Posts by geaves

This was asked recently.....that message is displayed when there is nothing in the log file...i.e. nothing to report.

My current set up headless raspberry pi model B, 2 x usb hdd, 1 x sdd drive, 1 x usb stick are all hooked up to a 7 port powered usb hub.

The 7 port powered usb just might be the problem....I have one of those attached to my W10 laptop, it now just has a printer connected, bluetooth dongle for mouse, iphone cable and a usb extension lead. Plugging in a flash drive Ok, adding an external usb can sometimes be hit and miss, if I add a usb cd-rom then the whole thing just stops.
    Whilst these 'powered' usb hubs are supposed to manage up to 7 devices it is dependant upon how much each device is drawing and whilst they work one day they have a habit of not 'playing ball' another. So it may not be your external usb devices but the hub, you could try reducing the burden on the hub by attaching one or more of your usb drives directly to the Pi.

I have 3 hdd in in Raspberry Pi OMV. In the the shared folder listing 2 of my shares have no in the referenced column I use this drive as a backup for my main drive using rsync.
    The backup drive disapeared I had to unplug and plug back in for OMV to see it again is this somthing to do with it?

It means they are not being 'referred to'....if they were referenced when the usb drive was mounted, then 'pointed to' for rsync then they are being referenced by rysnc.....if that connectivity is stopped/breaks then the share will display no.....at least that's my understanding.
    I have 6 shared folders 4 are referenced via samba 2 are not.....but when I used rsync to get data from usb back to either of those 2 folders then they too were referenced. I have since removed the rsync jobs so those 2 folders now display referenced>>>no.

With a little repartitioning using GParted it is possible to use the disk that OMV is installed on as storage space. I do it.

That was something I did on my last setup only because I had a spare HDD which was way too large for just the os, OMV runs on a flash drive so I have no problem leaving that to the os only.

Well, one could argue that the average home owner should buy a ready made NAS solution. If one chooses a route that's free, a bit of self help is usually required. Further, what you're doing is not what the typical homeowner would do. The majority of folks out there, even in the younger generations, are not technically inclined.

I would agree, even I have wondered if the ready made option would make a good solution.

In any case, what I really like about WinSCP is that, among all of it's other features, it's possible to edit a config file in place. (I can use NANO but it's not the easiest tool, if one is not used to it.)
    On mdadm commands, I think they'll fix this in OMV eventually, but I was really surprised at how straight forward it was to use the command line. In fact, if I ever run RAID (which I tend to doubt) I'd probably do if from the CLI to be absoluty sure of what I'd be getting.

I've got WinSCP sorted so that was bonus, and have been doing some research regarding mdadm, I agree it is fairly straightforward, I'm puuting together a reference for myself for future. If they add a GUI option to OMV for mdadm that would be a bonus.

At work, back in the day, they called me MacGyver because, when I traveled, if something was needed and if I couldn't find a replacement, I'd fabricate a solution. (Some of that comes from farm living, popsicle sticks, bubble gum and baling wire.)

Sounds like my late father, could turn his hand to anything even if he had not done it before, I remember when we moved house, he decided to build a workshop at the bottom of the garden....a brick built workshop!! This required the local labour force aged 14, 13, and 12 to move thousands of brick's, mix concrete, cement by hand....needless to say this was achieved over weekends and holidays. For someone who had never laid a brick installed electrics etc it was excellent, and he had four times the work space than at the previous house.
    I suppose if I look back at what my wife and I did at our last property we did a fair bit of 'construction' in the garden at our last house, and most of that was due to that fact the garden slopped from back to front and from right to left......so we had to dig footings and lay foundations just to get a level concrete base to erect a shed....then there was the retaining wall to extend the patio. Then there was the kitchen remodel....so I suppose I can do when I want too :) Your barn looks very impressive :thumbup:

I looked up the price of that Lenovo Thinkserver, that's £400 + in the UK...... 8o

Well I finally got OMV 3 installed and everything working.....installed the apt tool...excellent plugin to install Emby....managed to sort out rsync to copy files etc from the usb, if I can't figure something out I may have a question later, but all in all it does what I need it to do....the only issue I had was the notifications my isp uses port 457 which requires a further layer for communication/authentication, so I've used my outlook account instead which works.

