Beiträge von RS1

Hi there,

I've typed out the output below from running badblocks via SSH in Terminal. I'm not sure if this is a large issue or not? Should I RMA the WD Red drive? Is there a way of avoiding the badblocks being written to?

(I'm tempted to go ahead and use the drive!)

Thanks

Hi there,

I have a large folder of a number of books. Instead of looking for an indexing solution to keep track of what's in there, I thought I'd give Calibre a try. My only issue is that I am not keen on 'duplicating' my large folder of books to another folder (Calibre Library).

Is it necessary to copy all of the books? Or is there a way of having my existing folder of books become the Calibre Library itself?

Many thanks,
    RS

What type of media are you installing OMV on?

I'm reviving an old thread because I think that I've hit a similar issue when installing on a flash USB2 drive (from CD). All was fine when installing on HDD.

Is the USB causing the issue do you think?

Hi there,

I went to install the latest version of OMV4 only to see that the latest version is reported as v5.05. Is it out of beta? Should I go ahead and install this version? Further - is there a way to take a config backup of my OMV4 and restore in OMV5?

Thanks

Thanks for this. I've decided to buy a couple of USB3 flash sandisk ultra drives. As you've mentioned, I'm not worried about the speed here - only getting some good quality flash drives in the hope to prolong its life. Time will tell!

Hi all,

I've just finished rebuilding my OMV on a 250gb SATA HDD. Before configuring in anger, I wanted to be clear on my backup strategy. It seems to be a little more complex than I had originally presumed.

Question - is there any issue with installing OMV4 on USB 2.0 flash drives? (I don't have USB 3.0). I am thinking about re-installing OMV4, starting from scratch, because it seems that it is MUCH easier to backup and restore a small 16GB flash drive on an ongoing basis than it is a large 250GB internal SATA drive.

NB: I don't WOL/Sleep. OMV is either running or it is off.

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yes. While everything is called a disk in snapraid, it is actually using filesystems.

Thanks for this. So if I'm understanding this correctly, according to 'snapraid's' definition - I have 12 drives. Right?

NF4 Sata: 4 EXT4 + 4 NTFS = 8
    Sil3114 Sata: 4 EXT4 = 4
    Total = 12

So if Snapraid see's each partition as a disk - I can then in theory configure snapraid to ignore the 4 NTFS disks that share the same 'drive' as the EXT4 disks on the NF4 Sata?

Sorry about making this sound like an academic exercise. I'm just trying to make sure that my understanding is correct before engaging my OCD to have everything work.

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I hit an issue with OMV which stopped me from using it for a couple of years. I spent the last few days getting it up and running. Advice would be appreciated.

Background:

I have installed OMV on reused PC parts, one of which includes an old DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI motherboard. The NF4 chipset has caused a number of issues. For instance, I have found it necessary to partition those hard drives on the NF4 Sata controller to have a small NTFS partition (100MB) in order to boot. I don't know why, but have accepted it.

So, on 4 NF4 SATA ports, I have 4 data drives with a small NTFS partition and large EXT4 partition. I also have 4 additional drives (1 OS, 3 Data) on a different SATA controller which are non-partitioned, EXT4.

The challenge:

When using Snapraid - is it possible to ignore partitions on a drive? In essence, I have a total of 6 data drives (3 of which have 2 partitions - 1 small NTFS, 1 Large EXT4), 1 parity drive (which also has 1 small NTFS partition, 1 large EXT4), 1 OS drive.

I would like to recover from failure of the 3 EXT4 partitions on 3 data drives (I don't care about the NTFS partitions) and 3 EXT4 data drives (so total of 6) from my EXT4 partition on my parity drive (because this drive is also headed with the NTFS partition).

Are there factors that I need to consider when using Snapraid? Is it possible to achieve redundancy using only one Parity drive?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance.

RS

Sidenote: I know that I should just replace my motherboard ||

I would do a fresh install and ONLY update the OMV package. If that works correctly, I would update everything but the kernel and see if it still works right. If that works, then update the kernel.

Thanks for this. Will definitely bear this in mind in future. For now, what has worked for me (and so much simpler) is SSH via Terminal on my mac and executing 'omv-update' - opposed to the WebGUI. I haven't had any issues with this method.

I've read through the thread and the initial problem would point to some network/connection problem....however, what I do is to install updates 6 at a time, that way if there are any issues the list or errors can be pinpointed....I also leave anything to do with the kernel/image til last and sometimes ignore them altogether.

Thanks for the input. I figured that the issue may be occurring because of updates - so I did a fresh install and used the CLI (omv-update) to install updates. Much better.

I no longer have an issue (phew)

Thanks @ryecoaaron @geaves for the input!

I guess I would look to see if it is blocking and/or filtering anything.

I've checked everything and there is no blocking/filtering. I can try to do a fresh install again? Each time this issue has occurred, it has been the result of installing updates in update management - there were a long list of updates.

Are there any of those updates that I potentially shouldn't be installing? Could any of them be conflicting with my hardware (it's pretty old) or network?