775 processors sold at 250 euro/bucks (when any decent pentium at less than 100 will run circles around them)

Zitat

I'm not trying to be difficult but the sole reason that we like the look of the Node 804

Don't worry man, I know, I know, a case is like a dress. You only need to like it (if it isn't total crap from a performance point of view) to make it a good reason to be picky.

Zitat

I'm not sure if we want to wait, I'll look again at standard ATX server boards again tomorrow.

I don't think that being in a so big hurry will be beneficial in the end. It never does. Can't you get a time out to get things right without losing sleep?
    I mean that's a big investment, take your time to do it right.

Zitat

The only way that I can see us fitting 8 drives in it, is if we go more of a tower shape.

There are various interesting adapters out there, that turn 5.25 drive bays into pro hotswap bays.
    Here a simple list off Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=…eywords=hotswap+drive+bay

Or just internal hard drive mount points. http://www.frozencpu.com/produ…l=g34c273s852&id=RWWsuocG

That can help you fit 8 drives in a case.

You might try looking for a case that is designed to have zillions of 5.25 drive bays. Something unsuspicious like this http://www.ms-tech.de/eng/inde…/detail/pdcid/65/pdid/280 , of course, not an Antec 900 that screams GAMING!!!! GAMING!!!!! to anyone in range.

Zitat

And it's huge... Too big to sit where my current HP does now.

Heh, might want to adapt the space a bit to accomodate the server then.
    Maybe if you flip the tower you can find a good place for it without pulling out a chainsaw and breaking furniture.
    Try looking for "tower" cases that can be flipped and kept horizontal, like this http://www.servercase.co.uk/sh…s-server-case-crs8001buh/

Or rackmount cases with better-than-average looks http://www.servercase.co.uk/sh…-x-35-hdd-bays-sc-33380b/

The same site also sells the hotswap adapters, motherboards and other server stuff, so look around.

Zitat

What about this: EPC612D8A-TB

For all the love I have for Asrock, I'd say the supermicro board I talked about above beats this easily (and can be sourced with relative ease, may need to use google translate). Pretty much any Supermicro board with the ports you want is a good choice if you go ATX. Decades of experience, superior IPMI, and so on. Asrock Rack is new, they did some noob mistakes last year even if they still managed to do a big splash, and seem to be on good tracks for this year's stuff.
    That board has a Marvell controller, thunderbold port, firewire, audio... that's a server damnit, what is all this stuff doing in there?
    Btw, thunderbolt runs badly in Linux afaik.
    EDIT: No wait, just looked up, in kernel 3.17 they added support it seems http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux…7d23b164b03ec116dcfdf73e0

• Zitat

When we need more space, way down the line - I will consider 7200s.

Noticed this just now.
    I'm going to suggest WD red drives for any upgrade, although other manufacturers make NAS-oriented HDDs that can be good too (Can't help with this, I use mainly WD)
    These drives are "designed for use in a NAS", although it is technically just an advanced firmware slapped on the same 7200 drives they also sell with other colours.
    WD has colorful drives, they even added purple, the "surveillance" drives (optimized for running in a NAS connected to surveillance cameras, not a drive spying on you), whatever that means anyway.

Main features of interest are:
    -Configurable Time Limited Error Recovery (TLER), with a default of 7 seconds (see here for details about what that is and why for ZFS it is good to have it, although it is not as critical as with hardware raid controllers https://forums.freenas.org/ind…support-on-a-drive.27126/ )
    -IntelliPower disk rotation speeds (like Green drives) (fancy way of saying they run at RPM between 5400 and 7200 depending on load or whatever)
    -Vibration reduction mechanism in hardware (dunno how real is this claim).
    -3 year warranty for normal and 5 year for the Pro ones (because why not?)

As I said other manufacturers offer NAS-oriented drives with similar features (more or less), so if you buy moar drives it's a good idea to get ones that state they are for NAS use.
    Don't throw away your drives now heh, just good for the future.

• Zitat

What do you think of: Supermicro X10SRA-F?

Good, as said above anyway. That's a server mobo with all the stuff a server mobo should have and no frivolous things or crappy controllers, I don't understand why they added audio, but that's the only weird stuff in there, it won't impact anything.

Guess you can have it sound a siren when a drive fails, or to talk and answer to your voice commands.
    Very scifi. A bit complex but doable. Various projects.

• Ordered!

I like Sci-Fi. I'm expecting this to make my coffee and clean the house, ya know :P

Settled on Thermaltake Core V71. 8 bays, a ton of room and looks like the case is well built yet the airflow looks good.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have maintain two Supermicro boards. Wonderful boards. You will love IPMI :)

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Great choice, Supermicro is a robust partner you've ever met.

Yeah it cost a bit more than I thought I was going to spend on a PSU, apparently no one wants 400w platinums so the price is a lot more :-S never mind, I think I'm a little past worrying about an extra £50 on a PSU!

Edit: sorry misread that as Seasonic not Supermicro

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!