Posts by trey.merkley

So I'm trying to set up NFS, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get it to mount properly. My plan is to follow this guide, but I figure I should make sure I can mount with `mount` first.

My options on NFS are:

Code
    subtree_check,insecure,anonuid=1000,anongid=100,no_root_squash

I have the id flags in because I read that it doesn't work with different ids, and my clients are all Arch boxes.

I'm mounting with:

Code
    sudo mount -t nfs -o vers=4 server:/ /mnt/location

I can mount fine, but when I run ls /mnt/server I get:

Code
    ls: cannot open directory '/mnt/location/server': Permission denied

What do I need to try?

I was able to fix it. My /etc/hosts file was improperly formatted, so sudo was broken, and that's why I was running into the problem with system information. By uninstalling and reinstalling samba, samba-common, and proftpd, and after that running through the official setup guide, I got a functional system.

Now, of course, I'm having trouble with my /etc/fstab on my main machine now that I'm trying to set up automatic mounting, but that's a problem for another day :D:D

Code
    ~# cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities : [raid1] [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raid10]
    md0 : active (auto-read-only) raid1 sda[2] sdb[0]
    1953383512 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]
    bitmap: 0/4 pages [0KB], 262144KB chunk
    unused devices: <none>

Oh, cool. Can you point me to the thread so I can do that? I didn't know you can turn off encryption.

I did try to wipe it and add a new partition table in Gparted, but no dice. I thought there was no official guide, otherwise I definitely would have used it. Thanks for looking into this!

• cat /proc/mdstat
    Code
    Personalities : [raid1] [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raid10]
    md0 : active (auto-read-only) raid1 sda[2] sdb[0]
    1953383512 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]
    bitmap: 0/4 pages [0KB], 262144KB chunk
    unused devices: <none>
    • blkid
    Code
    /dev/sdb: UUID="36a07439-25d7-61e3-30c3-5498558c6fe4" UUID_SUB="72cc9219-bc73-0a47-fd57-cd84f1df76a8" LABEL="clementine:raid1" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/md0: UUID="8095e582-9162-487e-9915-65c8fec03bcb" TYPE="crypto_LUKS"
    /dev/sda: UUID="36a07439-25d7-61e3-30c3-5498558c6fe4" UUID_SUB="78499efb-7d7f-8812-0703-d80f8ab684ae" LABEL="clementine:raid1" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/sdc1: UUID="31819f91-9a46-4e57-a937-b9ffe7fce1d5" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="1c2620a5-01"
    /dev/sdc5: UUID="3366531a-97f4-4bc2-98d3-8784da4ae144" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="1c2620a5-05"
    • fdisk -l | grep "Disk "
    Code
    Disk /dev/sdb: 1.8 TiB, 2000398934016 bytes, 3907029168 sectors
    Disk model: ST2000VM003-1ET1
    Disk /dev/sda: 1.8 TiB, 2000398934016 bytes, 3907029168 sectors
    Disk model: WDC WD2002FYPS-0
    Disk identifier: 0x4218e81f
    Disk /dev/md0: 1.8 TiB, 2000264716288 bytes, 3906767024 sectors
    Disk /dev/sdc: 15 GiB, 16106127360 bytes, 31457280 sectors
    Disk model: Flash Disk
    Disk identifier: 0x1c2620a5
    • cat /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
    • mdadm --detail --scan --verbose
    Code
    ARRAY /dev/md0 level=raid1 num-devices=2 metadata=1.2 name=clementine:raid1 UUID=36a07439:25d761e3:30c35498:558c6fe4
    devices=/dev/sda,/dev/sdb
    • Post type of drives and quantity being used as well.

Seagate 2Tb

Westerm Digital Enterprise 2Tb

• Post what happened for the array to stop working? Reboot? Power loss?

