Beiträge von Alchemist

This can also be a problem since features/fixes depend on the kernel version as well. With a default OMV4 installation you're running with kernel 4.9 so you need to either install a backports kernel or proxmox kernel (recommended) to get a more recent kernel version.
    When you combine mdraid6 with btrfs your whole array is prone to the 'classical' parity RAID write hole, resulting in data corruption when degraded in case of crashes and power losses and as such the btrfs array on top can be lost as a whole at any time in such situations. Using btrfs' own raid56 mode requires a really recent kernel and you are still affected by the parity RAID hole (creating the array with -draid6 -mraid1 protects the filesystem but still data corruption might occur once you run the RAID fully degraded and experience a crash or power loss)

I would strongly recommend to read through https://github.com/openmediavault/openmediavault/issues/101 (dealing with a lot of FUD/BS and talking about OMV5 and as such at least kernel 4.19 and btrfs-progs version 4.20!) or choose the TL;DR variant: ZFS/RAIDz2

Looks like i have to stay with my current setup for the time being, didn't think Btrfs still has issues like this ...

But since I am only doing the upgrade in half a year ( or later ) either the Btrfs Raid6 Problems are solved or i'll go with ZFS RaidZ2 instean :)

Do you plan to use mdraid's RAID 6 with btrfs on top or creating a btrfs raid6 with -draid6 -mraid1?

Good question, so far I have not used Btrfs yet - right now I'm still using FreeNas 11.2 with ZFS, but I'd like to switch back to OpenMediaVault and retain the ability to take snapshots (testet it for 3 Months now).

I know that i can also use ZFS with OpenMediaVault (Proxmox Kernel / ZoL), but since Btrfs is already Part on the Linux Kernel and not a Kernel Module, i want to use it over ZFS.

Anyway, I have little to no idea about Btrfs, but I do not want to use Ext4 anymore ;)

Hello everyone :D

I was thinking about upgrading the Storage of my current NAS in the next ~6 Months from 1x 2TB + 1x 4TB to a RAID 6 with 6x 4TB Disks (using Btrfs as the File System).

But since the Mainboard in my NAS only has 6 + 2 SATA Ports ( 2x 6GB/s + 4x 3 GB/s are from the Z77 Chipset + 2x 6GB/s are from from ASMedia ) the upgradability is quite limited.

In addition, I do not trust ASMedia and don't know how well the Z77 chipset can handle 24/7 operation ( especially after what happened with the Intel 2000 Series Chipsets ).

In this sense - would you recommend to buy a SATA / SAS PCIe HBA instead of connecting the Hard Drives to the SATA Ports provided by the Chipset?

And if yes, what about the Drivers / Hardware compatibility with OpenMediaVault?

I know that the Linux Kernel supports a wide range of Hardware, but are there particular Controllers which don't run (well or at all) with Debian (Broadcom / LSI?) or some that do run really good?

I hope someone can answer my burning question, thanks in advance and good night :thumbup:

Hello,

I want to install Plex Media Server on my Open Media Vault NAS, but the USB Stick which OMV 4 runs off is too small (8GB), and I don't want to stress my Hard Disk as much as possible.

Hardware used in my NAS:

So adding a SSD to my NAS seems to be the best option, but could I get away buying the cheapest SSD i can find (e.g. Kingston A400 120GB), or would a bigger/better SSD (e.g. Crucial MX500 250GB) make more (if any) sense?

The last time I used Plex was when I still used OMV2 on the same NAS, and the Plex Database occupied around 3GB of space on my USB Stick, so 250GB seem to be a bit overkill..?

And btw, either one 1080p Stream to my Google Chromecast or one 720p Stream to my Android Smartphone would be the worst case scenario, if someone want to know.

I hope someone can give me a recommendation, thanks in advance

Greetings from Germany :thumbup:

I would definitely try something else other than that usb stick. Just don't copy the install from the old usb stick to the new media. That will just transfer the problem.

