Beiträge von Wek

I think I got it, right now it runs at 3:30 am every day, at 3:00 am on Monday of every week and at 2:30 am every 1st day of the month right?!

The thing that I can't understand is how do I have to set it to have let's say at least 2 backups one at 6 in the morning and one at 6 in the evening of every day and retain them?

Moreover I don't understand if I leave it at the first config so :

Code
    # Create cron file
    # This is the cron file for openmediavault-rsnapshot.
    # The file /var/lib/openmediavault/cron.d/rsnapshot will mirror
    # the jobs that are configured in the plugin.
    # m h           dom mon dow user  command
    5 *         * * *           root    /var/lib/openmediavault/cron.d/rsnapshot hourly
    30 3        * * *           root    /var/lib/openmediavault/cron.d/rsnapshot daily
    0  3        * * 1           root    /var/lib/openmediavault/cron.d/rsnapshot weekly
    30 2        1 * *           root    /var/lib/openmediavault/cron.d/rsnapshot monthly
    00 2        1 1 *           root    /var/lib/openmediavault/cron.d/rsnapshot yearly

It doesn't make any sense to have Retain daily = 5 like it is now, because it will basically make snapshot once a day...so you'll end up with just 1 back day and not 6

I guess I'm totally misunderstanding how the plugin work right?

@ryecoaaron could you help me out understand it better?

• I'm using usb backup for the first time and having one issue, I tried to look in the forum for similar threads, but didn't find them.

The issue is the plugin didn't seem to eject the usb hard disk after the backup is done, as it should do from what I understood.
    Here is the message I've got as soon as I insert the usb hard disk wait and the unplug.

Code
    [ 1501.037635] sd 9:0:0:0: [sdd] No Caching mode page found
    [ 1501.037692] sd 9:0:0:0: [sdd] Assuming drive cache: write through
    [ 1545.734680] usb usb2-port4: cannot disable (err = -32)

I don't see the hard disk mounted in the webgui, but then why the error on line 3.?
    Also I would expect the hard drive's light to slowly blink as when the same disk is safe ejected on windows (cofirmation of hard disk ejected properly) but it never happens, it stays with a fixed light (like when the hard disk is doing nothing not reading\writing just stays plugged in waiting)

I don't know if depends on the kind of format anyway the external hard disks are formatted in fat32 (I need them to be plug and play in windows machine) and are usb 3.0.

Everything seems to work fine, the files are backed up fine, the only thing is this error msg on dmesg, does it mean it doesn't eject the hard disk properly or should I ignore them? I would like not to corrupt the disks saving backups

• Also I have a question about Rsnapshot plugin, I installed and configured it, but it seems it works only if I select the job created and click on Run on the webgui, I was expecting it to work on its own, do I need to create a systemd service or a cron\anacron job to autostart automatically daily?

in /etc/cron.d is present the seguent openmediavault-rsnapshot:

Code
    # Create cron file
    # This is the cron file for openmediavault-rsnapshot.
    # The file /var/lib/openmediavault/cron.d/rsnapshot will mirror
    # the jobs that are configured in the plugin.
    # m h           dom mon dow user  command
    5 *         * * *           root    /var/lib/openmediavault/cron.d/rsnapshot hourly
    30 3        * * *           root    /var/lib/openmediavault/cron.d/rsnapshot daily
    0  3        * * 1           root    /var/lib/openmediavault/cron.d/rsnapshot weekly
    30 2        1 * *           root    /var/lib/openmediavault/cron.d/rsnapshot monthly
    00 2        1 1 *           root    /var/lib/openmediavault/cron.d/rsnapshot yearly

If not I misunderstanding, I would expect the snapshot run every 5 min hourly or every 30 min daily, but it doesn't seems so.

and here is my rsnapshot plugin config:

Code
    Retain hourly = 0
    Retain daily = 5
    Retain weekly = 4
    Retain monthly = 3
    Retain yearly = 0
    Rsync tries = 1

Am I missing something here?

Actually is even better I found one so I went ahead and configured it, I'm testing it right now, it has an internal sata port as well so I connected the ssd on the internal one (the one that you should use for the dvd) so I have 4 bays to play with data nice!!
    more than enough for the SOHO.

Your suggestion about usbs are good I will try to play them with my server at home, unfortunately I need to deploy this in a SOHO outside my town, so the manual switching thing is a no go, for this project.
    Indeed I will try on my play\test server :)

Goodnight\day everybody people!!

