Beiträge von curious1

You guys are funny! Because I DEFINITELY feel like I'm stuck in that roundabout. Or like the one Chevy Chase was stuck in in National Lampoon's European Vacation. At any rate ...

Once you get into the GUI, shutdown and reinsert the data drives.

The first thing I'd do, with the new install on the USB boot drive, is enable SMART in the GUI and look at disk attributes.

Second, take a look at Diagnostics, System Logs, and Syslog. See if those ATA error messages are there.
    One (1) disk, with a malfunctioning SATA interface can cause serious and inexplicable problems.
    If so, you may have to go through a process of elimination, inserting one disk at a time and checking the log to see of one disk is responsible.

Have the GUI running. Shut it down and reinserted all of the data drives, including the parity drive because I am not sure which of the four drives was. I enabled SMART in the GUI on all drives it can see. I looked at the Diagnostics/System Logs and did not see any ATA error messages in any of the logs. But only two data drives are showing:

And the same thing shows up in SMART:

The other two drives do not show up, unless the sdc and sdd drive is the parity drive. But their serial numbers do not show up.

What's next??

You guys are funny! Because I DEFINITELY feel like I'm stuck in that roundabout. Or like the one Chevy Chase was stuck in in National Lampoon's European Vacation. At any rate ...

Once you get into the GUI, shutdown and reinsert the data drives.

The first thing I'd do, with the new install on the USB boot drive, is enable SMART in the GUI and look at disk attributes.

Second, take a look at Diagnostics, System Logs, and Syslog. See if those ATA error messages are there.
    One (1) disk, with a malfunctioning SATA interface can cause serious and inexplicable problems.
    If so, you may have to go through a process of elimination, inserting one disk at a time and checking the log to see of one disk is responsible.

Have the GUI running. Shut it down and reinserted all of the data drives, including the parity drive because I am not sure which of the four drives was. I enabled SMART in the GUI on all drives it can see. I looked at the Diagnostics/System Logs and did not see any ATA error messages in any of the logs. But only two data drives are showing:

And the same thing shows up in SMART:

The other two drives do not show up, unless the sdc and sdd drive is the parity drive. But their serial numbers do not show up.

What's next??

Once you have OMV4 running on a USB stick and log in

Just a quick update.

I had some trouble getting the OMV4 bootable on a stick, but finally got there. Without drives attached, had Array errors and then it sent me to
    "mdadm: No arrays found in config file or automatically, then
    Gave up waiting for root file system device. Common problems:
    - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
    - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
    - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
    ALERT! /dev/sdb1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!"

and then goes to "(initramfs)" prompt.

If I attach a drive and then boot, I get a series of ATA erroros and then the following, which just keeps repeating:
    "mei_me 0000:00:16.0 less data available then length=00000000.
    mei_me 0000:00:16.0 less data available then length=00000001."

I'm still working on getting the webGUI talking to the server with the boot coming from the USB stick. Pretty sure I can get that going (just a network thing I need to sort out).

Once you have OMV4 running on a USB stick and log in

Just a quick update.

I had some trouble getting the OMV4 bootable on a stick, but finally got there. Without drives attached, had Array errors and then it sent me to
    "mdadm: No arrays found in config file or automatically, then
    Gave up waiting for root file system device. Common problems:
    - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
    - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
    - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
    ALERT! /dev/sdb1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!"

and then goes to "(initramfs)" prompt.

If I attach a drive and then boot, I get a series of ATA erroros and then the following, which just keeps repeating:
    "mei_me 0000:00:16.0 less data available then length=00000000.
    mei_me 0000:00:16.0 less data available then length=00000001."

I'm still working on getting the webGUI talking to the server with the boot coming from the USB stick. Pretty sure I can get that going (just a network thing I need to sort out).

Once you have OMV4 running on a USB stick and log in, change your password and extend the time out, but stop there. At that point, you could try mounting one of those BTRFS drives. If it mounts, use WinSCP to look over your files. Either way, post again with the results.