Yes, I also tried a old 8GB SanDisk SSD, but it usually takes weeks or months for problems to occur.

And I already formatted the Stick, so using the old stuff is out of question :)

Edit

Looks like H2testw didn't found any Problems ...

Hello Guys :thumbup:

3 months ago, I installed OMV 4.0.14, and everything run perfectly fast and stable, but 2 Weeks ago my NAS suddenly stopped working.

(Couldn't connect at all, neither SSL nor GUI would work)

Apparently something was wrong with the ext4 file system on my /sda1 drive (my SLC-USB Stick), so I tried to force fsck on reboot ...

When the NAS booted again I loocked at the monitor, and saw this:

Then I resetted the NAS, but it wouldn't boot anymore...

The USB Stick is by the way now almost 2 Years old, I used it all the time until december 30th 2017 with Open Media Vault 2.2.14 and since the end of 2016 with Flash Memory Plugin, but because I couldn't get it to run on 4.0.14, I disabled the performance monitoring to reduce some of the writes.

But for some reason, the Stick works perfectly under Windows, so I dont know what it is that ruined my install of OMV

(it happend multiple times before, I dont know if it's my fault though)

Oh and I tested the RAM yesterday with Memtest86+, but it completed without any errors, so I assume it has nothing to do with that.

Anyway, I simply want my NAS to no longer crash and die every now and then, should I maybe try to install OMV on a SSD?

And if I go with a SSD, what would you recommend (do you think the Kingston A400 SSD 120GB would work?)

It's just so tiring having trouble with my NAS all the time, I just wish that everything worksat the first try...

Hope someone can help me X/

Greetings from Germany

Hello Guys,

I'm a little confused with all the available versions of OMV, and I have no idea which to pick ...

Right now I'm using 2.2.14 and all I do with it is managing some shares in my Home Network, no Plugins etc.

Would it make any sense to upgrade to a newer Version or should I stick with my current one?

Thanks in advance :)

So, nachdem meine letzte OMV 2.1 Installation durch die ganzen Fehler kaum noch nutzbar war und ich günstig an zwei 4TB HDDs gekommen bin habe ich es gestern neu installiert

Habe dann in der Raid Verwaltung die beiden 4TB Platten zu einem RAID 1 zusammengefasst und das über Nacht syncen lassen

Heute morgen habe ich dann als es fertig war noch als ext4 Formatiert, eingebunden und eine SMB Freigabe erstellt, was ohne Probleme funktioniert hat

Dann habe ich mein NAS heruntergefahren weil ich im BIOS noch die Bootreihenfolge überprüft habe und als ich es wieder hochgefahren habe war das RAID weg ...

Code
    root@openmediavault:~# cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities :
    unused devices: <none>
    root@openmediavault:~#
    Code
    root@openmediavault:~# blkid
    /dev/sdc1: UUID="afb22902-2fc8-4119-b7a7-b26be4f6f470" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sdc3: LABEL="MX8" UUID="ec72c76f-aee8-4142-aa01-b501606e1e74" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sdc5: UUID="4f2a2373-6077-40f1-8a8e-d86de3a0de1f" TYPE="swap"

Ich hoffe jemand kann damit was anfangen ...

Eigentlich wollte ich heute Morgen nur die Daten der alten NAS Platten auf das RAID 1 kopieren lassen dass wenn ich wieder nach Hause komme alles fertig ist, aber das hat sich jetzt vorerst erledigt ...

Gruß :thumbup:

Und .. Funktioniert es jetzt? ( natürlich muss du den Netzwerk Service neu starten nach dem Änderungen vornimmst) am einfachsten Reboot

Das E am ende habe ich nur nicht richtig ausgeschnitten, funktioniert trotzdem nicht ...

