Beiträge von nasnas

And this should be related to another USB quirk in kernel? Clearly not, right?

The above patch was meant to be tested against Seagate enclosures (ASM1153 with 'branded' firmware). Unfortunately zero feedback here.

I have no idea indeed. I used a JMS578 bridge and a 5TB Seagate 2.5inch HDD as I described in previous post.
    I didn't add any USB quirk option in the kernel parameter since many people mentioned the JMS578 is very compatible with Linux.

By the way, I could reproduce the issue with "mkfs.ext4 -b 4096 -m 0 -E lazy_itable_init=0,lazy_journal_init=0 /dev/sda1" command on Armbian too.
    If I removed " -E lazy_itable_init=0,lazy_journal_init=0", the format process completed without any error.
    The command seems to be identical to the OMV "Create File System" function.

Did you have any problem while you use "Create File System" menu with your Rock64 + ASM1153 + Hitachi HDD ?

Thank you for the new kernel package. I've successfully updated the kernel. Kernel version has been changed to 4.9.37 from 4.9.33.
    My CloudShell2(JMS561) has no issue with the new kernel as well as the previous kernel while running "Create File System" (my previous report).

But "Create File System" crashes another XU4 that works with the JMS578 + 5TB HDD within a few seconds.
    With newer kernel, there was no "Ring expansion failed" but the SSH has no response at all. The blue LED turned off and rebooted in 1~2 minutes automatically.

I will stop digging the uas things and disable it until my rock64 arrives in few weeks. I'm very curious how the rock64 can manage the various uas chipset issues.
    But I don't know why I've been so interested in the uas things since my HDD Samba performance is not so influenced by the uas feature. :)

It's me again.
    I played with a 2.5" 5TB HDD which was extracted from the Seagate Backup-plus box because it is not compatible with Linux UAS driver.
    Seagate Baraccuda 5TB HDD is around $200 while the Backup Plus is only $140. So I could save $60 easily. ;)
    Yes, the Backup Plus box has the same Baraccuda 5TB HDD.

Anyway, I found a small sata-usb adapter board which has JMS578 chip on ebay. It really worked well with the UAS driver in XU4 for a few days.
    I could upload and download over 3TB files without single bit error with stable 100MB/s speed over Samba.
    Last night, I just wanted to clean the disk with a format option in the OMV "file systems" menu.
    It started to wipe and format. But several seconds later, there was a popup of "communication failure".
    I connected to SSH and "dmesg" showed tons of "Ring expansion failed" like followings.

It seems to be related to the UAS things. So I disabled it and I could successfully format the disk. I can access the Samba again. :)
    The actual read/write speed over Samba has no big difference even I turn the UAS driver off. It is still over 100MB/sec.
    But I just turned the UAS on again for better feeling. It still works stably.

I just want to share what I met last night and how I could overcome the nightmare.
    Thread based OMV disk formatting routine seems to send a tons of sequential UAS commands and the bad UAS or USB driver in XU4 kernel might make the disk be crazy.
    If anybody knows a real root cause of the "Ring expansion failure" problem, please let me know.

Great! Appreciate your valuable tests.
    My XU4 CPU temperature is near 75°C with similar NAS performance.

BTW, your HDD seems to be much faster than mine. My 5TB is 5400rpm while yours is 7200rpm.
    Stupid Seagate also broke the UAS compatibility against Linux.
    I have to invest more time to search a Linux friendly enclosure this weekend before Rock64 arrives here.

It is really hard to find a reliable seller who sells a real Linux UAS compatible enclosure on ebay/amazon.
    Time to forget the perfect UAS compatibility in the ARM & x86 Linux world for a while.
    I can live without UAS since I still have around 90MB/sec Samba performance with XU4. Let's see how it can be improved with Rock64.

Anyway, my Seagate 5TB has worked very stably with XU4 for a couple of weeks without extra power cable.
    When I looked into the XU4 schematics, they used 2Amp load switch on the USB 3.0 power rail. So it is very reasonable.
    If I ran a very heavy load like transcoding on all 8-cores at 2Ghz, the peak current could be over 3Amp. So I must use a 6Amp power supply because the HDD in-rush current could be over 1Amp.
    Another Toshiba 2TB external HDD and the problematic Seagate 5TB could work together thanks to the 6Amp PSU.

Do you know the maximum clock of the Rock64 CPU and the spec of the load switch on the USB 3.0 port?
    If it is too much out of topic, I can wait until I receive it in August or September. :)

Too bad~~.
    I thought ROCK64 or other kernel update can solve my issue. But there is nothing to do with Linux at this moment probably.
    That storage works well on my Windows10 PC in UAS mode.
    Sadly there is no hope Microsoft opens their UAS driver source code for Linux users. :(

I will open the case to extract the 5TB HDD.
    Can you recommend a 2.5" disk enclosure which works with Linux UAS driver?

UAS vs. Mass Storage is really not that important if we're talking about typical NAS use cases especially with rather slow HDDs.

Most people are typical NAS users like me. My 3.5" WD 4TB RED NAS HDDs are also very slow too.
    So I can live without UAS since I can't build a NAS with very expensive SSDs. :)

But can you find any possible way to enable the UAS for my poor 2.5" 5TB Seagate HDD on ROCK64 kernel or XU4 kernel?
    Its USB ID is 0bc2:2322 Seagate RSS LLC.
    I hope the ROCK64 comes with a newer kernel 4.12 or higher.

Thank you for the detail explanation. So my current 100MB/s of Samba speed will be 50MB/s once my sister fills it with 5TB files in 4~5 years later. :(

My Seagate 2.5" 5TB and 3.5" 4TB Desktop Expansion HDDs are not Linux friendly either. My Mint x86 PC shows this message.

Code
    UAS is blacklisted for this device, using usb-storage instead

But I still get sufficient 100MB/s of Samba speed with those external HDDs.
    I believed the UAS is not so important for NAS application if we don't have 10Gbit infrastructure. But I was totally wrong.

Anyway, I hope you guys can fix the issue in RK3328 kernel soon because I just ordered two ROCK64 boards. :)
    I guess ROCK64 is rock solid and its Samba performance is better than my XU4 because ROCK64 kernel must fix my shitty UAS compatibility issue soon.

Thank you for the help. I modified both two files and the max clock is limited at 1.5Ghz after reboot.
    It reduces the power consumption and the heat obviously. The fan is running very rarely now.
    Anyway, the Samba speed is still impressive even with a quite slow 2.5inch 5TB HDD.
    The performance is very similar to my CloudShell2. But I have to build a tiny 2.5" NAS for my sister.

This is the test result with the 2.5" HDD. So the random access speed is very slow.

BTW, I hope the ROCK64 also can be a very affordable NAS solution for the low-power consumption 2.5" HDDs.
    Do you have a 2.5" HDD to test the ROCK64 NAS performance?

I want to lower than maximum clock of the A15 big cores to lower the power consumption.
    I already tried to change /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu4/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq to 1.5GHz from 2Ghz and the CIFS download speed is still over 100MB/s with Seagate 2.5inch external 5TB HDD.
    Please let me know which file I need to edit in the XU4 OMV rootfs to change the max clock permanently.