Thanks. I will definitely let you know what's happening.

to get it to work correctly (as in picking up the same device name), the new drive will need to be in the slot where the bad drive was.

I would, remove the bad drive, install the new one in the same slot and boot up. Format the new drive with the same format as the old one, and try to mount all of them in the File System window. If they all mount, hopefully, the SNAPRAID drive restore process will work from there.

Well, I'm back and trying to implement your suggestions.

1. Installed a fresh drive into the bad drive slot and rebooted.
    2. In File Systems, created the new drive with BTRFS & no label
    3. Took some doing, but Mounted it.
    4. None of the other drives will let me mount them, delete them, or do anything

5. I have a monitor running at the command level, and the system continues to go berserk with ata errors.
    6. Ran 'snapraid -D fix' from command line, as it won't take run in the WebGUI - get the following message:
    Self test...
    Disks '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-2TBData3/' and '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-sdcdisk3/' are on the same device.
    You can 'fix' anyway, using 'snapraid --force-device fix'.

7. When I run 'snapraid -D fix' from the command line, I get the following result:
    Self test ...
    DANGER! Ignoring that disks 'Data2" and 'Data3' are on the same device
    DANGER! Ignoring that disks 'Data2" and 'Data3' are on the same device
    Disk '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-2TBData3/' and Parity '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-sdadisk1/snapraid.parity' are on the same device.

8. So far, Snapraid isn't restoring itself ... is there something I should do?

In need of further guidance ...

Thanks

Thanks geaves and crashtest. You guys are really great.

mine are simply labelled disk1 through to disk4, then for snapraid parity and data1 through to data3

I will go back to the simple naming convention when I apply your collective guidance.

All of your drives are unmounted and missing. How did that happen? I'm hoping you didn't take them all out and shuffle them around. Those drives need to be installed and/or remounted or you're not going to see anything, in the way of files, under the mount point.

I do not have any idea why my disks are unmounted and missing. I didn't do anything to cause that (that I know of - I am very careful not to be implementing things that I don't understand, present situation excepted). I did not rearrange the drives. I ran a boot diagnostic on the server which showed me which drive had failed, and then attempted the replacement of just that drive. And I notice the drives showing unmounted and missing, but wasn't sure what to do with that.

Find the bad drive. Replace that drive, in the same slot, with a new drive. Wipe the new drive (in Storage, Disks), format it with BTRFS (Storage, File systems). (In your case, you didn't do labels originally so I wouldn't apply a label to the new drive before it's restored.

The OMV Guide for Snapraid, in their example, talks about the bad drive "red" being replaced and the new drive being labeled "rednew", so that's why I chose the 2TBDisk2 name. So when I put the old/bad drive back in, remount everything, and then remove and replace the old/bad drive, do I simply name it the same? That would make sense to me on one level, but not sure that's what I'm supposed to do.

I think you guys have given me some hope. I am out of town for a few days and away from my server, but I will be following your guidance when I return. I hope you'll keep an eye out for me in the middle of next week.

Thanks so much!!! A thousand likes for both of you!!!!

Like you've f* up, look at the filesystem image, you were attempting to replace sdbdisk2, what jumps out and slaps you in the face, compare that to 2TBData3

Yeah, I know. I still have the bad drive. I thought I followed the guide properly, but obviously not. The main thing I see is that sdbdisk2 is btrfs and the 2TBData3 is ext4. I guess I followed the guide "too close to letter" because it instructed to use ext4, but gave no indication that you should match file systems.

I still have the failed drive. And apparently haven't done anything (really) with the 2TBData3 drive. Am I completely hosed, or can I "rewind"?

Please show @curious1 what your MergerFS mount point looks like under Storage, Filesystems and an example path for looking at shared folders / files with WinSCP.

Thanks guys. Here are the two items:

The 2TBData3 is the 2TB drive I have attempted to replace the failed sdbdisk2, but I'm sure I screwed that up, even though I followed the guide instructions. How does this look to you?

Thanks geaves and crashtest.

