Posts by kefawirt

Puuh ... this was a tough piece of work.

When I reinstalled OMV 4.x, I disconnected (put cable off) all data-disks, only my system-M2 was already active ... installation was just fine, no problem. Then I reconnected all drives and then there was a bad surprise - grub was not loading my new installation; every time, I connected a data disk, a error similar like this (No init found. Try passing init=bootarg.) appeared: https://askubuntu.com/question…itramfs-error-during-boot

I found out, that my installation-USB-Stick was ! sda ! [wrong mount order] during installation, so grub put no boot-partition/-information on sda (my M2) after I removed the USB-Stick.

I found the solution (fix grub2) in this blog: https://dcandy.wordpress.com/2…ls-to-install-bootloader/

Finally, I looks quite fine to me ... OMV is reachable, data is already there ... hope this will last for a long time ^^

Thank you for your support!

Tried to uninstall union filesystem which works.

Reinstallation was another topic - got following message on startup:

RPC service 'UnionFilesystems' not found.
    Error #0:OMV\Rpc\Exception: RPC service 'UnionFilesystems' not found. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc:99Stack trace:#0 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('UnionFilesystem...', 'getList', Array, Array, 1)#1 {main}

And another one - see attached - during installation-process.

At this point, I'll stop fixing union filesystem and will reinstall OMV; guess this will work or at least hope so.

That's Ok, but what @ryecoaaron is telling you is to clear your browser cache that is why you are seeing the error

So I tried CTRL+F5 ... thought this should be ok. Now I followed these steps:

But the message is still the same.

//more info: Just updated from 3.xx to 4.1.11.

//again more info: Tried it with another browser (IE 11) ... some message.

No, guess it doesn't work. Ctrl+F5 ... no change in behaviour.

Browser: Chrome 68.0

Here's the stacktrace:

I tried the ubuntu-live-system; the test-scenario wasn't as meaningful as I wanted it to be, but as conclusio: It seams, ubuntu accept this controller / usb-4-bay-box.

First of all, I didn't really had much permission; even as sudo, it was not possible (for me) to write any files (folders were possible) or to access some cifs-shares or install something and so on; this is the reason why I have no dmesg-info as file atm. The system was stable, I could read the content of two disks (no ST2000DL003-9VT166) enclosured in the 4-bay-drive; in this constellation, OMV already had problems.

What will I do next? I guess, I'll not use my 4-bay-box anymore in combination with OMV - except, I get some info how to manipulate some modules.conf-file change settings (CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN) or OMV supports my controller in future (don't know how to realize this ;)).

subzero79: Thanks a lot for your support and your quick responses! Even if the problem isn't solved, I learned lot of things about debian-mechanism, so time wasn't wasted at all!

I managed to run a live-demo of Ubuntu 17.04 on my OMV-PC; first I thought, it would work fine - I cannot write anything (guess this means, that I only have read-permissions), but for a few moment, it works fine, could send a "dmesg". But little later, it's not possible to interact with this Ubuntu-demo; not sure atm, if there's a problem with my keyboard or some services aren't run correctly?! Will have more investigations on sunday.

Is it possible to take a look via SSH and putty on this live-view-installation or is this feature disabled on live-demo?

Kernel: 4.8.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

---
    Update: Your links told me to try it with USB 2.0; so I changed the USB-Port, but the result is finally the same; with one disk, everything looks quite promising (better than with USB 3.0 - fast, no errors), but atm with more plugged drives, dmesg shows me infos like:

Code
    [ 428.747794] sd 19:0:0:1: rejecting I/O to offline device
    [ 428.748053] sd 19:0:0:1: rejecting I/O to offline device
    [ 428.748205] sd 19:0:0:1: rejecting I/O to offline device
    [ 428.748343] sd 19:0:0:1: rejecting I/O to offline device
    [ 428.748535] sd 19:0:0:1: rejecting I/O to offline device

Attached, you'll find the output, incl. sdm, sdn, sdo. I cannot bring you all smart-information about the disk inserted in the 4bay-box, because I got an error: Read Device Identity failed: empty IDENTIFY data.

