Posts by bbddpp

Resurrecting a dead thread but hoping for help.

Have the headless running great in a docker, connecting to the we interface via 8080 I can see and interact with Kodi. So far so good.

Confirmed in kodi.log that advancedsettings.xml which I updated is connecting to MySQL but it's not showing me any movies or TV shows. I've tried 0.0.0.0, 192.168.1.xxx (my server's IP, which didn't seem to work) and 127.0.0.1 (which did the same as 0.0.0.0, looked clean in log, but shows no media in the web interface).

What am I missing? Help?

I think I may have an easier way to ask this -- There is another file somewhere, other than fstab and config.xml, that is holding disk UUIDs. I need to know what other file(s) I need to check to find these old references to remove them.

I realize I created the problem by manually modifying these files to begin with, now I just want to fix it without having to start over. Any other config files that I might be able to check for these references would be appreciated.

Okay, I have spent enough time on this and give up. No RAID and due to swapping out some bad drives over the last year I have hacked manually into config.xml and fstab but carefully made changes. Everything looks good and I've looked at both files 10 times. Yet, there are a few entries showing up in /media after a reboot that should not be there. These UUIDs are not referenced anywhere in fstab or config.xml, so where is openmediavault generating these from? They are invalid and I want them gone, yet they come back even after a reboot. What other config files do I need to hack into and change to eradicate these things? Where to look?

This is great, thanks so much for the advice. Working well so far. I think one more question and I'm good.

For the plugins where I really don't want to start over with config, like Sonarr and Plex, where I have large libraries and data running, is it as simple as backing up all the files from the existing plugin's config folder, installing the plugin in a docker, starting the container once, shutting the container down, overwriting the new docker-set config folder for the application with all the files and backed up, and starting the docker container for the plugin up again?

Thanks for getting back to me so fast. Been reading up on docker. Think it's time I backup as many plugin settings as I can (like sonarr's), backup OMV, and do a full clean installation of OMV4 instead of an upgrade. I just run a bunch of separate drives in there and no RAID, so hopefully easy to set up OMV4 from scratch and get all my data back. Always scary though. OMV3 running smooth so I hate to touch it but I know it won't last forever.

Now that I see OMV3 is at end of life, I'd love to move to OMV4. However I run stuff like Sonarr, Radarr, NZBGet, Plex, every day and from what I am reading there is no hope of these working under OMV4 and in order to get them working I need to first master Docker and get that running in OMV4 then use it to install all these plugins.

No need for instruction, as I see there are many how-to threads popping up, but is that the only path vs. just trying to move to OMV4 and keep the existing plugins working as they are? My guess is that if I release-upgrade to OMV4 I'm going to break some or all of my plugins.

No worries, I appreciate all you have helped so far.

Are there any regular SMART tests I can have scheduled to run so I actually get notified of these errors? I'm a little confused on how the drives show green lights in SMART inside OMV but are throwing errors.

These drives are all relatively new, like a year or less old and have been running at good temps in this server. Is it possible that it's the cabling inside causing the CRC errors?

I certainly have read the pitfalls of using gutted desktop HDDs vs. network drives, but never thought it would be that severe to have drives dying in less than a year with little to no usage, just sitting there storing media.

THank you so much for this, this has been so helpful you have no idea. I re-ran the first command for all drives (I had run it just for the one drive that was giving me issues).

Let me know what you think.

This server is old and I bought it second hand of course and haven't changed any of the cabling guts inside at all. If you think investing in new backplane cables etc would make life easier I'm all for it (Just would have to figure out exactly what I need, since this sucker was plug and play and I never messed with the guts. But it would make total sense that the SATA cabling inside was causing my data errors, not the drives themselves failing (though I remain curious on the best settings for spindown, etc, for a media sever that is asleep most of the time).

New sprunge, all drives!

http://sprunge.us/GOeE

I've been running my grounds-up built Dell C2100 rack server since November and while drives have run cooler than ever and have shown nothing but green lights on the SMART screen, I am on what looks like either the second or maybe even the 3rd drive starting to fail out of the blue, looking for some help.

I do not run a RAID first of all, stubbornly, I like to get the maximum space out of a file system, and I run desktop drives in here. The server just is for serving media to my home and running some apps to search for media, the usual stuff. It's not getting hammered and lives in a cool basement. Drive temps run 26-29 C.

Anyway, here's what happened this time.

On a routine SSH session I realized that one of my mountpoints (a 3TB Toshiba drive) had gone "read only" which is a red flag to me that OMV found something wrong in its file system. SMART screen shows green dot next to the drive. I'm afraid to reboot OMV because the last time I did that, I wasn't able to ever re-mount the drive to get the media off. I tried an rsync command to backup the files off the bad drive to another empty drive and it froze. I'm trying a basic cp command now in the shell a few files at a time and still getting Input/Output errors on every file. I tried a short self-test on the device and got this:

Short INQUIRY response, skip product id
    A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.

What am I doing wrong here? Why are drives going read-only out of the blue? Am I missing something obvious the way I have things set up? Is there anything I can do to rescue this drive before I reboot OMV or unmount the drive and probably lose all my data on an entire volume AGAIN?

