Posts by andrew1966

Hi Guys,

Very basic linux user here. I'm running an OMV4 server to control some home security cameras

via Zoneminder and Openvpn. The problem I have is that the Openvpn certificate expires every

180 days. I can renew the certificate thanks to the instructions found here. But when this happens

and I'm away from home I obviously loose access.

I believe I have to modify this entry EASYRSA_CRL_DAYS in the config file but I'm having trouble finding it.

I was hoping someone maybe able to kindly guide me through this.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi Guys,

I'm linux beginner after some security advice on OMV running Zoneminder thru docker.
    I successfully set it up using Techno Dad's video which was of great help. My goal is
    to access live video footage on my phone which I have done using the Zmninja phone app.

To achieve this I've had to port forward 8080 for my static LAN ip 192.168.0.110 (OMV server)
    However when I type in http://my wan ip address:8080/zm I get the Zoneminder login page
    which I expected. I have no need to log into this page externally however it is still
    out there for the world to see. The password is complex as well. This OMV server has
    nothing else on it other than Zoneminder. It's a stand alone Intel i5 PC.

Is this set up OK to use from a security view point for forwarding video to the phone app?
    Port forwarding is rather new to me.

Thanks

Andrew

Hi Guys,

Just after some advice from a novice OMV / Linux user.

I'm currently running OMV 3.0.96 (Erasmus) as a home server and it's been great.
    Yesterday I upgraded the kernel via ssh because of the spectre / meltdown CPU issue.
    Everything went smooth except I now can't use the the update feature in the web GUI.
    I get the following error.

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; apt-get update 2>&1' with
    exit code '100': Ign file: InRelease Ign file: Release.gpg Ign file: Release Ign file: Translation-en Get:1 http://security.debian.orgjessie/updates InRelease [63.1 kB] Get:2
    ( it keeps going for about a page)

I ran the follow command as similar errors are reported to a DNS issue,

echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" | sudo tee /etc/resolv.conf > /dev/null

This did not help, the error still persists.

At the end of the error text it tells me to run the follow command

E : dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem

which I tried but another pop up window appears telling me I must run omv-initsystem first.

I would like to know if running omv-initsystem is a destructive process?
    OMV current resides on a small partition on a 3TB drive. Would it wipe the partitions
    on this drive?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Andrew