I have installed and run WinSCP onto my PC laptop which allows me to look at my OMV. I have perused everything under 'root' and found no content files for any of my sharedfolders. When I look at the snapraid.content log, this is what I get:

# openmediavault Arrakis 4.1.8.2-1
    # and 'openmediavault-snapraid' 3.7.3

block_size 256
    autosave 0
    #####################################################################
    # OMV-Name: ParityDrive1 Drive Label: sdadisk1
    content /srv/dev-disk-by-label-sdadisk1/snapraid.content
    parity /srv/dev-disk-by-label-sdadisk1/snapraid.parity

# OMV-Name: Data2 Drive Label: 2TBData3
    content /srv/dev-disk-by-label-2TBData3/snapraid.content
    disk Data2 /srv/dev-disk-by-label-2TBData3

# OMV-Name: Data3 Drive Label: sdcdisk3
    content /srv/dev-disk-by-label-sdcdisk3/snapraid.content
    disk Data3 /srv/dev-disk-by-label-sdcdisk3

# OMV-Name: Data4 Drive Label: sdddisk4
    content /srv/dev-disk-by-label-sdddisk4/snapraid.content
    disk Data4 /srv/dev-disk-by-label-sdddisk4

exclude *.bak
    exclude *.unrecoverable
    exclude /tmp/
    exclude lost+found/
    exclude .content
    exclude aquota.group
    exclude aquota.user
    exclude snapraid.conf*

I don't know how to scope out a mount point. I cannot find a fuse mount point under /srv. I must be doing something wrong.
    Is '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-sdddisk4/snapraid.content' a mount point? Is WinSCP letting me look into the disks?

I can't believe that I have lost ALL my files.

Any other ideas or guidance? (thanks for your help so far)

BTW are you using MergerFS + Snapraid, because if you are and your shares are on the fuse mergerfs mount point then the /sharedfolders will be empty, AppData is for docker configs and is on a separate drive.

I did discover that I can cd into /sharedfolders/Documents as long as I pay attention to the upper/lower case. But it still gives me 0 files. I am using a union under snapraid. Is that using MergeFS? If sharedfolders would then be empty, where would the files be?

When I cd into sharedfolders, I can see the folders under ls -l (here are some but not all):
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jul 5 2018 Documents
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jul 5 2018 Movies
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jul 5 2018 Music
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jul 5 2018 Photos

But as I think you are saying, these folders turn up zero files.

What to do, what to do?

You do this either from the command line by simply using cd so from root cd /sharedfolders this puts you in the sharedfolders directory, ls -l will list the content, lets say you have a Movie folder, so cd /sharedfolders/Movies ls-l will list the content.

Thanks geaves. So I can cd sharedfolders and then list the folders. Of the several that I have I'll refer to Documents or Photos. I see that changing the directory to Documents requires it to be exactly in the Upper and lower case. But have yet to find and files. The 'ls -l' command keeps returning 0 files.

sigh ...

I don't know what's going on. I thought at first I might have a Snapraid problem (which I'm sure exists), due to drive failure of one data drive. But after looking at the system log (excerpt attached), I am wondering if I have a much more serious problem. Because I can't update OMV-Extras, only the plug-ins I have already installed even show up in the list. Things seem to be really screwed up.

I really do not relish the idea of having to build OMV from scratch. How can I find my files?

There is a guide in the guides section which should be useful, I also found this on sourceforge which helped me understand it more.

Thanks geaves. I have followed all the instructions in the guides section without success. Have been perusing sourceforge, but cannot find an answer. The OMV GUI apparently can't help me. I need to know how to state command line queries, but haven't yet developed linux command line skills. From the command line in root, I have been able to list directories whereby I found the sharedfolders directory, which I can then list and see all of my Shared Folders. But I don't know how to "see" the files within those shared folders. Don't know how to look at the snapraid config file. The guides and manual seem to be for experienced Linux users, of which I am not one ... learning, but ...

This forum seems to be much more useful than the Snapraid forum, where I can't seem to find what I need (the navigation there is horrible compared to this forum).