Currently working through some issues regarding the school I do IT support for, but I'll explain that in another post....just to get your thoughts on what happened and it's final outcome....which I get the impression is not over yet....politically.

@flmaxey

Looks as if I've some catching up to do.....not been a good place over the last week + I'm sure the Head (Principle) where I look after the IT is a reincarnation of Boudicca, Attilla the Hun, Genghis Khan all rolled into one....added to that I'm trying to sort my own bits having finally got OMV v3 installed.

Back soon :thumbup:

I'm no expert at this, your removed drive is /dev/sda to re add it you'll first have wipe the superblock info, mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sda then mdadm /dev/md0 --add /dev/sda IF sda is the missing drive which it appears to be.

I would suggest you look at how you have this set up, your first sentence is the give away, as this will happen again should you need to replace a drive.

As I say I'm no expert at this.....but understand you have to remove the superblock info so that it can re created.

With me it happens at times, i click on a response it does not go. I mean the screen does not change. I click again same thing and again. The post i see is coming in thrice.

Yeah same here I've learn't to just refresh the page, you then get a message saying something that you've just posted blah blah.....but at least a reply or thread start does get added.

Donh, both Local master server" and "Wins" are disabled. I'll try the stuff around smbstatus more and report here ASAP
    Geaves, what you describe happened to me Friday: after rebooting both servers the issue disappeared. I just realized tonight that it came again ;-(
    Thx!

Ok, you tried that option in the smb conf file (smb deadtime - 0) on OMV, does your other server run samba? Mine did so I entered that in both smb conf files. @donh is correct in suggesting using wireshark. When everything is running smoothly the smbstatus will display what machines are connected and what they are connected too.....as yours is empty it relates to an error, possibly something similar to that on the bugzilla link.

Having set the smb log to debug this was part of the output from my original setup....

smbd[31743]: [2017/04/28 09:39:35.497405, 2, pid=31743, effective(0, 0), real(0, 0)] ../source3/smbd/server.c:443(remove_child_pid)
    Apr 28 09:39:35 nas4free smbd[31743]: Could not find child 94592 -- ignoring
    Apr 28 09:40:35 nas4free smbd[31743]: [2017/04/28 09:40:35.516441, 2, pid=31743, effective(0, 0), real(0, 0)] ../source3/smbd/server.c:443(remove_child_pid)

and this went on and on and on.......is there an option in smb to set a debug log? It may give more information. Be warned the debug option does increase resource use.

I did see a comment relating to this in the FTP section when someone asked about a file manager, so I downloaded it enabled FTP in OMV, connected...yeah Ok but I'm guessing this just got me into the root home folder.As I don't usually read help files and I very rarely do RTFM I gave up on it.
    Having read your comment above and a quick 'winscp using ssh' it does indeed use the key generated by the ssh connection without enabling anything else in OMV. So I have this working, :thumbup: and like SSH you can get to the root of the file system.
    TBH I very rarely use the file manager in Webmin on Ubuntu, unless I've made a complete 'pigs ear' of something or I want to change permission settings say for Emby Server. Like the other day I was trying rsync on a samba share which contains Emby's metadata, the share holds 2 directories with multiple sub directories....well the third time of trying I got it right!! The first two I had managed to extract the sub directories into the target....so the file manager saved the day as there were other folders in the target I did not want to delete.
    I have to admit this WinSCP is an excellent substitute, I had been trying to find out how nas4free had integrated QuiXplorer as this can change permissions, edit files, copy/paste etc.
    Technically this should not be needed for the average home user setting up a straightforward nas box, I just find this method more intuitive than the cli option. So I could look toward OMV v3 and only have to deal with mdadm from the command line....should I have too. That means a reinstall and a complete set up of the raids...no biggie.