@Zoki , yep already did know about that and fixed, I was talking about the line 35. Invalid RPC response, I don't think is related to the python issue

@ryecoaaron I looked at syslog no warning\error messages if not the ones about watchdog retry timeout and kfd error getting iommu (but those are connected to my hp proliant microserver gen10 and I can't fix them) so far so good! no rpc response message since I reset the monitor switch under monitoring tab...so it seems everything is working like a charm now :)

I'm glad to be part of this community this is a great software congrats guys!

Yep I saw that was solved, I just wanted to advise you, that upgrading omv2 -> omv3 through ssh is not a really good advise, but if you are experienced with arch you probably are aswell on the breaking\fixing thing of side good luck then :D

If it wasn't for the "plug and play Windows" requirement I'd advise against NTFS drives for backup. NTFS write support via fuse is heavily CPU dependent. So I suspect the backups will be quite slow, USB3 or not.I'd recommend FAT32, but that limits the file (and disk) size too much.
    If you do not expect files above 4GiB, you may format partitions above 32GB with FAT32 under Linux, windows reads those fine too - it just does not create them. YMMV.

Yep unfortunately was a request to have it windows ready, but I guess I can't use fat32, they work on big files 3d and such, (I have to ask though) so I guess the NTFS is the only viable solution, exfat is excluded because no "journaling", also I guess is the same problem with ntfs on speed, in the end if the only problem will be slowness I guess they have to wait :D to have everything, but I will double check the 4 gig limit with them..

I just thought go directly with ntfs because I didn't want to have any trouble with them saying, oh I have this one file but now the backup doesn't work :°D, especially because they are not really tech savy and I will not have to much time to fix every single mistake they make.
    (I'm not an IT guy by profession :D I do this for free to help them out..I just couldn't stand what another "professional IT guy\company" did manage to give them for almost 3 time the price of this unit..was a piece of junk falling apart...literally..so I just offered to build a more clear and solid solution for them with this unit and the great omv on top of it for free, so..I guess if the drawback is a bit of slowness in the portable backup they can handle it...especially in confront of the piece of junk it will substitute)

@ryecoaaron I will look into it as soon as I'll be home again, and I'll post my findings if I cannot trace back the error I will post my syslog thanks a lot!

Zitat von qwertz123

They sell NAS with a quarter of the RAM and half the CPU power for double the user count, so I'm not worried
    Just remember to a) backup on external drives too in case something goes horribly wrong and b) use the CIFS/SMB trashcan option, otherwise you'll go crazy restoring the users "oopsies" from backups/snapshots. In my experience it pays if the user is able to help him or herself, even if there's an IT-ish guy around.

Thanks about the trashcan double check!! :°D I had already bad experience with people not knowing how to use a server unfortunately :°D so it's the first thing I set :°D, so I guess we share the same pain :D
    and already set backup plugin with 2 external usb 3.0 hard drive formatted in ntfs that point to the rsnapshot hard disk so they will aslo get a portable backup with incrementals directly on ntfs partition that can plug and play on their windows machine and recover also something that they f*cked up in the trashcan aswell :D.

So I guess if now they will still fuck up they deserve a medal of honor :D (I hope not)

Indeed really thanks @qwertz123 for all your inputs were really useful!

Now what remain to do is fix those last omv4 errors weakref.py and invalid rpc response warning and I'm good to deploy this little buddy :)

I started to play around with omv4, installed debian stretch and added omv4 repo everything went smooth.

But today I've got this error after installing some packages (teamviewer host and others)

the weakref.py I guess is the same others reported and fixed I'll look into it, but what about the invalid rpc response?

Also I noticed that the omv4 extras-org deb package from http://omv-extras.org/joomla/index.php/guides is wrong.
    If you download from the link, it serves you the omv3 one, you have to manually put 4 at the end of omv-extras.org/openmediavault-omvextrasorg_latest_all3.deb -> openmediavault-omvextrasorg_latest_all4.deb

• New update now with stretch+backports kernel+firmware-nonfree it's a bit better.
    • If you want to know DP works like vga (I had a dp cable around so I tested it)
    • I also blacklisted sp5100_tco to get rid of that nasty already in use error (I think doesn't create any problem to the system, despite I would have preferred some more clean solution to it)
    • Also the ACPI bios bug disappeared after blacklisting sp5100_tco (I don't know why or if it's related seems odd)

Now my dmesg error level is considerably lower:

Code
    [    2.253391] BERT: Can't request iomem region <00000000dd91c018-00000000dd91c02b>.
    [    5.215462] kfd kfd: error getting iommu info. is the iommu enabled?
    [    5.215527] kfd kfd: Error initializing iommuv2 for device (1002:9874)
    [    5.215758] kfd kfd: device (1002:9874) NOT added due to errors

I found this article about kfd error https://community.amd.com/thread/170292 but the fix didn't worked out for me unfortunately.

