Beiträge von FROMV

Dear OMV Community,

Thanks to your help received in these last days, I understood that the RAID is not the way I have to go for my personal NAS and use. At the moment, I have 2 x 6 TB (just arrived, EXT4, just mounted in the OMV) and 2 x 4 TB (in RAID 1, which data I am copying to one drive of 6 TB). Once all the data from the RAID1 are transferred, I will remove the RAID 1 and I will mount the disks again. At the moment I still do not have any needs to pool the disks, as at the moment I have just 3.5 TB used.

I am writing because I still have some doubt....I am reading and more I read and more I understand that I know less and less. My first plan was to create a data disk and backup with the 6tb pair and a data disk and backup with the 4tb pair. Now I have some doubt, maybe I can pool 6+4+4 and keep one 6tb for backup for important documents and files.

Reading about snapraid and margerfs, there is something that I am not fully sure:

1) Can I use snapraid without parity? Or it does not make any sense? I am asking because my real question is: does snapraid has some kind of advantage over the "normal" mounted disks? Advantage like checksum, more disk/data protection, more speed, more reliability... I could not understand from the snapraid site

2) if sanpraid has some advantage over normal mounted disk, does it make any sense to to have one disk for data in snapraid and one normal disk for backup (just mounted)?

3) Reading some example of snapraid (which I could misunderstood) I saw for example 3 disks of 6 tb for data and one disk of 6 tb for parity to restore the data in case any one of the three disks is gone? Did I understood well? How 6 tb of parity can restore any of 6tb data? If this is true, how big is the capacity of the data pool? 6+6+6=18tb?

4) Should I use this command to format my disks: mkfs.ext4 -m 0 -T largefile4 -L LabelXYZ /dev/sdX1? I just create the EXT4 in OMV by GUI, something wrong with this?

5) I still have enough space, so I do not need to merge disks and folder at the moment. However I was wondering if the problem with the disappeared directories in the sharefolders when using mergerfs is sorted out? Or still mounting MergerFS shares at startup by commenting out the AssertPathIsDirectory is the best solution?

6) Where can I find this file to edit (to solve the disappeared shared directories issue)?

7) Should I use mergerFS by GUI or from the SSH by command? Any disadvantage with GUI?

My apologies for the long thread and too many questions. Hopefully you can find the time to read and help.

Thank you Guys!!!

Thank you so much for your sharing knowledges, I know, it can sound repetitive, but I really appreciate your help guys. I have learnt something today as well and it is a day well spent :)!!!

1) The additional tool for checksum you are talking in point 1) is rysnc as for point 3), isn't it? Or were you advising anther solution which you prefer?

2) For SMART monitoring I have just to enable and use the the one in OMV GUI, isn't it? No further action required?

3) Reading the checksum in the rsync link you kindly shared, I am not sure I understood well, as it seems that the checksum is enabled before the first transfer. By the way if I understood well your advice, I should make the first transfer without the checksum enabled (rsync is doing a kind of checksum by default). Just when the transfer is fully finish I have to make a second scan with the checksum enabled. Is it correct?

4) After the first copy should I keep the checksum enabled or do you suggest to switch it off after the the second run?

5) From the instructions "Generating the checksums means that both sides will expend a lot of disk I/O reading all the data in the files in the transfer (and this is prior to any reading that will be done to transfer changed files), so this can slow things down significantly." Does it mean that the space will be reduced generating the checksum and the speed of my HDDs slowed down?

6) In your experience, do you have any advice for the checksum? Always open to learn from you guys!

Thanks!!!

Thank you.

Indeed, rsnapshot is a very useful tool. Most probably I could save my job, as I have replaced with a corrupted file, but of course it was too late after 10 sec I copied the file :(.

1) If I go for normal file system (1 disk for data and 1 disk for backup), do I have SMART monitor, power control and check/checksum tool available? (I have read all the RAQ of snapraid)?

2) mergerfs is also for disk? Of course I can share the maim folder (an do all the files and folders inside), but does it have some advantage over UnionFS if I have to marge two or more disks?

3) The new HDDs are arriving :), which one is the best method to copy all the files from RAID1 (4 TB) to the new disks? Is there any good tip to follow in order to check the integrity of the files? Essentially I mean if there is a way to stress less the HDD during the copy and keep or check the integrity of the files?

Thank you again for the help!!

Thank you so much to have found the time to answer to my questions and share links where I can find useful info, a lot appreciated -||-. I will try to understand better, as my ideas are still not clear enough.

Honestly I decided to go with RAID because I did not have good knowledge (and still I do not have ahahah) and I thought it was the right thing to do with a server in order to access to the data quickly and with redundant data. I thought it was the only and best file system for a server. As I have to expand the capacity of my server now, I did some research and here I am with my doubts :). By the way something is sure, I will replace the RAID with a "normal" one (I do not know the technical nomenclature), if I need some pool in the future I could use the snapraid (still I have to read from your link).

