Beiträge von bbddpp

Right on thanks. I'm actually seeing that same message for every new disk I add now regardless, so it's either a bug or something else is going on with my config where it throws that warning about the partition table for every new disk. Maybe it's a mergerfs or snapraid thing who knows. That said the disks format and mount fine so I'll just ignore it and hope for the best.

I don't have an answer for you but I came here because I'm seeing the same error in OMV6, never saw this before. I'm adding an 18TB Seagate drive today (recertified, maybe that's the problem) and it's throwing a similar error.

Not sure if this drive is just so big it's throwing off the server or if it was formatted in a weird way but you'd think the wipe and file system creation would fix it (it's not).

This is going to be my snapraid parity drive so seeing the error message is a bit weird for sure, I get where your head is at. If you figure out what it means before I do please share.

Way ahead of you. Building a new OMV6 box as we speak. Just needed to steal its hardware and keep OMV4 running a little longer.

OMV6 is so awesome. I'm setting up my first MergeFS and SnapRAID on the new box tonight and starting to move the OMV4 server's media over.

Thanks for all you do.

BTW, I did need to run the grub-install step to get that USB key to work. Worked great after that and allowed me to steal the SSD out for OMV6 box!

Did a little more research and found this newer thread.

[How-To] Restore OMV system backup made with openmediavault-backup plugin - Guides - openmediavault

Doesn't look like I'm using UEFI which would have been an easy fix, but I also get the feeling that grub isn't being installed after I restore.

After running the DD to restore the partitions to my new drive, I still only see one partition sdX1 though it looks like my current boot SSD also has just one so maybe that's right, and I just need to find a way to force a grub install onto the new USB stick in order for the system to boot after restoring to the USB stick. I'll share any findings here unless anyone has been through this before and knows the fix. It certainly does look like grub may not be there hence my boot issue.

Did a lot of reading and followed the excellent post thread / guide here:

How to restore OMV 4.X from backup-plugin to system SSD - General - openmediavault

All went well and the fsarchive successfully restored my OMV4 image from 64 GB SSD to a newly installed 256 GB USB Key.

Even did the extra dd step for the grubparts file to make sure the SSD grubparts was placed onto the new USB key.

I just get the dreaded flashing cursor on reboot, after removing the SSD, and selecting the new USB key as the OMV4 boot drive.

There has to be an extra step I am missing as far as this situation, where I want to fully remove the old boot hardware device and replace with a new.

@ryecoaaron  bvrulez any thoughts?

I actually agree with this. Just doing this for the first time tonight and OMV is noticeably slower on my 32GB USB stick vs. the SSD it used to run on. Everything is considerably slower in the interface as far as making changes to settings and moving around vs. when I ran it on the SSD. I will qualify I didn't install the flashmemory plugin yet.

When you replicate the USB stick are you doing it to another stick or just a backup file somewhere that's easy to restore in case of emergency? The other concern I guess I have is the stick itself taking a dump though from what I understand OMV is not very hard on drives when running as a standalone boot OS and the stick should last as long as I need it to.

I'm with you man. Ports are precious! My new 4U has 24 bays on the backplane and I still would rather use the internal SATA ports on the mobo for as many drives as I can. Amazing how many you can fill as a hoarder. I think I'll take a cue from you and find a suitable USB flash drive for OMV6 and then use an SSD for my dockers and plex DB. That way the 3.5 dirves in the external bays are all about the media.

Appreciate the reply.

Setting up a new Supermicro 4U soon with OMV6 and just wondering what the recommendation is for drive structure for the operating system / boot drive and the application drive that everyone is using? I figure I'd try and save all the external bays for storage, and as a result can use maybe a USB stick for OMV6 and then a 1TB internal SSD drive for the "application data" drive, maybe to hold my plex database/thumbs (which gets quite large), download data, other application data for SAB and Transmission, etc. Curious what others have done and the recommendations are?

Option 1) OMV on USB stick, Data drive on internal SSD

Option 2) OMV and data drive both on same internal SSD

Option 3) OMV on internal SSD, data drive on a standard 3.5 HDD in a bay

Option 4) OMV on an internal USB, data drive on a standard 35 HDD in a bay

Maybe other permutations, just wondering if there are success or fail stories anyone would like to share. Appreciate it. Excited to finally get off OMV4, just wanted to get a new box before I did it.

I think you did a good job. Plus there are so many permutations of server out there and they all have their issues. I am using OpenMediaVault which is seems has some of its own quirks.

I'm having a few issues that maybe you can clue me in on. I'm new to the world of port forwarding and I have a weird double router situation going on but I am having some strange issues with my local IP when I try and access nextcloud.

All I am trying to really do is access it locally, without having to use my DuckDNS, and that seems to be failing for some reason after running these container scripts. I am sure this is user error.

I figured I'd go to https://LOCALIP:457 and see my NextCloud admin backend. I just see a "welcome to your swag instance" page. I believe that also happens when I go to https://DUCKDNSADDRESS:457. I can't seem to find ANY way to get back to the nextcloud admin backend (only the standard settings screen you see as an admin USER if that makes sense).