At the beginning I had also a warning about usb power management, but after a couple of reboot just disappeared ?(

it remains just the annoying kfd iommu info, why does it try to load it if it's disabled on the bios is beyond me, I will try to look at the fix you mentioned of iommu
    but at least I think it's just cosmetic, so we are good!

Indeed you were really helpful @qwertz123 thanks a lot!

It is a good looking machine for the price point and consumption, I've another around, I'm considering to use it in a small office with 5\6 users to use samba\share where they work coupled with 2 data disks+ 2
    disk with rsnapshot to have backup of the data disks (I'm not really a raid guy, I prefere snasphots so you can go back in time) plus teamviewer host to let them turn on their pc and work from home if needed.

I hope the amd apu can handle it, it shouldn't be too much difficult for it, indeed 5 users are not too much, so I hope will handle everything.

Interesting choice with your upgrades plan, especially about the ram upgrade are you planning use zfs or just to have as much power as you could?
    I love the components for the price, especially the ecc support, leaving open road to future zfs upgrade aswell.

Zitat von qwertz123

I used the minimal/network iso and the graphical expert install, since I wanted only the minimal system. Afterwards just added the OMV repository to sources.list and installed the packages according to the wiki.

I did the same but I could only find one for kralizec in the official wiki
    Anyway I think not much is changed so I went ahead and went with:

Code
    echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public arrakis main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    apt-get install --allow-unauthenticated openmediavault-keyring
    apt update
    apt install  postfix
    apt install openmediavault
    omv-initsystem

It looks that everything is ok, but I don't know if I need other packages for arrakis, I hope not.

Really helpful @flmaxey one thing I understood...prices in the states are crazy cheap :°D, unfortunately I'm from europe and I cannot find any of that prices :°D, but I've got your suggestion I will look into it.

The only reason I went for a m2 ssd, is because I don't want to occupy a sata port for the os, and I read lot of threads here that discourage to use usbs as system disk, I guess for reading\writing process wearing the usb fast as hell, moreover I have laying around some m2 ssd that I don't have use for, so that would be no problem.

I dig alot that dell server you linked it's awesome I hope to find something similar here in my country

That's really helpful info, thanks @qwertz123 , I will try today to achieve the same result.
    Yesterday I tried to install stretch just with utilities and ssh server (to access through ssh after installation and download the backport kernel) but didn't success, I unfortunately forgot that debian disable ssh access for root as default and I didn't created another user at installation time..so I will try again this morning.

About the kernel, to be honest, I'm not really comfortable to install ubuntu's kernel in it, especially because I want to install omv on it and I want as less problem I could have for future upgrades (that's useful anyway for reference so thanks to have mentioned it)..but you said it will work with debian stretch backport kernel too 4.12 am I right or did I misunderstood you?!

If that the case I'm all set, I don't really need IOMMU anyway because I'm no planning any vm on it, so I don't really care if it doesn't work for my needs.

Thank you a million to have taken time and explained me my dmesg message was really helpful pal!! really really appreciate that!

At last about the firmware, I already tied the product to my id and registered the serial (that went through), but still can't download it -.-, I will contact them and see what's going on.
    It will be my first time to contact support just for download from a link :D (I guess there is one time for everything).

What about performance how did you find yourself with it? and what are your use for this microserver (I have the same model as yours by the way)

Did you upgrade omv2 -> omv3 through the terminal?
    If yes, despite the fact now seems everything ok, I would suggest you to start from scratch, and just install omv3 from fresh install not upgrade.

The reason for that, is debian (the distro under the hood for omv) changed to systemd, that's a huge change for the distro and I found out that at the beginning everything seemed fine, after a couple of weeks, I was encountering a lot of issues, so my suggestion for you, would be just go ahead and install omv3 from scratch instead and you will have no problems.

@qwertz123 first of all thanks for sharing your experience, I was considering to throw away the unit :°D.

But I'm definitely love the same points you mentioned in your post, so I hope to have it work good indeed.

I will try to install stretch and see if with the backport kernel will solve the nasty problem of haning login prompt at startup as you said (indeed it's only "cosmetic" as the server startup anyway and I can access through ssh and webgui as you said), indeed is what I'm experiencing right now that want me to throw the unit out of the window.

