request: filesystem decision matrix for beginners

• RAID, LVM, Aufs, XFS, ext3 btrfs

OpenMediaVault supports Many for the harddisks

For files change less often (music or video) other combination of filesystems are "better" then for files change (txt, .c, odt, xls) often.

Harddisks should go to sleep as often as possible, other prefer fast response of her/his NAS

I like to have a backup of my self created files.

Some of the experience users prefer one combination, other perfer other.

Which combination is the right for me?

So the very first decisions are not easy if you are a beginner.

This is my main problem to start with OMV, ?(

I like to ask the experience user here to create a decision matrix for beginners to see the pros and cons the different combinations have.
    So an beginner (me) can see which is the "best" compromise today.

Sorry for my very german englisch... ^^

• Well - this is a tough question. A lawyer would answer "It depends!", others would write "42!". ;) And if you're asking three different people, you'll get five answers. :(

I would recommend for beginners to leave the default-settings, which means ext4. The downsides [1] are IMHO no showstoppers. Btrfs will be a good option in future. But it's AFAIK not available out of the box in Debian7. So I'll wait...

RAID, Pooling etc. are - IMHO - not an option or necessaries for home-users. Even when you're storing movies.

Most important for beginners: Start with a system, which you can understand and manage. If you want to do some experiments, use a VM.

[1] http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext4#Nachteile

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!