I also figured I'd go to http://LOCALIP:80 or just https://LOCALIP and browse my nextcloud locally. That also doesn't work. This must be a port forwarding issue here.

I'll share this link here for anyone who stumbles upon my issue. This info helped me fix my issue with large file sizes. I believe it has to do with timeouts set on nginx either on the letsencrypt side or the nextcloud side.

https://help.nextcloud.com/t/2…tsenrcypt-unraid/71375/10

What is not mentioned in many tutorials for newbs (like me) is that these are 3 separate apps here, and all 3 have their own cofig files buried deep in the docker appdata folders. So if you are having trouble, make sure you are in the right config file for the right docker. This one is (1) nextcloud (2) mariadb and (3) swag. Both nextcloud and swag have some manual config file work to do to speed it up and fix some other issues, and I may tweak some more but I've learned that getting into these files and making some changes can be very helpful.

I think we just need to make sure we are clear with which dockers' configs are changed, you did a pretty good job at that in your walkthrough, I have seen some areas that just say "modify the nginx proxy config" instead of being very clear what the file path and filename would be, etc, that kind of stuff is always helpful!

KM0201, thank you again!

I got it, thanks again for the post. I'm having a lot of other issues with Nextcloud regarding uploads and downloads of large files, but I am trying to work through all the manual config and issues that seem to need done here. I'm not really effectively seeing great logging yet so trying to turn all that on as well.

What happened with the docker-compose is just that it never quit at the end of the script, I just ended the ssh window and it was fine (instead of doing a CTRL-C which deleted all the containers).

All in all, things are up and running anyway. I just need to now figure out the speed issues and more importantly the manual config changes needed so that files larger than 1 GB that I am trying to share out via sharelinks don't fail at the recipient end. There must be a reason that's happening and a config change I am missing, even though I have added a lot of stuff from help guides on resolving such issues.

Thanks again for getting me this far, your post was the easiest and best to use I have seen to get all this running quickly.

Hey I got this ALMOST working by forwarding 80 and 443 back to the main router from the Verizon one. So, progress.

Only issue is the docker compose script huge RIGHT at the end after "Server ready" - everything looks to be running but the compose didn't end gracefully. Did I miss a step or a command on my compose up or compose.yml file?

This intrigues me for sure. Before I go that crazy. I set up IIS on port 80 on my desktop. Theoretically then if I forward 80 to 80 any on both the DMZ router (FIOS providing the WAN) and the real router (USG) and got port 80 open is that progress?

So far, I have been stuck forwarding a port from the USG into the FIOS router and getting that router to forward it out to the world sadly.

Thanks, wasn't ready to sleep so been cracking at it. Thanks for being honest. I had a feeling this was a problem since I was 99% sure I had the port forwarding set up right on my router.

I do have access to the other router, but putting the port forwards in there a second time (they were there on both routers then) didn't work unless there's a secret sauce. I needed to keep my Verizon FIOS router in for WAN signal only, I use my USG to manage my network. So I was doing the port forwards on the USG but they were likely getting stuffed at the FIOS router on the way out.

If you know a config I can make to make the forwarding make it up all the way that would be great. The only thing the Verizon router was doing so far was acting as a passthrough for my WAN and the USG's static WAN I assigned was in its DMZ to allow that to work.

Thanks, figured it out. That was the easier part than the port forward it seems. The compose doesn't seem to be able to get out to see what it needs to see despite having my router set up. I will try again tomorrow. My router is behind a second router as a DMZ (long story, not double NAT tho) and I'm wondering if the port forwards aren't making it out through the DMZ.

I have to thank you all for this, I think this is the best thread on installing this I have seen. I have one request / issue though.

I am still on OMV4 (I know, I know, just too scared to upgrade in place and lose things).

Can the above stacks be translated into docker-compose commands that I can run on OMV4? I have a ton of other dockers running and stood up AdGuard this way with just a very long docker-compose and have to imagine this is possible since I don't have the magic that is OMV5 and portainer.

Thanks all, great thread.

OMV4, used another thread here to attempt to install Home Assistant with Supervisor (Hass.io) and it failed. Attempts to now remove the docker result in this error. Any help on how I can get this docker to go away?

Error #0:
    OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; docker rmi ab17f27e217b' with exit code '1': in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:182
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/docker.inc(282): OMV\System\Process->execute()
    #1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceDocker->deleteImage(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('deleteImage', Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Docker', 'deleteImage', Array, Array, 1)
    #5 {main}

John, were you able to preserve your dockers or anything else when you started over? I'm considering doing the same thing and just saying the heck with trying to upgrade in place. It sounds a bit problematic. Hopefully future OMV versions won't be so different that an upgrade in place works, but it sure looks like too many changes under the hood from 4 to 5 to make this one as joyful a task.

That said, I love how this software continues to grow and get better all the time! You guys rock.