Posts by Blebbens

Hello,

at the moment my HP Proliant is running OMV 4.1.

S.M.A.R.T. told me one of my four HDDs is „broken“ - it is flagged red.

So, I ordered a new HDD for my RAID5.

Can someone tell me how to remove the bad HDD from RAID5 and insert the new one instead ?

I am asking to avoid mistakes...

Thanx in advance.

okay, I copied most of the backup files from USB to the new OMV-SSD...

First, copying was not possible due to permissions of the new SSD. My work around was to open the existing OMV SSD‘s folders by pressing the button „open as root“. But, the files from the root directory (not in a folder, not in /root/...) can not be copied due to missing permissions. Running linux mint, there is no option for opening the whole disk as root.

Could someone tell me how to open the whole disk as root running linux mint‘s files app?

okay, I am going to start Linux Mint live. Then I will connect the new omv-system-ssd, the old omv-system-hdd using external USB-cases and the USB backup stick to my computer.

Now I need to know how to login as root on a running live linux for copying it using the file explorer/manager.
    I never needed to login to this live mint.

And, all files or some special files?

Sure... here are the files:

IMG_0876.jpg
    The last time I tried to copy files from the backup stick, it failed because of missing privileges...

Which files do I have to copy from the backup stick to the new OMV-system-SSD and how do I do this with - in this case - linux mint live ?

Okay, there are a lot of files/folders on the USB-backup stick. I think, it is a differential backup. So there are a lot of the same files with different time/date stamps.

Could me tell me, which files to copy to which folder, which to overwrite, please ?

I took a look at the USB stick containing a backup created by a OMV-plugin.
    The whole system disk was backupped to this stick, I think.

Now I am looking for a way to restore this.

OMV-firstaid offers the option to restore configuration data. But, it tells me it can not find any data to restore.
    Where do I have to copy this data to or how can I tell OMV to search this data on stick?

Hello,

OMV 4 is running on a HP microserver gen8 since a long time without any problems.. Since this month I had a lot of trouble with this combination.

I tried setting up a new OMV 4 on a new SSD and tried using the old HDD OMV system.

Both versions are showing the same message at every booting of the system for minutes:
    „A start job is running for Raise network interfaces“

Before this, I was using NIC1 (eno1). But OMV was not able to find any ethernet interface. So I switched to eno2 using omv-firstaid. On eno2 the WebGui and network is coming up, but it takes a long time.

Are there any solutions?

Could you tell me what kind of data was backupped then, please?

And, I do not remember what users and shared folders to create. How is it possible to put back the existing RAID to work?

Hello,

After having a lot of troubles with long-years-running HP Microserver Proliant gen8 (OMV 4), I decided disconnect my RAID of 4 HDDs and freshly installed OMV4 to a brand new SSD (connected to ODD-SATA-Port).

Now, after having some troubles with and after the new OMV on SSD, it is running for 2 hours now.
    Before all of this I backupped the old system-hdd to a USB-stick using an OMV-plugin - I can not remember how it is called. I even do not know what kind of data the backup contains (config files, whole system). The backup plugin was installed using the OMV-official plugins or OMV-extras.

The (software-)RAID of 4 HDDs is a RAID5, I think (created so many years ago), full of important data.

Now I do not know how the restore the old settings (users, file system, RAID, file sharing (german translation)). At first I would search for the plugin, trying to restore the backup and later (after rebooting ?) I would re-connect the 4 RAID-HDDs.

What would be the right order ?

All I want is to setup the RAID for getting access to the shared folders without loosing data. And after all that I will add a schedule for backupping important data to an external USB-drive.

Thanks in advance...

Good idea... I try omv-fristaid...

The GEN8 has 3 ethernet ports. One is dedicated to iLO, 2 are for "the rest". I don´t know if there are 2 or 3 NICs inside.
    In iLO you can choose for iLO to work from eno1 or 2. Thought, it would be a kind of bridge to use eno1 or 2 in case the iLO port is broken.

At the moment I have connected eno1 AND 2 to network, iLO port is not connected.

In mode AHCI the ProLiant Microserver can not boot from the ODD SATA-port, where the system-SSD is connect to.
    So, it boots a bootloader from USB, which is pointing to the system-SSD. This worked for years until now.

I already installed OMV many times... "no ethernet available". There is nothing during installation I can do different.

Does the screenshot offer more informations about the interfaces ?

Lights are flashing/blinking...

Data drives (RAID) are not connected yet. Connected are: system-ssd, USB-stick (with bootloader for booting from ssd).

The NICs are built in. They worked before, they worked during new installation to ssd.

Hi there,

After having some troubles I installed a freshly OMV 4 to a brand new SSD.
    OMV 4 is running on a HP ProLiant MicroServer gen8.

During installation the installation manager was able to start the ethernet interfaces... via DHCP they got IPv4.

But, after starting OMV 4 from SSD, I always get the error that "no ethernet interfaces are available". Having this error for some days now after installation.
    Before having this trouble, OMV 4 was running on the same server without any problems.

Executed "ip link status" for getting more informations...

Hoping for a solution...
    IMG_0837.jpg

Hello,

After my actual OMV 4.x-installation was not able to find the ethernet interfaces of my HP Proliant Microserver gen8 anymore, I decided to install a freshly OMV 4 from USB to a new SSD-System-Disk.

Installation was no problem. The installation was able to find the ethernet interfaces.

But, at the end of booting the system-ssd, this error message occurs and the WebGUI does not start:
    IMG_0836 (2).jpg