Moving places of living

• mdadm --detail /dev/md0
    • wipefs -n /dev/md0
    Code
    DEVICE OFFSET TYPE UUID LABEL
    md0 0x0 crypto_LUKS 8095e582-9162-487e-9915-65c8fec03bcb

I have a Raid1 and I was on 4.x. I had a move and in the process both of my drives were borked. One made the system unbootable and the other was still booting, just giving a warning when I do, so I promptly replaced the most-broken drive.

Trying to add it via the GUI didn't work, so I did via mdadm:

Code
    sudo mdadm --manage /dev/md0 --add /dev/sda

That ran fine from an mdadm standpoint, but now my filesystem is showing up as missing. Everything else is normal, however: both disks show up and they show as being a part of the same RAID. I know this happens all the time, and I knew that a new major version of the OS was out, so after trying to remove and re-add the relevant lines in /etc/fstab, which didn't work, I decided to upgrade to 5.x and see if that was the problem. I followed the guide here and the update went more or less fine. However, it didn't fix my initial issue, and introduced a couple of new ones: system information doesn't load, either as a dashboard widget or the actual system information page, and both FTP and SMB aren't working.

The latter I chalked up to being an issue with the missing filesystem, and I figured I would try to fix that before trying to fix this new problem. The former, however, seemed unconnected. It looks like from a few posts that the usual fix is to clear the browser cache, so on Firefox I went to Preferences > Privacy & Security > Cookies and Site Data > Clear Data... > Cached Web Content and deleted all of the cached web content. Still no luck.

I know there are some standard commands every support request is supposed to run and post the output of, but for the life of me I can't find that thread. Let me know what you need me to do, thanks!

Files

• syslog.txt

(860.52 kB, downloaded 13 times, last: )

So I moved a few times and wasn't as careful with my decade old, refurbished when I bought it machine as I would have like to have been able to, so it stopped working. Weird, since I have the OS on a flash drive, but either way I should be able to plug it into a hard drive dock and still play with my stuff until I can get a new box.

I got a dock and plugged it in. Comes up as linux-raid in gparted, which makes sense, since it's a raid1. Fine, try to open with Dolphin, mdadm, etc., nothing. I keep running into a wall with this, and since it houses all of my data, I don't really want to do as much exploring as I normally would with another project.

Here's my terminal output, accidentally broken commands and all:

I that doesn't work come back I did find something on the Steam forums, just means I'll have to find it again :)
    There you go

Thanks! I tried the symlinks plugin, and now games install. Now my problem is that they won't run! That's for me to troubleshoot, though, so thanks. As for the link you put in, I'm doing this on my Linux partition, so there aren't any permission issues there, but I'll keep it in mind when installing stuff on my Windows partition.

@geaves I did not know about the symlinks plugin, I'll install it and see what happens.

Steam game network, yes. In addition to the application folders, Steam has a separate directory that houses all games. While I can point it to an SMB share, it can't currently write symlinks to it, resulting in an error. However, if the symlinks plugin fixes this, that'd be perfect.

I'm trying to set up my OMV storage as my Steam directory, but I'm running into trouble because my current go-to protocol, SMB, doesn't like symlinks. From what I can tell, NFS and SSHFS could be possible solutions to this, just using these on my Linux desktops and SMB on my Windows desktop, but I don't know how to set these up or if they're the best way to go about this. I have NFS turned on, but I don't know the address to mount it in Nautilus, and I remember SSHFS was more or less ignored for development because Windows pretty much has no SSH support, official or otherwise.

What should I do?

So I upgraded to OMV4, and it went pretty well: my ssh connection dropped during the upgrade process, but a dpkg reconfigure and apt upgrade later everything is running smoothly.

However, the update's broken SMB for me. So far I've verified that it is indeed the upgrade and SMB that caused this, because the problem occurs on both my desktop and my Android phone. /etc/samba/smb.conf looks fine, and FTP works well enough. I tried forcing SMB2 and SMB3 from my Linux box's end, but it didn't work.

What logs or other information do you guys need?

EDIT: Turns out it just needed more apt upgrades.