Posts by JukeboxBill

Is it?

There used to be a whole list of drivers etc., although they where not for my system.

So, now updates are only shown when applicable for my system and installed software?

I use no other method to check for updates, but since recently, I have a PC with Ubuntu and getting a bit familiar with the terminal, witch I could also use to access the OMV box command line.

My OMV server :
    OMV version 4.31-1
    Kernel 4.19.0-0.bpo.6-amd64

Problem:
    In the OMV GUI the list Package Information in Update Management is empty. See attached picture.

Check for updates is working, no errors.
    OMV can connect with internet.

Tried to solve the problem by:
    - empty browser cache
    - disable cookie filter and add blocker in browser
    - reset OMV GUI to defaults
    - restart OMV box.

Problem still not solved.
    Before this happened, I was experimenting with the omv dnsmasq plug-in but I have switched it off and uninstalled it. Still no result.

Any idea how to fix this?

Files

• omv_screen.jpg

(74.73 kB, downloaded 55 times, last: )

when I set up an rsync job in OMV GUI with extra option --time-limit I get an error message in the email notification like this:

Code
    rsync: on remote machine: --time-limit=238: unknown option
    rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at main.c(1551) [server=3.0.9]
    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
    rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(235) [sender=3.1.2]

When I run an rsync job locally on my Ubuntu PC with this option it's no problem. Rsync versions on PC and OMV box are the same > 3.1.2

The cron job on OMV seems to be OK:

Code
    rsync --verbose --log-file="/var/log/rsync.log" --rsh "ssh -p 22 -i '/etc/ssh/openmediavault-2d26a655-541b-4817-bee8-16a07f5f491d'" --recursive --times --archive --delete --perms --time-limit=238 '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-RAIDVOLUME/Backup/ANTEC4100/' 'username@rsync.hidrive.strato.com:/users/username/UBUNTU' & wait $!

Is this because a local rsync job behaves different from an rsync job to a remote server?

With your help , I managed to log on in root. Yesterday night I have tried to set up the network via omv-firstaid, but could not get it going.
    Because I have 2 network connections on my NAS I was not sure which one I was configuring, so I have now tried with both connected to my router and after reboot of the NAS I had a connection, even without using omv-firstaid.

So, I'm up and running again :D

I've done a clean install of OMV (version 4.1.22-1) on a wiped unformatted sata M.2 SSD without any error messages, but in the end I have 2 problems.
    Previously, I have had OMV 3.99 running without problems.

During installation I have left the root password to default (openmediavault)
    I have created a user account 'willem'
    After installation and first boot I get the message "no network interface(s) available".
    However, during the installation was a connection for updating Debian available.
    I've tried ipt addr and I got a message I don't understand.

2nd problem is I can't log on as root with the default username and password.

omv_1.jpgomv_2.jpg

What am I to do to fix it?
    The network device is not broken, because I have run a trail version of Ubuntu 18.04 from USB stick without changing the hardware setup and I get internet access.

Is there any neccesity to upgrade from 3.0.99 to 4.x.x, for instance security reasons?
    My NAS is running fine for what I do with it: sharing files with Windows PC, Mede8er mediaplayer and Mac Tablet, use of miniDLNA and backup to cloudservice with RSync.
    So, for functionality I see no reason to upgrade.

Services running are:
    Apple Filing
    Downloader (X)
    FTP (X)
    MiniDLNA
    UPS
    SMB/CIFS
    Sensors (X)

(X) means can do without

Thank you, ryecoaaron.

I have changed the * into 0 and now the job runs only once at 1 o'clock.

But still, I think the scheduling method a bit confusing, because it suggest that running every minute is set by the switch on the right. Anyway, my problem is solved.

The backup plugin's backup is reliable. It is just difficult to restore for people new to linux. I recommend using clonezilla if this post doesn't make sense.

I saw that post, but it was very old and long, so I omitted it. It's hard for me to filter out the method in the thread, required to restore the backup, made by the plugin. I'm not a complete noob, but a step by step manual would be appreciated. I will look into Clonezilla.

However, I still find the explanation in the OMV plugin a bit misleading or at least incomplete. Why offer a backup method, when one can't use a similar easy restore. A warning would be in place.

omv-firstaid cannot recover the system from the backup plugin's backup.

Then what does omv-firstaid recover do?

Today I had a problem with installing ddclient plugin as mentioned in this thread
    Before installing it, I had made a backup with the OMV backup plugin for system recoveries in a volume on a separate hard disk (no part of the RAID volume).
    But when I tried to recover the system with omv-firstaid it said there was no backup found.

Where should I save the system backup to be able to recover the system with omv-firstaid.
    Or is there a more reliable method to back up the system?

I would imagine that would work fine.

No, it did not work fine.

I've tried it, but got errors:

After that OMV was messed up. Uninstalling the package in OMV was not possible. Luckily I was able to uninstall manually in the console mode.

It's solved.

Your message forced me to think again. Something else did change between night test and this morning. I am in the process of changing providers. And the modem of the old provider was still in a secondary network connected with the NAS, but the service of the old provider has stopped just this night. Apparently, the NAS got the DNS from the old modem. I have removed the old modem and switched on DHCP in the NAS primary network connection.

Hello,

last night I finally succeeded to successfully run a testjob with rsync and also the scheduled job did run in the night.

This morning I tried it again and got this message:

Code
    ssh: Could not resolve hostname rsync.hidrive.strato.com: Name or service not known
    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
    rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(226) [sender=3.1.1]

Nothing has been changed in between, except a scheduled FTP job from my PC with WinSCP. I find it hard to believe that it would influence rsync.

I can log in my hidrive account in the webbrowser, so nothing wrong there.

How is it possible that rsync runs properly and a few hours later it does not?

Thanks for the reply, but I could not find anything wrong.

However, I came upon another problem. The files were not copied to the remote server but were copied to the system disk. I solved this and it seems that the connection to the remote server is established but now I get this error:

Code
    Please wait, syncing </srv/dev-disk-by-label-Volume1/Test/> to <00********@rsync.hidrive.strato.com:/users/********/rSyncTest> ...
    rsync: Failed to exec /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Volume1/Test/: Permission denied (13)
    rsync error: error in IPC code (code 14) at pipe.c(85) [Receiver=3.1.1]
    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [Receiver]
    rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(226) [Receiver=3.1.1]

EDIT: Finally solved these problems and got rsync running, but came upon a new issue for which I shall open a new thread.

Hello,

This is the message after running a manual rSync job with OMV-plugin rSync:

Please wait, syncing </srv/dev-disk-by-label-Volume1/Test/> to <*******@rsync.hidrive.strato.com/rSyncTest/> ...

sending incremental file list

sent 36,995 bytes received 61 bytes 74,112.00 bytes/sec
    total size is 859,680,481 speedup is 23,199.49

This is the email message I received after the same scheduled rSync job has been executed by OMV

Please wait, syncing </srv/dev-disk-by-label-Volume1/Test/> to <*******@rsync.hidrive.strato.com/rSyncTest/> ...

sending incremental file list
    rsync: mkdir "/root/********@rsync.hidrive.strato.com/rSyncTest" failed: No such file or directory (2)
    rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at main.c(674) [Receiver=3.1.1]

As there has been no changes in de source folder, there where no uploads. But that's not the issue here.

Where can I find the file which contains the scheduled jobs, so I can check for errors?