Posts by trey.merkley

So I moved a few times and wasn't as careful with my decade old, refurbished when I bought it machine as I would have like to have been able to, so it stopped working. Weird, since I have the OS on a flash drive, but either way I should be able to plug it into a hard drive dock and still play with my stuff until I can get a new box.

I got a dock and plugged it in. Comes up as linux-raid in gparted, which makes sense, since it's a raid1. Fine, try to open with Dolphin, mdadm, etc., nothing. I keep running into a wall with this, and since it houses all of my data, I don't really want to do as much exploring as I normally would with another project.

Here's my terminal output, accidentally broken commands and all:

I that doesn't work come back I did find something on the Steam forums, just means I'll have to find it again :)
    There you go

Thanks! I tried the symlinks plugin, and now games install. Now my problem is that they won't run! That's for me to troubleshoot, though, so thanks. As for the link you put in, I'm doing this on my Linux partition, so there aren't any permission issues there, but I'll keep it in mind when installing stuff on my Windows partition.

@geaves I did not know about the symlinks plugin, I'll install it and see what happens.

Steam game network, yes. In addition to the application folders, Steam has a separate directory that houses all games. While I can point it to an SMB share, it can't currently write symlinks to it, resulting in an error. However, if the symlinks plugin fixes this, that'd be perfect.

I'm trying to set up my OMV storage as my Steam directory, but I'm running into trouble because my current go-to protocol, SMB, doesn't like symlinks. From what I can tell, NFS and SSHFS could be possible solutions to this, just using these on my Linux desktops and SMB on my Windows desktop, but I don't know how to set these up or if they're the best way to go about this. I have NFS turned on, but I don't know the address to mount it in Nautilus, and I remember SSHFS was more or less ignored for development because Windows pretty much has no SSH support, official or otherwise.

What should I do?

So I upgraded to OMV4, and it went pretty well: my ssh connection dropped during the upgrade process, but a dpkg reconfigure and apt upgrade later everything is running smoothly.

However, the update's broken SMB for me. So far I've verified that it is indeed the upgrade and SMB that caused this, because the problem occurs on both my desktop and my Android phone. /etc/samba/smb.conf looks fine, and FTP works well enough. I tried forcing SMB2 and SMB3 from my Linux box's end, but it didn't work.

What logs or other information do you guys need?

EDIT: Turns out it just needed more apt upgrades.

• why not upgrading to OMV4?

I haven't needed to until now, and while I know dist-upgrade is pretty stable, I've had bad experiences with it in the past and I wanted to make sure I deleted everything I needed to to upgrade. I most likely will upgrade after moving everything around.

Otherwise, thanks for all of the info. I'll poke around and try to get this set up when I have a spare minute.

So my system right now is an Ext4 Raid1 with encryption. I set it up this way for data preservation, but I've been reading around, and it seems like Ext4 is a poor way of going about it.

As it happens, though, I just replaced one of my working drives, so in theory I have a disc with all of my data. I was thinking I should convert to a BTRFS pool, but I wanted to hear your thoughts on it. My server is an older desktop with 4Gb of memory, the OS on a flash drive, and a dual core processor.

My assumption is that I could plug the extra drive in my desktop, create a new encrypted BTRFS pool with the new drives, copy over my files, and get the same performance, but with better data preservation. If this is wrong, why, and how would I go about doing what I want or whatever I need that I don't know yet?

Alright, I ran cryptsetup resize /dev/dm-0, and after it completed, I went to the web GUI and ran the resize command. It's now showing the server at full size.
    As for the other question about converting to a btrfs system, should I post in a new thread?

Yeah, it is ext4, and here's the output:
    $ sudo umount /dev/dm-0[sudo] password for laptop:$ fsck -f /dev/dm-0-dash: 6: fsck: not found$ resize2fs /dev/dm-0-dash: 7: resize2fs: not found$ sudo resize2fs /dev/dm-0resize2fs 1.43.3 (04-Sep-2016)Please run 'e2fsck -f /dev/dm-0' first.

$ sudo e2fsck -f /dev/dm-0e2fsck 1.43.3 (04-Sep-2016)Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizesPass 2: Checking directory structurePass 3: Checking directory connectivityPass 4: Checking reference countsPass 5: Checking group summary informationClementine: 222434/30523392 files (0.8% non-contiguous), 119426708/122063360 blocks$ sudo resize2fs /dev/dm-0resize2fs 1.43.3 (04-Sep-2016)The filesystem is already 122063360 (4k) blocks long. Nothing to do!

So I had an asymmetrical Raid1 as a basic file server. One drive was .5Tb and the other was 2Tb. I just replaced the .5 with another 2Tb, and I'm trying to resize the filesystem to match the new size.

My issue is functionally identical to the one in this thread, so I followed the same instructions, ie forcing mdadm to resync to the max capacity. However now that it's completed, the webclient still is showing the former size, and the thread essentially stops after running this command. What do I need to do to get it the right size? My guess was to ssh into the system and run parted, but I figured there's a better way to do this.

EDIT: After looking around on the forum, it looks like doing a Raid1 was a bad idea from the get-go (or at least should have been migrated at some point over the past couple of years). Since I have the old drive and no new data had been added, could I create a btrfs pool with the 2Tb drives, plug the old drive into my desktop, and copy everything over?