I have Snapraid with 4 drives. One 1TB parity and three 1TB data disks as follows:

ParityDrive1
    Data2
    Data3
    Data4

Recently the drive containing Data2 failed, and while I can see the Shared Folders, I can't get to anything in them. I have removed the bad drive (Data2), installed a new 2TB drive in its place (named 2TBData2sdb), tried running Fix in the GUI on that drive (as instructed). I have tried to follow the instructions in the "Snapraid in OMV User Guide" and the Snapraid Manual, but neither of these have produced results that allow me to see files. I have tried resetting permissions - no effect. There are references to copying data to an external USB drive - haven't been able to find guidance on that, and can't find how to even list files from the console. Have run Fix on the new drive, which the guide tells me to do in the GUI, but then it comes back with:

Self test...
    Disks '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-sdcdisk3/' and '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-sdddisk4/' are on the same device.

So I go to the console (finally figured out that it couldn't be done from the GUI) and ran "spanraid -D fix", which returns the following:
    "Self test ...
    DANGER! Ignoring that disks 'Data3' and 'Data4' are on the same device
    Disk '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-sdcdisk3/' and Parity '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-sdadisk1/snapraid.parity' are on the same device

I have no idea how THAT happened because I originally dedicated disk1 to parity.

When I run "Snapraid status" from the console, I get the following:
    Self test...
    WARNING! Content files on the same disk: '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-sdadisk1/snapraid.content' and '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-sdcdisk3/snapraid.content'
    WARNING! Content files on the same disk: '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-sdcdisk3/snapraid.content' and '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-sdddisk4/snapraid.content'
    Loading state from /srv/dev-disk-by-label-sdadisk1/snapraid.content...
    WARNING! Content file '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-sdadisk1/snapraid.content' not found, trying with another copy...

Loading state from /srv/dev-disk-by-label-2TBData3/snapraid.content...

WARNING! Content file '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-2TBData3/snapraid.content' not found, trying with another copy...

Loading state from /srv/dev-disk-by-label-sdcdisk3/snapraid.content...
    WARNING! Content file '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-sdcdisk3/snapraid.content' not found, trying with another copy...

Loading state from /srv/dev-disk-by-label-sdddisk4/snapraid.content...

No content file found. Assuming empty.
    Using 0 MiB of memory for the FileSystem.
    SnapRAID status report:

Files Fragmented Excess Wasted Used Free Use Name
    Files Fragments GB GB GB
    0 0 0 0.0 0 0 - 2TBData2sdb
    0 0 0 0.0 0 0 - Data3

0 0 0 0.0 0 0 - Data4

WARNING! Free space info will be valid after the first sync.
    The array is empty.

I have no idea how my 2TBData2sdb became a label of 2TBData3. While I am hopeful that my files are still in tact somewhere, and that someone might be able to help me find them, I am a bit dismayed that I have lost everything. I don't know where to turn.

Assuming my stuff is still in my OMV somewhere, can someone tell me how to:
    1. Find the Folders from a console command?
    2. Attempt to list the files within those folders?
    3. Copy files to an external USB drive?
    or
    4. How to fix this mess?

I am lost ...

Thanks. The GUI tells me the command is "snapraid --force-device fix", but when I do that, the command line responds with 'unknown option "?"'. The snapraid manual seems to indicate that the command might be 'snapraid -d device fix' whereby it would seem that the command should be "snapraid -d --force-device fix". I seem to be getting conflicting instructions.

At the command line, I put in "snapraid -D, --force-mydevicename fix" and the command line gives me "Unkown option '?'. I've looked everywhere for an answer. I don't get it.

Anybody have an answer for that?

Well, wouldn't you know it ... straightforward isn't in the wheelhouse for me. I finally get to the "fix" instruction in the "SnapRaid in OMV User Guide" (step 7) and the regular "fix" doesn't go, but instead gives me the following:

Disks '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-sdcdisk3/' and '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-sdddisk4/' are on the same device.

I've looked at this forum, the SnapRaid Guide, SnapRaid manual, SnapRaid forum, and can't seem to find anything that tells me where to do that. Is this a command line thing, or a GUI thing?