My drives are all set up as:

Advanced Power Management: 128 - Minimum power usage without standby (no spindown)
    Automatic Acoustic Management: Maximum performance, maximum acoustic output
    Spindown time: Disabled
    Write cache: off

I do not run routine SMART self-tests and maybe I should be doing that moving forward (anyone have any suggestions on what tests they run?). All that said, I don't get how drives are just failing in months inside of this thing, without any warning signs.

Anything else I can do here or am I basically just going to have to expect to lose a drive every few months out of nowhere because I'm not running RAID or using network-level drives?

Happy to provide any additional detail from logs, fstab, etc.

Thanks for anyone who can help with this frustration.

I think a couple plugin experts are lurking about, so I am hoping for some help for a problem I can't seem to resolve.

Plex Media Server's external visibility ("fully accessible outside your network") seems to randomly stop working, usually every few hours but sometimes shorter, sometimes longer. I've rebooted both the server and my router and am on the latest versions. The server itself is rock solid and never goes down and works perfectly when I am on my Wifi. It's only the external piece of forwarding out that seems to just randomly quit working all day long.

Going back into the plex interface and hitting the "apply" button on the server's remote access tab in settings will within seconds immediately restore external visibility with no changes to my settings or router settings. I do not specify a port manually or have 32400 forwarding in my router. It just works for a few hours, then, stops.

If there are any particular logs you can cite that I can refer to I'd be happy to send snippets or full logs, just don't want to go on a goose chase.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

Much thanks as always, and thanks for OMV which remains my favorite piece of software of all time because I love and use it daily.

flmaxey,

First and foremost thanks for the generosity of your reply and comments. I totally agree that I should have cloned a working booting OMV the moment I had it, even to another SSD drive I could connect in a pinch. Alas, nothing to show for here and it has to be something that happened on one of the many upgrades over the past few months that turned quotas on and made them matter to the point where something is out of whack.

Alas, I've tried removing all 8 hard drives, leaving only the boot SSD OMV device in there, and not had any luck. The "update-rc.d quota disable" command still throws the same 2 warnings when I run it even when booting with just the OMV volume, and OMV itself doesn't show any interest in booting into the full system even on a drive by itself.

I think I need a different way to turn quotas off other than the "update-rc.d quota disable" command, or a way to make that command work and take, so that the quota service absolutely does not run.

Sidenote: OMV spends 1 minute and 30 seconds searching for all the drives before it proceeds when I unplug them, or when they are plugged in, the same amount of time trying to start the quota service on them. It's weird.

Anyway, hopeful for a miracle cure here, it's so frustrating to not be able to run my server. I guess the nuclear option will be a fresh install and to start totally over which scares me to death. There has to be a way to turn quotas off via config change in the XML or something here without this command, or a way to force this command without it throwing the warnings and not taking hold.

If anyone has any leads I'd sure appreciate.

Tried a few more things. I removed the volume it was freezing on at boot and then it just picked 2 more volumes to do the same thing with, so it is definitely the quota script running against the first volume it finds with the "quota issue" I suppose, I had about 4 or 5 volumes in the "red" since I had them practically full.

I found this command and tried it:

"update-rc.d quota disable"

But it doesn't work, it instead throws 2 warning messages from insserv which report that runlevels of script quota are not matching defaults. Doesn't turn quotas off.

Something in one of these recent updates (again, haven't rebooted in a few months to track down when) is certainly not playing well with my single drives that are near capacity in this thing.

I also found this thread:

OMV hangs on boot

Very similar issues to me, but the command did throw the screenshot of the warnings that appears on page two, but did not indeed turn off any quotas.

Any other way I can force this quota thing off and out of my life would be appreciated.

I did see a post saying to remove every drive except the boot drive, boot into the system, run the command, then remount all drives, which I suppose I can try next?

This is crazy! What caused this?

First reboot in close to 90 days, been on OMV3.0 for a while and keeping up with patches. Plex server wasn't running right so figured I'd cold boot the server.

For the record, I just run this with a bunch of drives inside with media, my server supports RAID but I don't use it. Just a bunch of separate ext4 volumes inside. No pooling.

During the boot, the system stalls while a certain device seems to be trying to initiatilze. I believe this is one of the hard drives. It waits a minute and 30 seconds before giving up. All drives show up as clean. I believe I know which device though it is just giving a disk ID but not a volume name. I removed that device and rebooted and got same result.

The command that the shell told me to run from console mode when quota mode didn't start was "status quotaon.service". I ran that and got (skipping some basic stuff since I am manually keying this):

Loaded: loaded
    Active: failed, (Result: exit-code)
    Process: 1679 ExecStart=/sbin/quotaon -aug (code: exited, status=10)

It then claims it cannot find aquota.user or aquota.group on several of my volumes. I will say that I do not want to track quotas and max these volumes out and I have a feeling the fact that my disks are near full (they showed red in device manager when you looked at them during a working boot)...this may be the problem.

Unit quotaon.service entered failed state

Please let me know if I can provide logs or anything else (just need to figure out HOW to get a boot log off a system that won't boot and onto something I can transfer it online for). I assume the quotas are the key here and telling the config how to ignore them?

Any advice would be most appreciated!

I have so many boxes around my house that use the same SQL database. Fire TVs, Raspberry Pi, HTPC, Nvidia Shield...I always felt NFS made sense because it used to be fastest (maybe SMB beats it now I dunno)...But NFS was universal and worked everywhere and SMB used to not work on all boxes.

Maybe that has changed since the last time I set this all up.