Funny thing is with basic debian jessie with stock kernel (no backports) it works well, out of the box, the problem of the sp5100_tco (that I blacklisted to solve) and the hanging at boot screen happens only if I use the backport from jessie or the stock kernel on stretch, so maybe is a bug they fixed with the new kernels, so I'm going to try your way stretch+backport kernel.

From your post I didn't understood one thing though, if you go stretch+backport kernel+non-free-firmware+omv4 on top of it will get you the fix of complete boot with vga attached to the server? I mean can you finally get it until the login prompt with a monitor atteched to the server doing this?
    otherwise is just the same I've got with the situation right now (I'm trying to fix the prompt stuck before asking for login on boot)

Lastly about the settings I didn't know how I missed them, now I found them thanks,...about the registration to download bios firmware is beyond stupid o.O..I created the account registered my server all is good, but still can't download the firmware it asks also to connect your account with some non more specific certificate or contract (!?!?!?!?) but the page keeps refreshing itself no download...this is F*****G annoying an really stupid, so much that I would probably need to contact the support just for this stupid thing that's really....wasting time.

Anyway one last thing qwertz did you try to issue the command dmesg --level=err ?

I didn't notice any error in my omv logs, but when I issued that command I found all of this caos with it:

As you can see even a warning about the ssd where the os is installed screaming about corruption...could you check it aswell and see if you get some nasty stuff too?

I have a quick question, I'm plagging to move my actual omv onto another system.

I was wondering instead of reinstalling everything from scratch, can I directly move the SO ssd and the data disks to another rig even if the architecture is completly different from amd to intel, without the need to reinstall everything and just turn it on?
    Will this create any problem in the long run?

In other words when Omv gets installed, does it install with generic kernel drivers or is it tailored to the components it's installed on first time?

I would like to build a server\nas from scratch it doesn't need to be ultra powerful, actually I'm looking for the best bang for the buck, the server will be used mainly as backup server and nas to distribute files on a small office (5-6 employees)

I was thinking about going the ryzen 3 way quad core, really cheap, I like the new amd line also I would like to support them, but I read that it's supported only from kernel 4.10 up is it right? so I guess it's not feasible because omv3 installs with 3.9.0 kernel and the backported one is 4.9.0, so do I need to assume a ryzen build with omv3\omv4 could go terribly wrong? does anyone have some ryzen config right now working fine?

So with this out of the way, I assume, what would be a right choice for my needs to go with?

Considering that going intel new gen is also out of the way...so I guess I have to go back in time, but I don't know what intel\amd model (and complimentary mobo to go with) could be a great config for my needs and my wallet right now.

Any suggestion would be really helpful!!

Other goals I would achive:

• I would like to find a mobo that has more than 4 sata ports (or supports m2 ssd so I don't have to occupy a sata slot and leave them for all the data disks) I would like to have 4 or more sata ports for data disks
    • I would achieve the build with a small footprint so, anything on the range matx, even itx if it's possible (but I guess the second chance is a bit troublesome with my first point about sata numbers?!)
    • I would like a case with easy access to hard disks, without the need to disassemble the whole pc, just to change data hard disks, with hot swap could be awesome, I didn't find many of those to be honest, especially at a reasonable price

I had lot of issues trying to install omv3 on my HPE proliant microserver gen10.

After dozen of tries the only method that worked to have omv3 installed
    on the ssd on the internal sata was to make a debian jessie bootable usb
    and once installed the base system add the omv3 repo by hand and
    install omv3 on it..

Now..to be honest I'm not very happy with this microserver so far, so I
    hope the experience from now on will be better, or i'll think about to
    get a refund for this server unfortunately.

Anyway I have two major issues right now I hope that @Spy Alelo or someone else that had same issues can help me out.

• I'm getting this issue on boot: sp5100_tco: I\O address 0x0cd6 already in use, it only happens with omv3 backported kernel 4.9.0 (doesn't seem to happen with 3.9.0 kernel)
    • I noticed there is a bios firmare upgrade for gen10 on the hpe site, but unfortunately download something simple like a firmware bios seems to require some sort of magic first the site asked for register after that doesn't let you still download it, seems like you have to pay for some sort of license for it?!? (if it's not is not really clear how to get those). So what is the right way to update the firmware on the microserver
    • I looked at the uefi\bios settings doesn't seem to be present a function to power on on power failure, nor a wake on alarm setting..I tried anyway to plug off the cord from the server and "make" a power failure and then plug back in, it seems it auto start up again, so I guess this function is autoimplemented even if there is no setting in the bios am I right?
    • Also what about ACHI support setting in the bios for the ssd instead of RAID (that I don't use anyway) in the bios? I don't see it either