Posts by jfromeo

I was inspecting the syslog after the OMV5 upgrade, and the only task which is giving errors is the postfix/smtpd service.

In OMV4 I got all the notifications working (plus a telegram channel to replicate them with a bot), but in OMV5 I cannot make them to work, except the "Your user account was used to log in to the openmediavault control panel via a web browser" which works like a charm.

I have the SMTP settings well configured (smtp.gmail:587, username without the domain and password) as the login email gets sent correctly. But the rest of notifications (disk resources, cpu usage, smart...) does not get sent.

I tried to reinstall and restart postfix, and clean, save, fill in and save the notifications dialog in the GUI.

These are the errors related in syslog:

Code
    postfix/smtpd[20056]: warning: dict_nis_init: NIS domain name not set - NIS lookups disabled
    postfix/smtpd[20056]: fatal: in parameter smtpd_relay_restrictions or smtpd_recipient_restrictions, specify at least one working instance of: reject_unauth_destination, defer_unauth_destination, reject, defer, defer_if_permit or check_relay_domains
    postfix/master[7274]: warning: process /usr/lib/postfix/sbin/smtpd pid 20056 exit status 1
    postfix/master[7274]: warning: /usr/lib/postfix/sbin/smtpd: bad command startup -- throttling
    monit[1557]: Cannot create socket to [127.0.0.1]:25 -- Connection timed out
    monit[1557]: Cannot open a connection to the mailserver 127.0.0.1:25 -- Operation now in progress
    monit[1557]: Mail: Delivery failed -- no mail server is available
    monit[1557]: Alert handler failed, retry scheduled for next cycle

Thanks in advance.

Can you please post the content of /etc/resolv.conf?

This is the new tool to deploy the configurations.

Thank you for the quick response. After a reboot, everything worked fine.

Code
    # cat /etc/resolv.conf
    nameserver 8.8.8.8
    nameserver 8.8.4.4

Talking about nameservers, which is the difference between:

/etc/resolv.conf
    /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf

And the edit option at Interfaces which let you fill in nameservers for each NIC/bond connections? (and how did you fill 2 different ones, separated with coma maybe?)

a.png

Hello all.

I just upgraded to OMV5 and I am facing this error whenever I try to apply any change thorugh the webUI (rsync changes in this example):

Has it something to do with python module? Should I try to reinstall it?. What is omv-salt exactly? It looks like a new OMV5 thing.

I did:

Code
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade

And I have no packets to be updated at the moment.

I tried browser cache cleaning and locale changing to English/Spanish.

PD: Done some research. It seems there is another user on the same situation: https://forum.openmediavault.o…26061-Salt-Stack-in-OMV5/

"Every time you apply a configuration change OMV5 checks against its salt states and will fail if they aren't there.
    I then have to enable the custom OMV Salt Configuration, apply the change and then disable the config again."

Thanks in advance.

PD: Nevermind, got fixed after a reboot.

I just upgraded to OMV5 with the following commands:

Code
    # sed -i "s/stretch/buster/g" /etc/apt/sources.list
    # sed -i "s/stretch/buster/g" /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
    # sed -i "s/arrakis/usul/g" /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
    # apt-get update
    # apt-get dist-upgrade
    # reboot

And after the reboot I am getting the RPC error whenever I try to log in to the webUI:

My dkpg -l output:

Code
    # dpkg -l | grep openmediavault

iF openmediavault 5.2.4-1 all openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution
    ii openmediavault-flashmemory 4.2.1 all folder2ram plugin for OpenMediaVault
    ii openmediavault-keyring 1.0 all GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive

My omv-engined output seems ok:

Code
    # omv-engined -d -f

My systemctl status output seems ok:

Code
    # systemctl status openmediavault-engined

And I fixed the resolv.conf issue by adding manually the nameservers from Google and protecting it to writing:

Code
    # rm /etc/resolv.conf
    # echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" >> /etc/resolv.conf
    # echo "nameserver 8.8.4.4" >> /etc/resolv.conf
    # chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

But my problem is that it seems like OMV5 has not been fully installed, as after the upgrasde command:

Code
    # apt-get update
    # apt-get dist-upgrade

I got this:

Thanks in advance.

PD: Never mind, I got it working.

First of all, thanks for the support.

I am on latest offical OMV 4 branch. Whenever OMV 5 will be officially available, would it be enough to update via the web GUI? (dirty flash). I guess we should uninstall all plugins (and maybe docker images?) running on OMV 4 before.

Or will we have to manually install it from scratch?

PD: I see Rye has posted a way to upgrade by manually adding the sources and force the update. Is that the way to go before official upgrade arrives?

Thanks.

Hello all.

I have a 120TB NAS with media files that I want to mirror to an "unlimited" cloud service like the one from Google (GSuite) as an offsite backup.

I do not plan to mount a plexdrive, or stream from the cloud, just a "plain" offsite backup in case any HDD fails.

Firstly, I was considering RAID/SnapRAID but I would have to invest in a new case and controller, and I already have an unlimited account on GSuite which I intend to use for this.

I just need a rclone/duplicati configuration that allows me to mirror the HDD content on folders and performs incremental backups (if I add a new movie, compare the local content with the cloud one and upload it if new). I could run them from either dockers or plugins (I would prefer as dockers).

Has anyone set up something similar to this? I do not need any exotic feature, maybe just to encrypt the cloud data and limit the upload speed to stay below 750GB/day which is Google's limit.

Thanks.

