Power-saving motherboard with CPU for a NAS?

• Hi there,

I'm looking for a solution that would provide power-saving motherboard and CPU (can be built-in) for a NAS I'd like to set up (mostly file server, nothing fancy). I plan to use hardware RAID capabilities and "green" SATA hard-drives (non-SSD).

Could you please let me know your suggestions for potential solutions? Does it make any sense for home use?

Thanks!

Kind regards,
    K

• hardware raid: which controller do you have in mind?

PS: Hardware is total overkill for home usage and definitly not something you need.

PPS: Do not mistak raid with backup.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I'd like to have simple mirroring between the drives based on RAID. I thought I should rather have motherboard with RAID hardware support as it sounds more efficient to me. I expect built-in controller. I hope this answers your question. Otherwise let me know. Thanks.

//edit:

I thought about your suggestion and archiving (copying with compression) to second drive could do the work.

Please share your suggestions regarding power-saving solution for multiple non-SSD drives. Thanks!

• Don't even consider the hw raid and your motherboard, you regret it the day your motherboard dies. Use software raid instead if you want to have raid. Mirroring does not consume cpu power.

But I would rather use a rsync backup instead, protects you against accidental deletion, unlike a mirror.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Any suggestions regarding actual motherboard + cpu products?

Don't know what you want to achieve, File sharing only? Streaming? Transcoding? VMs?

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!