Posts by drinks2go

Hi... can you post your /etc/network/interfaces? Sometimes its as simple as having not added the gateway and dns-nameservers options to the stanza in that file.

I was just doing this the other day after setting up pihole w/ dhcp server.

If you run ip addr show what is the output?? Do you recognize the IP? If not something part of your network config is borked

Hi, you must update your DNS records with your DNS provider to point subdomain.domain.com to your dynamic/static public IP.

Without this DNS info updated, no computer knows how to find the IP of your webserver.

You'll have to reformat your nginx conf files for me to look at them... sorry.

Ok so I have been looking into this a little more. I will try cracking open some of the files in the webui and see what I can see, maybe do a little unit testing or something.

I am going to grab iotop and see if it's not something showing up there, but the FPM logfile is (basically) empty.

Just trying to grasp what's happening, looking at htop last night I noticed one openmediavault-webui FPM child consuming 92% of the CPU for a split second, so I'm beginning to suspect there's something funky with the "top" output that's displayed in a few places in the webui. Specifically maybe some bit of code that's been written inefficiently, but not causing problems on sufficiently powerful machines (this being a 1.46ghz single core proc no hyperthreading)

I changed nginx worker processes from 4 to 1 to reflect the number of cores available on my box, this seems to have made things a bit more stable (ie. I have to refresh the dashboard or sysinfo page a few times before it will begin to load down, instead of on the first try). I also note that since making this change the load has not risen above 2.20 whereas prior I had seen it run as high as 3.5 with 0 active nfs/smb/ssh connections. (Those are really the only services running on the box besides the OMV system itself, monit etc)

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated! I will post my findings. I dunno if the dev for the UI is around here very often.

UPDATE: iotop shows nothing, which really isn't much surprise. Tommorow afternoon I will have a look at some PHP :)

I'm a little frustrated because my assumption is that the webui is quite lightweight. Unless there is a silly loop or something in the PHP, I really don't see what could be causing this issue.

Sorry, maybe it wasn't clear. You can and probably should increase the max children if you are seeing that message in the logs. You probably have some idea how much RAM your system uses on average, subtract that from the total and as per the linked blog above ps -ylC php-fpm --sort:rss when you are seeing that message in the logs.

Then take your adjusted total RAM (Total subtract average system use) in MB and divide it by the average RSS value of the output from above command. This yields a number you could enter into max_children. You can and should use a conservative value for your adjusted total RAM, because you don't want to end up making the box swap.

Another, possibly simpler method, is to just incrementally increase the max children until you stop seeing that message in your logs.

Your choice. If I set up a web server, say, I try to think, I will dedicate X RAM to the underlying OS, X RAM for mariadb or whatever datastore, X RAM for PHP, X RAM for varnish caching, X RAM for nginx and so on. So the first method will give you a somewhat better idea of how your box *should* generally run, the second is probably going to be ok for personal use too.

Actually the post does state a pretty clear method for determining exactly what you'll require.

In general you could probably allow quite a high number of fpm servers to be spawned, as long as they are reaped quickly enough to keep up with the number of users on the system and the aren't any major issues in the code (php i mean) it shouldn't cause issues on your box. Very conservative fpm pool conf (maybe even the default) can handle a very large number of concurrent requests under nginx. I'm talking 500+/s which you wouldn't be hitting in even a small business environment.

Oh I guess I should note that the box doesn't become unusable by any means, I can pull up an ssh session and do what I like, even the webui responds fine, might be a few hundred ms slower but it's not *really* an issue per se- just making the jump from an rpi to this particular box, I wouldn't expect these kind of problems on the NUC where there were none on the rpi- granted the rpi has 3 more cores. I will install htop and have a look around to see whats going on next time it becomes loaded down.

Another very odd observation is that it's not always the case that visiting "system information" loads the box down. Sometimes I can have that page up for a few hours without issue, other times I pull it up and the load climbs immediately to 2+ which as I say I don't believe to be great for a single core machine.

Will report back in a few hours, hopefully. Thanks for the response @The Master

Any ideas here? Switching to a new/better USB doesn't seem to have helped, I'm not sure going from MLC to SLC is going to have any effect.