UAS or the old and anachronistic mass storage mode can make a huge difference wrt random IO. And I was a bit unclear about what could be interesting before: it's not about the external disk but your cache SSD that seems to be missing on most outputs you posted directly above.
    Anyway: one problem with ASMedia's chipsets is that the vendor reused product IDs for different chips so proper detection gets tricky. Which kernel version are you running with (uname -a)?

uname -a

Code
    Linux olmos13nas 4.16.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.16.12-1~bpo9+1 (2018-06-03) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Hmm... unlikely but without knowing the contents of /etc/modprobe.d/usb-storage-quirks.conf and output of lsusb I can't tell anything... you might also watch dmesg output for informative messages...

Here they go:
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/usb-storage-quirks.conf

Code
    options usb-storage quirks=174c:55aa:u

lusb

Code
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 174c:55aa ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1051E SATA 6Gb/s bridge, ASM1053E SATA 6Gb/s bridge, ASM1153 SATA 3Gb/s bridge
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 8564:1000 Transcend Information, Inc. JetFlash
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 051d:0003 American Power Conversion UPS
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

lsusb -t (without the external hdd attached)

Code
    /: Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/10p, 5000M
    |__ Port 9: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 5000M
    /: Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/16p, 480M
    |__ Port 4: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbfs, 12M
    |__ Port 6: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 480M

lsusb -t (with the external hdd attached)

Code
    |__ Port 1: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 5000M

dmesg (since the moment I attached the external drive)

Thanks again.

I am ok with this, I do not think I will miss any real performance between uas and usb-storage driver on the cache drive.

Just to be sure: Did you reboot in between?

Oh right, after a reboot it loads it as usb-storage, thank you a lot.

The weird part is that it seems to have disabled completely uas because my cache SSD has changed from uas to usb-storage too. I have rechecked the vendor_id and product_id chain for my external enclosure in the quirks file.

I prefer not having issues with the external drive to have a minimal boost on the cache disk so I will leave it as is now.

Code
    |__ Port 1: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 5000M

Thank you again!

Why not solving your problem instead. Quick web search for 'debian blacklist uas' ends up here: https://unix.stackexchange.com…n-usb3-hdd-uas-i-o-errors (if you run on x86 then follow the last answer and not how I prepared it with Armbian)

I tried the latest solution but it does not prevent the UAS from being loaded:

Code
    echo "options usb-storage quirks=174c:55aa:u" >> /etc/modprobe.d/usb-storage-quirks.conf
    update-initramfs -u

It generates a usb-storage-quirks.conf in modprobe correctly, but when doing a lsusb -t:

Code
    |__ Port 1: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=uas, 5000M
    |__ Port 9: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=uas, 5000M

The Bus 02-Port 1-Dev 3 is the external enclosure (which should be "Driver=usb-storage"). The Bus 02-Port 9-Dev 2 is the cache SSD.

With the UAS driver it gests lots of device resets, SMART warnings and I/O errors in syslog.

What I need to do is prevent the system from loading UAS for that vendor ID (blacklist definitely, I would prefer not to disable UAS for other devices as my cache SSD uses it correctly) since the boot sequence, as if it gets loaded, no matter what I do it does not change the driver until i turn it off/on or unplug/plug the cable.

I own an external USB 3.0 enclosure with the chip Asmedia ASM1051E that reports lots of error to syslogs:

Code
    sd 8:0:0:0: [sdi] tag#1 uas_eh_abort_handler 0 uas-tag 2 inflight: CMD
    sd 8:0:0:0: [sdi] tag#1 CDB: Write(10) 2a 00 48 c0 81 00 00 00 01 00
    scsi host8: uas_eh_device_reset_handler start
    usb 2-1: reset SuperSpeed USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
    scsi host8: uas_eh_device_reset_handler success
    usb 2-1: Disable of device-initiated U1 failed.
    usb 2-1: Disable of device-initiated U2 failed.
    sd 8:0:0:0: [sdi] tag#0 uas_eh_abort_handler 0 uas-tag 1 inflight: CMD IN
    sd 8:0:0:0: [sdi] tag#0 CDB: ATA command pass through(16) 85 09 0e 00 00 00 01 00 11 00 00 00 00 00 2f 00
    xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: ERROR Unknown event condition 199 for slot 4 ep 3 , HC probably busted

I have done some research about it, and I found that the chip itself has broken support under UAS mode and that the best option is to run it as regular USB storage mode.

Blacklisting the vendor_id:product_id with the following command resolves the incompatibility problem:

Code
    echo "174c:55aa:u" >/sys/module/usb_storage/parameters/quirks

But it has to be done at each reboot, before the system recognises the external USB enclosure.

I have tried to do a scheduled job at reboot executed with root but it gets launched after the system detects the external USB enclosure and therefore it uses UAS for it. So I have to turn the external drive off, relaunch the script and turn it on again each time the system reboots.

Is there any way to execute a custom script at a "lower level", before the system recognises the USB devices attached to it? Maybe at /etc/init.d/ or /etc/rc.local?

Thanks in advance.

Hello all.

I have a Remote Mount disk in OMV 4, called backup, and I would like to ask if it is possible to relabel it as "backup", that is:

/srv/dev-disk-by-label-backup instead of
    /srv/ff32d46a-2f2d-4f09-9672-87cd88c42792 which is how OMV labeled it.

Code
    //192.168.13.1/backup /srv/ff32d46a-2f2d-4f09-9672-87cd88c42792 cifs credentials=/root/.cifscredentials-bce66a21-5fb1-49b0-adff-20b303297f54,_netdev,iocharset=utf8,vers=2.0,nofail 0 0

In the Remote Mount menu it is clear that he backup name will apply only to OMV web interface and I know that the symlink way is the correct way to achieve this as renaming label could interfere in how OMV has located the disk.

But could it possible with e2label command and editing /etc/openmediavault/config.xml and omv-mkconf fstab? Or should I edit more files?

Thanks in advance.