Ich werde jetzt einfach mal ein Backup aufspielen und hoffen dass ich wieder alles hinbekomme, falls nicht heißt es wieder neu installieren

Grüße

Seltsame Subnetzmaske! Bei mir steht da 255.255.255.0.
    Nach Änderungen an den Netzwerkeinstellungen kann es manchmal etwas dauern, bis sich die Teilnehmer alle wiederfinden, weil manches lokal gecached wird und Aktualisierungen nur in bestimmten Abständen laufen.

Stimmt, ist nicht die Subnetzmaske ...

Ich habe jedenfalls den Router gewechselt und deswegen die IP gewechselt

Seit ein paar Tagen kann ich wie im Titel zu sehen kann ich in der Aktualisierungsverwaltung weder nach neuen Updates suchen noch die vier vorhandenen Updates installieren

Bevor jemand fragt: alles was ich in den letzten Wochen an meinem NAS gemacht habe ist:

• den RAM für eine Woche von 4GB auf 16GB und dann wieder auf 4GB gewechselt
    • Einen Passiven CPU Kühler installiert (ARCTIC Alpine M1 Passive)
    • Die Subnetzmaske von 192.168.1.xxx auf 192.168.0.xxx den Router gewechselt

Wenn ich die vorhandenen vier Updates installieren will kommt das:

Vor der Fehlermeldung stand da immer das hier:

Wenn ich nach neuen Updates zu suche dann kommt das Fenster hier:

Vor dieser Fehlermeldung hat die suche immer geloopt und ich musste den Browser aktualisieren (F5)

Volle Fehlermeldung:

Zum zweiten Problem:

Wenn ich im Browser den Plex Client öffnen möchte kommt immer das hier (egal mit welchem Browser und Gerät):

Die IP meines NAS ist 192.168.0.1 und über 192.168.0.20:32400 sollte man ja normalerweise den Server erreichen ?(

Was noch merkwürdiger ist dass ich aber trotzdem mit der Android App auf den Server zugreifen kann und ganz normal alles anschauen kann:

Was mir außerdem noch aufgefallen ist dass auf einmal bei der Qualität der Transcodierung immer "20 Mbps 1080p" ausgewählt ist, selbst wenn die Qualität der Videos viel geringer ist :huh:

Ich habe jedenfalls keine Ahnung was da passiert ist oder was ich falsch gemacht habe, wenn jemand sagen kann wie man das wieder hinbekomme wäre ich darüber sehr dankbar :thumbup:

Falls noch Informationen benötigt werden stelle ich die natürlich gerne zur Verfügung

Grüße

Why are you uploading the plex .deb? If you are on OMV 3.x, enabling the plex repo in omv-extras adds the official plex repo. If you are on OMV 2.x, then you can't use the official plex package.

Im on OMV 2.2.13 with the 3.16 Kernel

Then i guess thats the Problem ...

By the way, for some reason my Harddrive instantly spins downif I do not use it ... No matter what I set for the time and Power Management

And for some other reason my "System Drive" is sdb and my "File Drive" is sda ?( is that as it is normal?

Hallo Leute | Hi Guys

Plex Media Server sagt mir hier es hat ein Update und ich soll es manuell installieren | Plex Media Server tells me here it has an update and I have to install it manually

Aber wenn ich unter der Web GUI bei der Aktualisierungsverwaltung die Datei "plexmediaserver_1.5.5.3634-995f1dead_amd64.deb" hochlade bekomme ich den Fehler "413 Request Entity Too Large nginx" | But when i upload
    the File "plexmediaserver_1.5.5.3634-995f1dead_amd64.deb" I get the error "413 Request Entity Too Large nginx"

Ich habe gehört dass nginx dafür verantwortlich ist da die maximale erlaubte Größe einer Datei die man hochladen darf wird überschritten | I have heard that nginx is responsible for it since the maximum allowed size of a file
    which someone may upload is exceeded

Weiß vielleicht jemand eine Lösung dafür? | Does anyone have a solution for this?

Vielen Dank im Voraus | Many thanks in advance

(I hope nobody will be offended by my english ;) )