After updating from 0.82 to 0.83 I notice I can view the dashboard without incurring load, but the box becomes quite loaded down viewing the "top" output on the main "system information" page. I really don't think the box is so underpowered as to cripple under the webgui..

Can you just apt-get remove nginx* and reinstall it? Or did you try that already? Nginx is listed by your dpkg query as just U - unpacked not installed and nginx-full looks to be F or half configured. I suspect you need to dpkg --configure the nginx and dpkg-reconfigure the nginx-full...

Okie dokie, so I have been running omv 3.0.82 with 4.9.0 bpo3 kernel (I installed straight from omv iso) for a few days on my older NUC de3815tykhe (that's an intel atom e3815 single core 1.46ghz proc). 4GB RAM, 16GB USB3.0 thumb drive, & seagate sshd 1tb in the available sata 3gbps port

I am running the flash memory plugin and omv-extras, nothing else. NFS/SMB/SSH are enabled. I am the sole user. The load only seems to occur when I am viewing either dashboard or system information main page.

Omv is installed on a slightly older thumbdrive (kingston 100g3) via usb3. Someone had suggested to me to try another drive, one is on the way but I just have a funny feeling I may be encountering this problems even with a better/newer thumb drive.

I tried lowering the number of fpm servers available in php5-fpm pools.d but it didn't seem to improve much. Also attempted to enable opcache but does not seem to have helped either. Reverted those changes.

Quote from rsyslogd

monit[1218]: 'openmediavault.local' loadavg(1min) of 2.5 matches resource limit [loadavg(1min)>2.0]

Any thoughts?

Also let me know if I left out any important information. Thanks!

is shellinabox seperate from omv webgui? I have not used this plugin

either way if you sudo vim /etc/nginx/sites-available/shellinabox

then you will need to fill in the relevant infos here.

for more info see
    https://www.digitalocean.com/c…ual-hosts-on-ubuntu-16-04
    https://www.nginx.com/resource…de/nginx-https-upstreams/

Best of luck :)

@Blabla Not really. I would also take most of this with a grain of salt.

For one, most of the mainstream usb drives I researched on the market (ie Kingston, Corsair, Transcend etc) seem to be using MLC. I have a few SSD which are also MLC.

If you want to monitor the health then you should look for an SSD which supports S.M.A.R.T. I think!

with regard to SLC usb keys, I found a pretty reliable source, I believe...

see here, it is the vtran line of SLC USB keys, he has a little explanation about the differences between keys. They ship from Hong Kong and ems is available.

Here is a quote about the types of memory...

• Today, manufactories are using 3 kinds of flash chip SLC, MLC and TLC to build USB drive and SSD drive.
    • SLC (single layer cell), each cell store only 1 bit data 0 and 1. using two voltage VL and VH for 0 and 1 . MLC (multiple layer cell), each cell store 2 bit of data, 00, 01, 10 and 11. Using 4 different voltage to represent 2 bit of data TLC (triple layer cell), each cell store 3 bit of data 000,001,010,011,100,101,110,111. Using 8 different voltage to represent 3 bit of data.
    • Compare the speed of three different Flash, the read speed is the similar. For MLC, the write speed is 1/2 of the read speed. For TLC, the write speed is 1/3 of read speed.
    • Some of the manufacture, using TLC for their product, but program part of the TLC in SLC mode, to improve the testing figure.
    • For the life time, SLC have 100,000PE (program erase cycle), MLC 3000-10000PE, TLC 500-1000PE.
    • Becasue of high density, the price of SLC Flash is expensive.

And I found this review on chiphell which makes me think they are pretty legit, you will have to use google translate but you can get the gist of what they are saying.

I think that you could configure this quite easily using nginx, it is also possible to pass your own ssl cert when writing a server block for reverse proxy, which would also alleviate your issue of having to access on a non-standard port. I don't know that these options are available in the nginx plugin for omv but certainly it would be trivial to do via terminal. Just make sure you setup fail2ban or similar.

Personally I wouldn't make these services available beyond my home network (specifically cli or omv web gui) but that's just me. Then again I have sickrage etc. exposed to the public interwebs, so who am I to talk :P