mhddfs segfault "transport endpoint is not connected"

• Hello

I'm having a problem with mhddfs crashing every few days or when under heavy load (ie. samba file transfers). I'll get a monit alert saying my pools filesystem does not exist. If I try to access the mount I get "transport endpoint is not connected". remounting corrects the condition, but I want to address the root of the problem if possible. I really like this setup with OMV but, this one problem is really annoying.

Google searches suggest this problem is not limited to OMV but, I haven't found a post or article that offers a good solution.

serverfault.com/questions/677352/mhddfs-randomly-breaks

The above link says there is a bug in mhddfs 0.1.39 and a workaround is to downgrade the package.

https://github.com/vdudouyt/mhddfs-nosegfault

This second link offers a version without the segfault bug. But I found no posts from anyone that uses this, so I'm not sure if it's safe.

I want advice before trying either of those possible solution to be on the safe side.

Any help would be appreciated.

--Info--
    OVM 1.19
    Running backports kernel 3.16

Code
    root@server:~# dmesg |grep mhddfs
    [115110.323967] mhddfs[4867]: segfault at 0 ip 000000000040443c sp 00007f3982bb49d0 error 4 in mhddfs[400000+a000]
    [258882.505660] mhddfs[25369]: segfault at 2 ip 000000000040443c sp 00007f8940bda9d0 error 4 in mhddfs[400000+a000]

If more information is needed, just ask.

• Exactly the same problem here, switched back to AUFS but im not really happy with it because of the .wh. files ...
    I have also permission problems sometimes with AUFS.

• Yeah.. I don't think I want to fool with AUFS because of the opaque/whiteout files; that sounds like it would make a mess of things. But, from what I understand it's not suppose to make the whiteout files unless the permissions are read-only? That doesn't seem like it would be problem.

• I built and installed the code from mhddfs-nosegfault and have been running the last few weeks. So far I haven't had a single segfault.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you have them before?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I built and installed the code from mhddfs-nosegfault and have been running the last few weeks. So far I haven't had a single segfault.

I tried this in OMV, but it didn't work. How did you do the build and installation?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here is the package. If it fixes the problem, I can put this in the repo.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Zitat

Same problem here: Transport endpoint is not connected (107) - every day.mhddfs is not usable this time.

We have recently found that sometimes, mhddfs can halt with the following error which is believed to be an internal bug in FUSE:

Zitat

fuse internal error: node 2238037 not found

So please consider to check that you're building mhddfs-nosegfault as least against FUSE-2.9.4. If this problem persists, then please consider to run mhddfs in foreground mode (you might want to use GNU Screen), and collect an output when it halts again.

• mhddfs segfault "transport endpoint is not connected"[/url]']Here is the package. If it fixes the problem, I can put this in the repo.

Is updating the repo possible? I have been running the 'no-segfault' version for quite a while now and have not seen the "transport endpoint is not connected" once. It does seem that the pooling plugin is much more stable in MHDDFS mode when making use of this package.

• Is updating the repo possible? I have been running the 'no-segfault' version for quite a while now and have not seen the "transport endpoint is not connected" once. It does seem that the pooling plugin is much more stable in MHDDFS mode when making use of this package.“

Same here, works fine, without "no-segfault" version i got endpoint errors every few hours and i had to reboot my OMV machine.
    Im on 2.1.14 now.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Added amd64 version to stoneburner-testing repo.

• I have tried mergerfs few days ago, also got transport endpoint errors ... so decided to switch back to mhddfs.

Installed OMV completely new(100% clean), installed latest Union Filessystems plugin (testing repo), created a mhddfs pool with 4x4TB WD Reds.
    Saw in the log that mhddfs nosegfault version got correctly installed.
    Still transport endpoint errors, i dont know what to do and why this happen.
    Problem occurs when downloading some GB and extracting them.
    Also when rsync some GB to my OMV backup machine.

What are the correct steps to fullcheck my hardrives for bad sectors/errors on debian, maybe thats the problem ?
    Sorry im a linux beginner, but ssh and some more are no problem.

All i can see in syslog is this:

Thanks !

• I use mergerFS for several weeks and have no problems, I use it in a 8x2TB=16TB pool, this pool only have one folder=Video, and inside this video Folder I have a lot of folders (series/TV/Films/Manga/etc..)

And as I say, no problem, only notice a small banwith like say here: Unionfilesystem Plugin

• Litte Update, i got no more transport endpoint errors since monday.
    Disabled APM, ALPM and write cache for all my drives.
    Unplugged my 2,5" backup USB disk, maybe defective, have to check.

• In the morning the problem returned ... wihle downloading and postprocessing these.
    All my harddrives and my mhddfs pool got dismounted, had to restart. (Is there any quicker solution instead of restart ?)
    In the syslog i can see that mkvmerge caused the segfault, maybe thats my problem.
    Updated mkvtoolnix now, it was more then 2 years old. (Debian package added to my /etc/apt/sources.list now)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!