Posts by DHGE

I had a hard time upgrading one system from OMV4 to 5.

I totally messed up the second machine with the attempt of an upgrade and did a clean install.

Part of the problems following ryecoaaron procedure in the thread 27909-omv-5-0-finally-out/&pageNo=2 was that when working as root the path is not amended for the system utilities.

su ...

/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games

I can cure that with

Code
    export PATH="/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:$PATH"

each time I want to work as root typing su and giving the password.

The first lines of root .bashrc read:

# This file is auto-generated by openmediavault (https://www.openmediavault.org)

# WARNING: Do not edit this file, your changes will get lost.

sudo su give me a suitable PATH.

/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

Is this a feature or a bug?

I expect to have the same behavior than in Debian where I have the correct path for root and can customize roots .bashrc

you might do a
    man cryptsetup
    once logged into your device via ssh

this is what I did yesterday with a new external USB drive:

this is how I mount them (not OMV but Manjaro) at boot via /etc/rc.local:

Bash
    # falls es ein /dev/sdc1 (hoffentlich eine verschlüsselte USB-Platte) gibt: einbinden
    if [ -e /dev/sdc1 ]; then
    cryptsetup luksOpen --key-file /etc/keys/nc6400.key /dev/sdc1 backup_crypt
    mount /dev/mapper/backup_crypt /backup
    fi

FWIW
    I have an ODROID hc1 that needs (maxes out at) a single 2,5" drive.

When there is a sale on the large Seagate external drives like
    Seagate 2.5" USB 3.0 Backup Plus Portable Drive 4TB
    I buy one of these and break the case to get the drive since this is chaeper than byuing the same bare Barracuda.
    (Normally I use them the intended way and have now 3 of them as a spare for my hc1).

These larger capacity 2,5" drives use SMR technology just like the WD Purple and most of the larger Reds.

They work for years here and I am on a GBit network (-> 100 MBit/s under ideal conditions) and do not care too much about how long the stuff is running in the background.
    Reads and writes are mostly run via Syncthing here.

TLDR: Purples are just fine and fast enough.

I wonder why it is still not fixed...

I just setup a new ODROID hc2 and DLed the latest image from sourgeforge and ran into the same issue.

fix: (as root)

Bash
    wget -O /usr/lib/python3.5/weakref.py https://raw.githubusercontent.com/python/cpython/9cd7e17640a49635d1c1f8c2989578a8fc2c1de6/Lib/weakref.py

I had to start over with etching an SD card since the unfinished dpkg -i process made my ssh logins impossible.

OOPS: seems to be still in the repos
    After a dist-upgrade on my fresh install I hade to fix this again

5. Format the unlocked HDD
    6. Mount the unlocked HDD

maybe nitpicking:
    You format a crypt-mounted partion (e.g. /dev/mapper/partX) with a filesystem of your choice and let OMV mount that afterwards.

Formatting the HDD gets you in an endless loop.

I see several ways:

- what makes the mount disappear? find the root of this and a remedy
    - use rsnapshot (a sophisticated script with exceptions, generations, ...) it does not start without the proper path mounted
    - write a batchfile that checks for an item e.g. a directory that you know must exist on your drive and do not start if the check fails
    - look into automount (overkill IMO)

btw. if I use rsync for backup I use the "--delete" option

You did not tell us what kind of hardware you have.

Assuming it is a X86 based device with with a CD-reader or USB:
    Boot a live CD/USB like systemrescuecd and let it repair your filesystem (fsck ...).

Nextcloud can certainly do it.

For me it is a bit too much. I use syncthing for my document and baikal for my PIM data (the latter not maintained any more).
    Syncthing is straightforward with its OMV plugin. I have uploaded my Baikal guide to this forum.

For external access I use a VPN through my router. This is transparent to OMV.

The more RAM the better. I use 2 GBytes ODROID HC1 and a XU4 with powerd USB harddrive as backup.
    A Rock64 is similar -> https://dietpi.com/#download
    I even started with a Raspberry Pi2 with 1 GByte but here the processor and the crappy LAN made it too slow for my taste.
    The ODROID HC1 and HC2 are a perfect package for my NAS/home server needs.

I do not use RAID since syncthing has the same effect and the redundany is spread over as many devices as you like.

Your only solution is better hardware.
    I started with a Raspi (knowing the specs but it was fun to learn) and I am now on an Odroid HC1.

Depending on your external storage: many can be disassembled (e.g. I buy Seagate external drives and take them apart since buying a single 4TB 2.5" Seagate drive costs me more).
    Check if you got a standard drive!

Then depending on the size of your disk either get a HC1 or HC2.
    For backup I use an ODROID XU4 with external USB drive (3.5" with its own power supply).

I sync my data with syncthing and baikal between many devices running different operating systems.

look up the commands

df and du

to find what is there. With mc you can comfortably move around your filesystem on the console.

It is not the best idea to delete anything outside your shared folders manually.

Not too useful on OMV: bleachbit

apt-get clean deletes a lot of downloaded deb-files

Interessant wäre zu wissen, was für ein System Du hast.
    Die GBytes-Werte sind ja nun nicht riesig in late 2018...

Dann würde ich mir die logs einmal anschauen. mc ist ein schönes Programm u.a. dafür. Normalerweise werden die rechtzeitig per logrotate (daran kann man auch drehen) verkleinert.

Irgendein Fehlerprozess scheint die ja vollzumüllen. Das gehört behoben.

Mit gparted kann man die Partitionen in der Größe verändern. Von der Kommandozeile ist das für einen Anfänger nicht einfach.

on the console (ssh login):

mount

df -h

These commands show you what is mounted and how the space on the mounted partitions is used.

Windows 10 is not a solution to look at Linux filesystems.

You better get a CD image like systemrescuecd and boot this up, try to mount readonly what is on the kaputt disk and save the readable files to another disk.

It might be a good idea to get help from someone who has done this before and is well versed in the Linux ecosystem.