aufs/mhddfs - choose drive by % available instead of bytes available?

• I've created an mhddfs pool over several drives of varying sizes - one 4TB, two 2TB, and four 1TB. I chose mhddfs after reading several threads on these forums which seemed to indicate it was the better choice, slightly slower performance but more stable (at least until LayerFS). I set the threshold to 100%, hoping to mimic aufs by striping the data more evenly across the drives. However, it appears that the drive is selected based on the number of free bytes, rather than the percentage of the drive that is free, so of course all the writes are done to the single 4TB drive (I transferred my music collection to the pool via ftp and only the 4TB drive was utilized). Is there a way to change this behavior so that the drive is chosen based on percentage? Is this a terrible idea and not something I would want anyway?

• Offizieller Beitrag

aufs doesn't stripe data evenly across drives. It always writes to the drive with the most free space. mhddfs with a threshold of 100% does the exact same thing. So, when you use different size drives, it is going to write to the largest drive for quite a while. What you want is write to the drive keeping the used space equal. Unfortunately, this is not possible with aufs or mhddfs.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you are reading from the pool and you are using mhddfs, fuse is the speed bottleneck not the location of the files. If you want speed, aufs is the way to go since it is kernel level.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!