How's your renovation going? I am a total non diyer, give a dishwasher, washing machine, cooker and I'll take it apart and repair it.....give me a piece of wood and you'd be lucky to get a garden stake :D I hate flat pack with a passion but I will figure it out....I can paint, but wallpapering is down to wife she's has a lot more patience.

Up.
    Am I the only one having this issue?????

EDIT: I just discovered that when I shutdown one of my other server which is uses my OMV box as a SMB server, the CPU load just disappear. So it must be my other server which stresses a bit too much my SMB server... Ideas, gents?

This was similar to my problem...it would make sense why your smbstatus returned empty, in my case I had a nas and a media server which accessed the nas via symlinks. I started getting high cpu from smdb and couldn't work it out.
    If I rebooted the nas the problem went away only for it to reappear, but the interesting part was no connections showed in smbstatus....the only way I got over the problem if the nas running smdb was restarted the I had to restart the media as well, this stopped the high cpu and smbstatus populated with the current connections, including any windows machines.

I never found a complete solution, but reboot one, reboot the other stopped it.

Hi, I take it you had a break?

Emby is like Plex it's a Home Theatre, but in my opinion is superior to Plex I like it's front end, and it you subscribe, again like Plex you can stream to other devices. My Pi2B runs Kodi in the lounge and as there is a plugin for Kodi within Emby it syncs your collections to Kodi, it all works flawlessly.

Going back to OMV, I dug out my old laptop, found a small hard drive and installed OMV v3....hhhhmmmm!! interesting, for one docker works :thumbup: which means adding Emby to a docker container was easy...I like easy. So I can resolve Emby which is great, ffmpeg needs installing but that can done from CLI or the installation of the apttool no biggie.
    There are 2 things that OMV lacks (and this is my opinion) from say an end user using mainly a Windows environment and looking at functionality of other distro's and that is; a) web based functional file manager, where you can copy/paste, change permissions, edit conf files etc. b) an mdadm plugin that allows you to manage your raid should a drive fail, without resorting to the CLI, which some end users would find rather daunting.

If I look at Ubuntu server with Webmin...this has Filemin a web based file manager, mdadm front end allows you to remove and replace a failed drive; however, it does not have rysnc, there a is a module syncmin and I've tried that.....so far, to me it's a pile of doo doo, unless I tell it to sync from the root of a folder i.e. /media/Volume1/Movies/ so it copies the total directory structure it seems to strip everything away so what you end up with is a jumble of directories and files.

Nas4Free was my last foray into nas storage, this works great, has zfs built in, raid maintenance is done from the gui and rysnc, has an intuitive file manager again web based....however, Emby had to installed from the cli (no biggie, but I then started having issues when updates came and the base O/S remained static), the other option was to use The Brig, but again this fell over as Emby developed and The Brig was running FreeBsd backports. They now have the option to install a VM, but my hardware is not good enough.

So getting back to the matter in hand....OMV 3 will run Emby in a Docker container, it has rysnc built in....on the point of a web based file manager....I have installed and tried MC via shellinabox....don't like it...sorry not for me...I have downloaded qiuixplorer which is what Nas4Free uses, and I've been trying to get my head around the set up read me....this should be simple, as I used to do the school's website, but I'm on a mental block. I have noticed comments on here that most use FTP, Ok Filezilla, WinSCP no problem...again I must be going through a mental block...allow superuser in OMV FTP using either Filezilla or WinSCP, yes I can connect but I can only get to root's home folder, I can't get to the root file system!!
    I tried the xfe as well, tried that once before on an Ubuntu set up....hogs resources, I ended having to kill it from the cli.

