Posts by iNTiGOD

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of merging two of my old and underpowered OMV NAS's into one new more powerful NAS.

Both systems currently use OMV 4 (mergefs of 4 data disks across each systems using ext4) and the I will setup the new system with OMV 5.

During this process I would like to rename the drive labels e.g. d1 to d8 (for the eight drives).

From my research I believe renaming labels can cause some issues especially with mounting and shares.

Am I able to do it when I move them to the new NAS before I mount the drives and setup the shares again?

I believe I can use the command

Code
    e2label /dev/sda1 "newdrivename"

Also do I need to remove the shares from the old NAS and remove mergefs (I wouldnt think so)?

I am of course wanting to do this so that I can avoid copying all the data off my drives and formatting.

Many thanks

See what utility your UPS offers. I have an APC UPS. And I run apcupsd on my router with the APC plugged into it on a USB port. When the power fails, the daemon sends timely shutdown commands to any machine on the network configured for it.

Hey there.
    I'm using a Cyberpower Bric. For the control i'm after I could use PowerPanel® Business Edition Linux software but I have just read that it must be installed on a pentium compatible cpu (my cpu is based on arm).

Hi guys.
    I hope you can help me.
    I have two servers running OMV 4. One is connected to a UPS (and using the UPS plugin will shutdown during a power failure) and I would like the ability to shut down the second server automatically in the event of power loss.
    I was thinking of running the openmediavault-autoshutdown addon on the second server, have it check for when server one powers off then run the autoshutdown plugin.
    I have an issue though. Server 2 is based on arm (helios4) and I have read the autoshutdown plugin doesn't work.
    Can I get some guidance on how to do this any other way?
    I was thinking of having a script run on server 2, pinging server 1 at regular intervals. If server 1 is off then shutdown server 2. It's a bit crude but I think this might work.

Has anyone done anything like this or can I get an example?

Cheers

I’m not sure these images are already setup to use the lcd screen. In my experience you need to set this up via the command line. Eg. Enable the gpio pins, spi interface etc on the raspberry pi.
    What type of screen do you have and I might be able to give you some pointers.

But as has been pointed out, setup OMV first and then look at connecting the screen and rpi.

Just why? While everyone is relying on DNS for accessing hosts/services on the Internet the same people think using the intelligent approach (remembering namens and not numbers) wouldn't work in their own network.

With OMV4 you simply define the hostname and can then access the services using $hostname.local. In the meantime even with Windows since it took Microsoft just a decade to ignore mDNS/Zeroconf until they integrated it into Windows 10.

I’ve always done it this way because I didn’t know any better until I saw your post. Seems to work well using Firefox but can’t get it to work with opera browser.

The more you know.

On the OMV images for ARM devices the best idea is to use nmtui (reasons why). You can also let your router assign always the same address to this device and this address really shouldn't matter since mDNS usually works. Can't you access your HC2 using the name odroidxu4.local?

(armbian-config exists too but is useless for this network configuration stuff).

No.

Thanks TKaiser answering my questions. :)
    And sorry I forgot to mention I didn’t try to access the hc2 via the name above but it does work. I always try via IP address.

A question regarding the OMV_4_Odroid_XU4_HC1_HC2.img.xz image for my Odroid HC2.

How can we set up a setup a static IP? The Armbianconfig tool isn’t installed?
    I’m probably missing something really obvious but the oMv GUI doesn’t display any network info.

1 last question. I am using a 64gb microsd with only about 8-9gb being used by the os. Do I need to resize it or can I leave it as is? I purchased a larger card so it would last longer with rewrites.

Just to chime in. I have an N40L as you do which is still running albeit slow.
    I also purchased a helios4 as a backup.
    I’m trying to weigh up if it is worth migrating omv from the N40L to the Helios.
    It’s one of those things I haven’t gotten around to doing

Just thought, I would like to give a heads up to those upgrading to Pi-hole 4.1.1.
    I upgraded pi-hole only to get DNS and FTL DNS errors.

During the final step of setting up pihole within docker in Extra arguments section, copy and paste the following line in:

Code
    -p 53:53/tcp -p53:53/udp -p 67:67/udp -p 80:80 -p 443:443 --cap-add=NET_ADMIN --dns=127.0.0.1 --dns=1.1.1.1

Check out the release notes (which I didn't read initially). :P

Cheers

Ok well I got it working.
    Basically I only ended up changing settings within sonarr docker and radarr docker only.
    E.g. within sonarr's docker I changed both the /downloads and /tv container paths to the ONE mount point (my media folder) as seen below.
    1.jpg

Then I made the following changes within sonarr.
    Firstly within the download client tab, I changed gave remote mappings.
    2.jpg

Then when choosing my paths for my shows instead of putting the path via the /tv folder I chose the path via the /downloads .

How is your chrome cast connected? Is it Wi-Fi or Ethernet?
    I’ve always found buffering issues with plex and wifi enabled tvs (eg. For bluray remuxes).
    Also sometimes the tv doesn’t have all the correct decoders (I’ve had better success with Apple TV or raspberry pi over Ethernet ).

G'day all.

A bit of background. I'm enjoying my docker setup with rutorrent (diameter), sonarr (linuxserver), radarr (linuxserver) and plex (linuxserver) which has greatly automated downloads for viewing.
    It allows me to choose a show in sonarr, download it through rutorrent then copy it to a separate media folder for plex.

Here is my issue though. I'm running out of space fast by having sonarr make a second copy of the a tv show for plex (therefore 1 for seeding, and 1 for plex).
    I have read that sonarr and radarr have the ability to hard link files therefore using less disk space. I need to start saving space :)

Has anyone been able to set this up in OMV via docker? I have read that you need to have everything in docker mounted in the same volume but i'm not too sure.
    Could you kindly share your folder structure?
    (Also i am using unionfs plugin).

Everything is contained within my unionfs share called media (rutorrent, sonarr and plex).
    1.jpg

Below is my folder layout for rutorrent
    rutorrent.jpg
    Below is folder layout for sonarr
    2.jpg

Below is folder layout for plex
    plex.jpg

I hope this makes sense

Cheers
    :)

Thanks mate.
    Looking forward to trying this. I’ve always been able to access plex from the outside network but read somewhere hardware decoding isn’t possible. Will try it out (might breath new life into my proliant n40L).

You won’t ever look back running plex on docker. Updating plex is so much easier (eg restart plex running in docker) and if you want the latest builds they are available quickly.

The only thing I believe that isn’t supported is hardware decoding (server side).