Posts by Sc0rp

Re,

so you coudln't had a broadcast storm ... anyway ... your layout is fully switched and non looped.

Broken cables, noisy clients (yes, bad software or hardware failure too), portscanning or just some switching-fu (spanning tree) could happend.

I recommend you to check cabeling (especially the noses on copper based wiring, aka "RJ45").
    And i hope, no cable is longer than 100m or brutal "edged" :P

Sc0rp

Hi,

currently you have 4 ways to do so:

1) Dual-Homing
    - use some "advanced" routing configuration between the both used routers, may be a 3rd router is needed (on which the NAS is then connected)

2) Single-Homing (connect the NAS on one network/router)
    - use VPN from one network to the NAS or the other network-router
    - use portforwarding on the router where NAS is connected (it's not recommended for CIFS/SMB/Samba-Shares !!!)

3) Split network
    - use a second NIC in the NAS for the second network

4) crude, but working
    - use a switch (only layer 2) between the networks and use virtual interfacing on the NAS
    (may be this will work between the used routers too)

Questions? Ask!

Sc0rp

Hi,

i read this thread, but i cannot understand, why your RAID5 was breaking up - one drive was sorted out for /dev/md126, the other two drives stood on md127 ... and originally all three should be on md0 :P

But anyway, you have to:
    - remove the drive from md126
    should be [sudo] mdadm /dev/md126 --remove /dev/sde (sudo only if ya are not root ...)

- adding that drive as hotspare to md127 (starts the rebuild immediately)
    should be [sudo] mdadm /dev/md127 --add /dev/sde

Working backup is always necessary!Beg and hope, that no more drive will fail while rebuilding ...

Sc0rp

Hi,

sorry for putting this one "activ" again - but i have a question about ryecoaaron's answer just for clarification:

The mentioned way above is for OMV3 "Erasmus" @ Debian 8 "Jessie", right?

-> Will it work the same way for Debian 7 "Wheezy" / OMV 2 "Stone burner" too?

Background of this question is to find a way, to install very stable OMV2 on modern mainboards with Intel's 219 NIC's. If the latest "oldstable" minimal-install-cd-iso contains the last official kernel-upgrade (v3.2.0) that will work (LKKDB lists the 219ers on v3.2.0)

Thanks in advantage!

Sc0rp

Re,

I did that with some of the other software I normally use but I wasn't sure about fail2ban as I wasn't sure how it interacted with the system.

Okay,
    Fail2Ban (and denyhosts) work the same way: they track the login process success codes - if there was something odd, they'll put the source-ip-address in the "hosts.deny" file, which ban's this ip-address from beeing processed further more, and the Plugin "only displays" you the config-file ... with the ability to change the values ;). Fail2Ban It will work exactly the same way ;)
    (F2B keep's track for the entries himself, because it will remove them after the configured time automaticly)

Sc0rp

Hi,

I used Fail2Ban, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be in the openmediavault 3.0.29 repos yet so it might be unstable and I'm not wanting to test it as I just got everything setup.

Since OMV is based on Debian, you can always install software besides the OMV Plugin space ;).
    I would try to install Fail2Ban via console ... and use it, until a valuable plugin is available.
    (then you can uninstall it via console and use the plugin further ...)

Sc0rp

Re,

So like I've been using WinSCP over ssh?

SCP uses the SSH-Protocol stack (it's implemented)

Security issus with ssh and portforwarding ... always a special use case ;)

SSH ist always more secure as ftp or ftps (which implementation is crude), but you can do something ofr better sec.:
    - use keybased auth
    - use Fail2Ban (or denyhost)
    Both features makes it securec enough, i think. And you can use this construct with scripts (rsynch cronjobs e.g.)

But if you need more sec, you have to use VPN instead (with a real performant VPN-AS machine).

Sc0rp

Hi,

German? Okay ... ;)

erstmal keine Panik - und erstmal keine weiteren Änderungen am RAID vornehmen (zum Glück geht das ja nicht mehr :P)

Bist du der Konsole mächtig? Wenn ja, dann kann man dir hefen ...

Ablauf:
    - RAID-Struktur prüfen / Festplatten prüfen (ob sie noch vorh. sind)
    - danach entscheidet sich, ob man das RAID wieder zusammensetzt, oder neu aufbaut

Sc0rp

Hi,

i don't think, that is the best way ...

Consider the following strategy:
    - build up your NAS box with 2 drives (one system, one data)
    - create on the data-drive a "degraded raid1"
    - move data
    - add the new drive to the raid1 as hotspare (instantly the rebuild starts)
    - move the old drive from "computer" to NAS box
    - start raid-level-migration from raid1 to raid5

Since i'm more a console freak, i dunno how it works from OMV-WebGui ...

Sc0rp