So, I put them one after the other in ANOTHER (only one slot) storage box; the reason is that I did not get any infos after the "attributes"-block (Read SMART Log Directory failed; Read SMART Error Log failed; Read SMART Self-test Log failed; Read SMART Selective Self-test Log failed; always with an explanation like "The waiting time for the connection has expired") when putting the disks in the 4bay-box. Hope, these smart-values are valid when located inside a box - if it's necessary, I connect them with an internal SATA-Port.

Btw: When I shut the system down, there is a "stop job running for device 09/10/11" for minutes - only for the disks in the 4bay-box.
    Btw2: When I read smart-values from a disk in the 4bay-drive, it lasts a long time and maybe a timeout occurs. When I put the same disk into a single-slot-box, everything seems to be ok?

Maybe I should forget about the 4bay-enclosure? It doesn't seem to be compatible with either operation system or the mainboard?!

I changed the existing values, added /etc/default/openmediavault: OMV_HTTPREQUEST_TIMEOUT and restarted all devices. Then I tried to list the content of disk09 or disk 10 (both in external box) via ssh and I got the following message which seems to be similar like the respond from GUI (by the way: even the GUI-respond starts "immediately" which means after 10 seconds):

Code
    root@omv:~# ls /srv/dev-disk-by-label-data09/data/
    ls: Zugriff auf /srv/dev-disk-by-label-data09/data/ nicht möglich: Eingabe-/Ausgabefehler

German language output which means "Access to /srv/... not possible: Input-/Outputerror.

From other devices (for example disk08 which is internal), there's no problem from ssh to list content; tree-command like you gave me above is also working after the Input-/Outputerror-Message.

@LUN: Lots of people have problems with for example card reader, etc. based on USB when connecting them to a linux-system; some more link-examples, hope I got the point:

https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/3691691/
    http://kernel.xc.net/html/linu…est4/sparc/SCSI_MULTI_LUN

Ok, this information is not brand new, but I could not find this setting in OMV, so I tought it might be the problem?

---

Update: I don't know why or how but this time, I got an error-dialog from GUI:

Code
    Header:
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; blockdev --getsize64 '/dev/sdm' 2>&1' with exit code '1': blockdev: cannot open /dev/sdm: No such device or address
    Body:
    Error #0: exception 'OMV\ExecException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; blockdev --getsize64 '/dev/sdm' 2>&1' with exit code '1': blockdev: cannot open /dev/sdm: No such device or address' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:175 Stack trace: #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/blockdevice.inc(270): OMV\System\Process->execute(Array) #1 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/diskmgmt.inc(83): OMV\System\BlockDevice->getSize() #2 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceDiskMgmt->enumerateDevices(NULL, Array) #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #4 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/diskmgmt.inc(118): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('enumerateDevice...', NULL, Array) #5 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceDiskMgmt->getList(Array, Array) #6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #7 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('getList', Array, Array) #8 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('DiskMgmt', 'getList', Array, Array, 1) #9 {main}

But I guess, this only means that it cannot access some device (sdm); sdm is disk10, a disk without access even from shell.

No, I think label and UUID are different:

Hi there!

Main-Problem:
    Fantec QB-35US3-6G (external storage box with 4 bays) only recognizes one drive; all other drives from the box are not available.

Details:
    Some days ago, I startet with my OMV-Project (moving my spreaded disks from windows-platform into a new case, controlled by OMV), till now it seems to run quite perfect, but at the moment I have a problem and no clue!?
    Each time, I put more than one disk in my box, OMV has problems in showing me the "File System"-menu entry or the "Physical Disks" in the GUI (Messages: connection timeout, bad gateway), startup-prozess tell me, that it can not find some /dev/disk-by-label-dataxx-device. I turned Mr. Google on and he told me several things about "activating multiple LUN support" on, for example these links:

http://ask.adaptec.com/app/ans…e-lun-support-in-linux%3F
    http://muddygoat.org/articles/multi-lun
    http://www.fantec-forum.de/ind…latte-erkannt-solved/?l=1

So, I'm a noob in Linux-configuration, but most/all of this information wasn't suitable, either because kernel-feature wasn't compiled or wrong distribution an so an.
    I hope somebody can tell me how to set up my box in a correct way or active multiple LUNs or some other tipps.

Some Facts
    OMV-Version: 3.0.7
    Kernel-Version: 4.8.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
    Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-B250M-DS3H
    External Storage-Box: Fantec QB-35US3-6G

Thank you for any tipps and help!