Posts by Nas-turally

Hi

I've the same need 6 years after (and the issue is no more present on github). How do people do: duplicate task in the UI, or directly edit cron files? Like the author, I would have liked to keep things in the UI if possible.

Hi

Now that Debian 11 is out officially, has anyone migrated its OMV 5 system to it (with OMV 5, not OMV 6)? Is there any official position regarding this (like "wait for OMV 6, it will come with Deb 11" ? Or "it will come when it will come"? ;)).

Thank you!

Hi,

After an upgrade to OMV 5.6.10-1, I got the error message:

Data failed to compile:

----------

Specified SLS omv.deploy.hosts.20perso.hosts2 in saltenv base is not available on the salt master or through a configured fileserver

This is triggered by the upgrade command 'omv-salt deploy run hosts', but I have no idea what to do, despite I (tried to) read the code for it. Can anybody help?

Thank you :)

Hi ryecoaaron

I wonder where to add extra folder to be managed by Folder2ram in OMV5. In OMV2 you wrote in Folder2RAM config that, to add extra folder for Folder2ram, one just had to add it into /etc/folder2ram/folder2ram.conf . But in OMV5 , this file begins with that warning: 'This file is auto-generated by openmediavault (https://www.openmediavault.org). WARNING: Do not edit this file, your changes will get lost.'

For info, I installed cups manually (I didn't want the docker image as I'm customizing it with tea4cups), and I'd like to use Folder2Ram to manage /var/cache/cups

Can you tell me if there is a way and how? Thank you !

Hi

wpasupplicant is installed by default by OMV, even for server without wireless card. It is set a dependency of all OMV packages, so it cannot be removed.

My personal view for years on linux has been : the fewer things installed on a server, the better. Idea = to reduce the attack surface.

It's nice if it's installed automatically for those who need it, but many servers also don't have Wifi. So why this dependency ?

Hi @ryecoaaron

I've got the same problem while upgrading from minidlna 5.0.4 to 5.0.5 (I'm on OMV 5.5.9-1). It's still the "omv-salt deploy run minidlna" command in /var/lib/dpkg/info/openmediavault-minidlna.postinst which causes the trouble but, reading the php code, I coudn't see what/where to fix. Should I uninstall / reinstall the minidlna plugin? I'd appreciate some guideline.

Thank you!

Nas-turally

So nice, so powerful... Thank you votdev . Yet, my original suggestion looks a little simplier. What do you think about it? Or you may have so many things to do...

For memo (if others were looking for it), a file where OMV is partially writing is /etc/fstab, where the OMV-written part is enclosed between

Code
    # >>> [openmediavault]
    [... bla bla bla]
    # <<< [openmediavault]
    [here, is your own fstab mounts]

Hi,

Today, OMV is fully managing /etc/hosts, which means we cannot define custom entries into it. A solution mentioned in this thread suggests to change things at the DNS server level (in dnsmasq or whatever DNS server is used), but this is not always doable or recommendable.

Would it be possible that OMV scripts only change /etc/hosts within some markers within the file? I think OMV already does that in some other file (sorry, can't remember which) where the content is only reset between the two lines # <<<< and # >>>>, letting the other user-specific lines unchanged.

Thank you!

Some feedback from my own experience of migrating OMV4 to OMV5 using the procedure from ryecoaaron (thank you very much for it!), if that can help others:

- Globally, it was smooth upgrade

- There were several configuration files in /etc for which apt proposed a new version. I reviewed them manually. Easy but it takes some time.

- Finally a bug appeared on OMV UI. After everyhting was done, I could connect to the UI, the UI told me there was a change to apply (don't know what), I clicked on apply and boom, the UI was gone (nginx returned a 502 error). Underneath, the file /etc/php/7.3/fpm/pool.d/openmediavault-webgui.conf was not present and I had to copy it from my test server (and of course to restart php-fpm).

So globally, yes, that rocks. Thank you to all contributors!

Hi
    btrfs-convert can convert an ext4 drive into a btrfs one, but on an unmounted drive. What's the best way to proceed with OMV? With OMV running, to force unmount from a shell (umount -force), call btrfs-convert then change drive type in /etc/config/openmediavault/config.xml ? Or do it offline by booting on a usb drive and then changing the config.xml ? What do you think about it?

Hi
    I'm using btrfs on a dedicated drive holding lxd containers, and I am today thinking to also migrate my data and backup drives from ext4 to btrfs.
    Yet, I read several benchmarks notably those of phoronix.com (
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.…item=linux-50-filesystems or https://www.phoronix.com/scan.…cle&item=linux55-ssd-raid ) saying that btrfs and zfs were noticeably slower and something very slower than ext4.

What's your thoughts about it? Have anyone compared between ext4 and btrfs or zfs on the speed level, notably for shared drive access and backups?
    (I know btfs and zfs offer plenty of extra features compared to ext4, I mainly wonder if there is a significant performance cost to use them versus the plain old ext4)