Beiträge von rtrimarchi

Hi guys....
    I am not a Linux guru and that's why I'm here. ?(
    In Windows there is an network card option which can configure the NIC to accept WoL "Magic packets" or "Magic Packets" and ALSO other type of WOL packets.
    Is there something similar in unix/OMV ?
    I needed a way to wake up my NAS/OMV not only using magic packets....
    How does it work in UNIX/OMV ?? :/
    Thanks in advance for your help :thumbup:

UPDATE:

started to analyze the logs.....and in particular the Autoshutdown one.
    Well, the problem was that with the default "IP Range" to check and the network "Socket numbers" to check, the nas/autoshutdown was detecting my remote PC as active...and therefore...was not shutting down and that was also the reason why it restarted immediately after the PM-HIBERNATE test I did before.....
    Now it looks like at least, the shutdown part of the original problem has been taken care.
    Now I will start to work on the wake-up process.....
    Now....I want to thank you all for the "smart" help you gave me.....
    I have learned a lot......
    Thank you all for now ^^

So....let me give you some info: :thumbup:

About auto ùshutdown config: ;)

I feel like an idiot :cursing: :

my proble was that in the "shared folders" edit window, in the "path" field I originally put a name......

In the reality I had to put ONLY a "/" which means......the highest level or "main root".

As soon as I modified the "shared folder" path options....I saw the Whole content of the NTFS disk from the remote PC using the same share name....

I'm not an unix guy ..... but my experience can help somebody else like me.... :D:D

Hi guys...
    I have OMV v2.1 installed and FULLY updated (just run yesterday all possible updates from gui).
    I have 1 disk full with data coming from a windows PC with NTFS file system on it.
    I mounted it, created a File Share, and shared it with SMB/CIFS.
    From other windows-PCs onmy intranet I am able to see this new share, but when I open it, there is NOTHING inside, but from the windows-PCs I am able to create a NEW folder in it and even copy new files in it.
    So I can basically READ & WRITE this new share.....but DO NOT see the previous data already in it.
    How can I get back my data on this disk ???
    ?(?(?(
    Ned help.....mu unix/OMV skills are very low....
    Basically a NEWBEE...but willing to learn this nice software

Did you enable wol in bios? That's the most important thing

Yes....it has always been enabled.

UPDATE:
    Yesterday made a test:
    with "Wake-on: d" and WOL=ON in the GUI, I decided to turn WOL=OFF in the GUI and immediately after I queried again with "ethtool eth0" and got this result: "Wake-on: g"
    Strange...very strange.....
    So I turned again WOL=ON in the GUI and re-queried again with "ethtool eth0"... and this time..... "Wake-on: g" was still there.....
    Anyway....
    Kept this setting and from console executed "sudo pm-hibernate".
    The nas went down but it restarted immediately....
    Strange...very strange.....
    So, got in to the console again and re-executed for the 2nd time "sudo pm-hibernate".
    The nas went down and DID NOT RESTART....
    So.......it basically took 2 shutdown cycles....
    What is this for ????
    I am lost ....HELP HELP
    I read somewhere of these two cycles before being able to shut down properly, but cannot find that topic again...
    ANY IDEA ?

Little Update:

1-installed Autoshutdown plugin, and enabled it leaving all the settings untouched.....except each cycle lenght is now 60sec instead of 180sec.
    If there is some setting I must change...please tell me.
    Again I am only trying to have it shutdown if nobody uses it.

2-rebooted the NAS

3-queried with "ethtool eth0" from console and got this result:
    Settings for eth0:
    Supported ports: [ TP ]
    Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
    1000baseT/Full
    Supported pause frame use: No
    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
    Advertised link modes: 1000baseT/Full
    Advertised pause frame use: No
    Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Speed: 1000Mb/s
    Duplex: Full
    Port: Twisted Pair
    PHYAD: 0
    Transceiver: internal
    Auto-negotiation: on
    MDI-X: Unknown
    Supports Wake-on: pg
    Wake-on: d
    Current message level: 0x00000000 (0)
    Link detected: yes

As I learned reading the Whole day....my WOL looks disabled.

So..obvious question: HOW TO ENABLE IT for good ???

I noticed that in the web management--->Network--->Interfaces I have already enabled WOL which is ON...
    At least in there...but not in the reality....

Can you guys help

WastlJ,
    in my previous windows 7 config, ............with the NAS (running a windows 7 OS) hibernated......... I was able to wake the NAS just and ONLY running a REMOTE DESKTOP session from my workstation against the hibernated NAS.
    And the NAS woke up automatically.....
    So I'd like to set this new OMV environment the same way....but I have no clue even if it is possible.
    Can you be a little more specific when you said: "you can automate this with programs or powershell so that it will start the server when you turn on the PC".
    I mean....what programs did you reefer to ?
    Can you give me some info about'em ?

Guys.... thanks for all this help....

thanks subzero79.
    Now at least the first part is clear......
    But still need to understand the second part which is WAKE-UP.....
    Huberer said "...to use a wake-on-lan-script/program on your clients to wake the sever up."
    Could you give me some example or clarification ?
    My idea was to find a way so that when a remote client, request access to an NFS o SMB share in OMV.....the nas automatically turns itself on and fulfill the request....
    This is how I had it set when was using windows 7 or Windows 10.
    Do you guys think this could be possible somehow ?

Thanks Huberer for your suggestions....
    About the Autoshutdown plugin, I know that I have to download it and then within the OMV management I have to upload it to OMV.
    At least this is the way to install all the plugins in OMV.....as far as I understood.
    My first problem is to find the plugin file to download.
    I found something here :
    https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…enmediavault-autoshutdown
    But I do not know where to download it ....I mean....which link to push.....
    Can you point me to where I have to download this "first" plugin that I should use ?

Hi guys...
    this is my first post and my Unix knowledge is very limited :/ , but I need your help if possible.
    Just installed OMV 2.1 on my previous windows 7 "NAS" hardware.
    OMV seems to work fine so far.....at least...sharing work fine in both SMB/CIFS and NFS.
    Now my main problem is how to hibernate this NAS automatically if no remote clients (windows 10 and RaspberryPi -KODI - openelec) use OMV shares.
    The previous OS was capable to put this hardware in S4 hibernate state automatically and was also capable of waking it up if a remote client tried to access any of the shares.
    So now I am trying to do the same thing with OMV ;(;(;(;(
    FYI...as of now putting the NAS in suspend mode via the remote management...works fine.
    Can someone drive me toward the proper method for doing it ?
    I have read about the autoshutdown plugin but I don't know if it is the right way to go....
    Can you help :/
    Sorry for my English but I'm Italian :D