So OMV 3 has possibilities, for what I need and I wish I could code or at least understand it, I could then look at the things I want it too achieve and develop something. I'll give you a couple of examples take a simple smb conf file this is from my Ubuntu server;

#=========================Global Settings ========================#
    [global]
    workgroup = HOME
    server string = Ubuntu File Media Server
    netbiosname = homenas
    sercurity = user
    encrypt passwords = true
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    map to guest = bad user
    guest account = nobody
    dns proxy = no

guest ok = yes
    force user = geoff
    force group = sambashare

#===========================Share Definitions======================#

[TvShows]
    comment = Tv Shows for Emby
    path = /media/Volume1/TvShows
    browsable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    writeable = yes

[Movies]
    comment = Movies for Emby
    path = /media/Volume1/Movies
    browsable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    writeable = yes

[EmbyServer]
    comment = Emby Server Metadata
    path = /media/Volume1/EmbyServer
    browsable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    writeable = yes

[SuzisFiles]
    comment = Suzis File Storage
    path = /media/Volume2/SuzisFiles
    browsable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    writeable = yes

Ok everything is a guest set up, I've not set up the restricted shares yet, I've set no masks on these but I could have done

This is from OMV 2

#======================= Global Settings =======================
    [global]
    workgroup = HOME
    server string = omv server
    dns proxy = no
    log level = 0
    syslog = 0
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 1000
    syslog only = yes
    panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
    encrypt passwords = true
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    obey pam restrictions = yes
    unix password sync = no
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    pam password change = yes
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
    guest account = nobody
    load printers = no
    disable spoolss = yes
    printing = bsd
    printcap name = /dev/null
    unix extensions = yes
    wide links = no
    create mask = 0777
    directory mask = 0777
    map to guest = Bad User
    use sendfile = yes
    aio read size = 16384
    aio write size = 16384
    null passwords = yes
    local master = no
    time server = no
    wins support = no

#======================= Share Definitions =======================
    [EmbyMetadata]
    comment = Emby Metadata
    path = /media/184eddd3-7e2f-474c-ba30-6f963f553a1b/EmbyMetadata/
    guest ok = yes
    read only = no
    browseable = yes
    inherit acls = yes
    inherit permissions = no
    ea support = no
    store dos attributes = no
    printable = no
    create mask = 0755
    force create mode = 0644
    directory mask = 0755
    force directory mode = 0755
    hide dot files = yes
    read list =
    write list =

[TvShows]
    comment = Tv Shows for Emby
    path = /media/184eddd3-7e2f-474c-ba30-6f963f553a1b/TvShows/
    guest ok = yes
    read only = no
    browseable = yes
    inherit acls = yes
    inherit permissions = yes
    ea support = no
    printable = no
    create mask = 0755
    force create mode = 0644
    directory mask = 0755
    hide dot files = yes
    read list =
    write list =

[Movies]
    comment = Movie Files for Emby
    path = /media/184eddd3-7e2f-474c-ba30-6f963f553a1b/Movies/
    guest ok = yes
    read only = no
    browseable = yes
    inherit acls = yes
    inherit permissions = yes
    ea support = no
    printable = no
    create mask = 0755
    force create mode = 0644
    directory mask = 0755
    hide dot files = yes
    read list =
    write list =

[SuzisFiles]
    comment = Suzis school files
    path = /media/7e9c7264-5965-4f9d-aa15-36ef14524c4a/SuzisFiles/
    guest ok = yes
    read only = no
    browseable = yes
    inherit acls = yes
    inherit permissions = no
    ea support = no
    printable = no
    create mask = 0755
    force create mode = 0644
    directory mask = 0755
    hide dot files = yes
    read list =
    write list =

Hugely different, but this was also me trying to get the shares accessible, particularly in W10......why have everything set as guest, well it means the kids can access it and download movies if they want too.....and with the wife, I don't need to climb everest for her to get access to her files.

Don't you love computers, you can curse and swear at them, threaten them and they don't answer you back :D unless you use Cortana, but I've pulled her plug :P

TV now that was a curved ball....never heard of Catastrophe....it's on the 'other' channel....Channel 4...most of our viewing is done on the BBC...no adverts, if I want something on the other channels I record it that way I can skip the ads....but most of my recording is either Sky 1 or Sky Atlantic which are mostly American series :)

Ok I don't want to mess this up for you....that is the web interface for configuring printers on Linux....so there is a heading Cups for Administrators
    under there you see adding printers and classes...basically that's where you start.

I have no idea how OMV interacts with cups but that web interface is usual way to set up printers, if you have installed yours already using OMV then it just maybe a case of updating the HP printer file.