Can't connect to share with login from Windows 8.1

• Good midday,

All my previous OVM shares where publicly available. But now I created a share where only I may login (PXE share), I tried creating a test user and an my own user, but I keep getting NT_ACCESS_DENIED when trying to connect from Windows 8.1.
    When I try to connect from a Linux box via smbclient it works as expected.

I'm not quite sure where to look since I can't find anything in the log files nor in the Windows Event Log.

• Tried that, but that doesn't work. I think it's an interoperability problem with Samba and Windows 8.1 since smbclient can connect without problems.

Also I notice that the Password length: is 1 and Password: 00 according to Wireshark and I don't know if that is default behavior.

• Found the problem I think. I had the public shares mapped as network drive without login credentials.

I removed the drives, restarted the computer and then after logging in I could connect using my username and password.

• All my previous OVM shares where publicly available. But now I created a share where only I may login (PXE share), I tried creating a test user and an my own user, but I keep getting NT_ACCESS_DENIED when trying to connect from Windows 8.1.

In short: Windows is dumb. It can only login via one credential per one hostname. You can workaround that with a entry in the hosts file. Thats how I access my NAS if I need to access with multiple users.

When I try to connect from a Linux box via smbclient it works as expected.

Yup. Linux can do that just fine.

Found the problem I think. I had the public shares mapped as network drive without login credentials.

I removed the drives, restarted the computer and then after logging in I could connect using my username and password.

Exactly. The hosts file may help with that. The other solution is to add your username to the permissions of the other shares.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!