Before I start to read the links above, to better understand the direction to focus to, please could I ask further if the reason to mergerfs? as I cannot understand the utility to marge two or more folders, maybe because my folders are not so big in dimension.

If I did not understood wrong, you are advice to start making two drives one for data and one for backup. Should I use rsync to backup the data I need to save?

Cheers -||-

Thank you very much for the confirmation.

Actually, reading here and there, I understood that most probably it could be better for me going with to no raid and no pool and use rsync to create a backup. Or another option could be use UnionFS and Snapraid or no pool and MergeFS. I have to understand better as I am just learning and I must study more. Please could you explain me:

1) Can I use snapraid to create a backup/copy instead than rsync. I mean, Is snapraid a substitute of rsync to backup data? Any disadvantage or advantage?

2) Is snapraid or no pool fast as RAID0 or RAID1? Which one is better in my case?

3) If I go for no pool or snapraid, should I choose EXT4 or BTRFF? Any disadvantage or advantage?

4) If with UnionFS and snapraid I can create a copy/backup of the files, what option I have to copy/backup files in margeFS? Is Rsync an option?

5) With MergeFS, UnionFS and snapraid, can I use HDDs with different capacity?

I am sorry for all these questions and if I am doing some confusion, I just took info here and there and I am trying to connect in order to make the best choice for my server. If you have any advice on how I should proceed, I am ready to learn.

Thank you!!

Dear Community,

I have a HP ProLiant microserver Gen8 and used two disks so far (4tb each). I decided to upgrade to four disks and now I have options with respect of RAID.

Can I add another 2 disks in Raid 1 with a bigger HDD capacity (i.e 8 Tb each)? I would like to avoid to create a RIAD10 in order to have more space, always if I can have a RAID1 of 4tb (4tb + 4 tb) and a RAID of 8tb (8tb + 8 tb) in my ProLiant microserver Gen8 at the same time. Is there any disadvantage to have two RAID1 with different capacity?

Thank you very much!

Hi Guys. I am a new member and I am new in linux and openmediaserver world as well. I have a HP microserver gen8 and the OS is running on a SSD. Unfortunately I cannot enable the FTP service, when I try to enable I have this error message:

Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; invoke-rc.d 'proftpd' start 2>&1': Starting ftp server: proftpdPicchioli proftpd[15297]: mod_tls/2.4.3: compiled using OpenSSL version 'OpenSSL 1.0.1e 11 Feb 2013' headers, but linked to OpenSSL version 'OpenSSL 1.0.1t 3 May 2016' library Picchioli proftpd[15297]: mod_sftp/0.9.8: compiled using OpenSSL version 'OpenSSL 1.0.1e 11 Feb 2013' headers, but linked to OpenSSL version 'OpenSSL 1.0.1t 3 May 2016' library Picchioli proftpd[15297]: mod_tls_memcache/0.1: notice: unable to register 'memcache' SSL session cache: Memcache support not enabled Picchioli proftpd[15297]: warning: unable to determine IP address of 'Picchioli.g_f' Picchioli proftpd[15297]: error: no valid servers configured Picchioli proftpd[15297]: Fatal: error processing configuration file '/etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf' failed! invoke-rc.d: initscript proftpd, action "start" failed.

And in Details:

Error #4000:exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; invoke-rc.d 'proftpd' start 2>&1': Starting ftp server: proftpdPicchioli proftpd[15297]: mod_tls/2.4.3: compiled using OpenSSL version 'OpenSSL 1.0.1e 11 Feb 2013' headers, but linked to OpenSSL version 'OpenSSL 1.0.1t 3 May 2016' libraryPicchioli proftpd[15297]: mod_sftp/0.9.8: compiled using OpenSSL version 'OpenSSL 1.0.1e 11 Feb 2013' headers, but linked to OpenSSL version 'OpenSSL 1.0.1t 3 May 2016' libraryPicchioli proftpd[15297]: mod_tls_memcache/0.1: notice: unable to register 'memcache' SSL session cache: Memcache support not enabledPicchioli proftpd[15297]: warning: unable to determine IP address of 'Picchioli.g_f'Picchioli proftpd[15297]: error: no valid servers configuredPicchioli proftpd[15297]: Fatal: error processing configuration file '/etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf' failed!invoke-rc.d: initscript proftpd, action "start" failed.' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/initscript.inc:176Stack trace:#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/initscript.inc(141): OMVSysVInitScript->invoke('start')#1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/initscript.inc(61): OMVSysVInitScript->start()#2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/proftpd.inc(79): OMVSysVInitScript->exec()#3 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(206): OMVModuleProftpd->startService()#4 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChanges(Array, Array)#5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(158): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array)#7 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(224): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('applyChanges', Array, Array)#8 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChangesBg(Array, Array)#9 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#10 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChangesBg', Array, Array)#11 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(500): OMVRpc::exec('Config', 'applyChangesBg', Array, Array, 1)#12 {main}

I read other threads with this problem, but the message error is different.

Can someone help me please? Thank you very much in advance.