Beiträge von JanN

Yep. Now it is just download, unzip and plug it in. No serial nor box disassembly needed. :D

That still doesn't seem to be the truth ;)

Development times are always longer than doing it manually, the machine is fast, but stupid. Also the tutorials you followed required months of work for someone, don't think you are cooler because you know how to follow a manual.

I'm so happy, that after 30 years of working in IT i finally found the master, who explains me the basics and the most important goal: being cool. Up to now i thought the goal is to find a straight way to a working solution. You are so coooool - even when you are not able to follow manuals and recall and understand precisely what you read "somewhere" about something similar ;)

Zitat von bobafetthotmail

You need to send down a command to a specific GPIO as I linked in the posts above each boot (paste the code in a script executed each boot). That GPIO enables the WoL feature AND keeps the dumb eth0 operational after a reboot.

That's an example for the above said: You linked to a script for Arch-Linux, that doesn't work with Debian. I found and used a different script.

You are hearty invited to come back down to earth :D <3
    BR
    Jan

Hi guys,

as we can see, scripted installation is "more user-friendly" and "much faster" than doing it manually ;-).

My NSA320 is running since month (now with kernel 3.18 and OMV 1.19), but it had the problem, that it didn't start eth0, when powered on without connected serial interface as reported by cascate. Last week i tried a lot of different manipulations in the startup settings, but nothing helped. Then i found a power_resume.sh script, that toggles between resume on and off. I set it to on, and rebooted, but the network still wasn't initialized, not even after a cold reboot. Then i shot down the box and did something else.

On monday i switched on the multiple socket outlet where the box is powered from, and it started without pressing the power button and INITIALIZED the network without connected serial interface. That was reproducable: network on when powered by socket switch, no network when powered by pressing the powerbutton - weird but usable :-).

BR
    Jan

So your SSD is not booting when the controller is on AHCI mode? I assume it is on bay one. I'll have to test that on Monday when I come back to the lab. I'm sorry guys, but I've been so busy that I hardly have time for anything anymore.

Can you try installing a regular hard drive (any size will do) and replicate the issue? I want to see if this is an issue with SSDs only.

Hi guys,

i made some cross-testing with the following devices:

Microserver Gen8 G1610T, latest BIOS, Bootblock 02/04/2012
    Microserver Gen7 N54L,
    two SSD Cruzial_CT100MXSSD1 (Firmware MU01), one with OMV 1.19 installed on Microserver G8, one with OMV 1.19 installed on MIcroserver G7,
    SSD KingFast F8 120 GB with OMV 1.19 installed on Microserver G7,
    2,5" HDD Seagate Momentus 60 GB with OMV 1.19 installed on Microserver G7.

As i wrote, the G8 G1610T is not (cold-)booting from the Cruzial-SSD (in port 1) when the Controller is set to AHCI SATA Mode, but it boots from the same SSD, when the controller ist set to SATA Legacy Mode. It is the same with both Cruzial SSDs: The Cruzial SSDs weren't recognised by the G8-Microservers contoller (HP AHCI SATA Controller 0.90) during initialization.

The G8 G1610T boots from the Seagate-HDD, and it also boots from the KingFast-SSD in port 1 with the controller set to SATA AHCI-Mode.

The Microserver G7 N54L boots from all the above listed drives with its controller set to AHCI-Mode.

Conclusion:
    The Microserver G8 SATA-Controller Firmware for AHCI-mode has a massive problem with the Cruzial MX100 SSDs.
    Also strange: The SmartStorage Diagnostic-App reports more than 6000 hours of operation and a worn out drive for the nearly brandnew Cruzial-SSD:

ADU Version 2.0.22.0
    Diagnostic Module Version 8.0.22.0
    Time Generated Sunday June 14, 2015 7:50:30AM

Device Summary:
    6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

Consolidated Error Report:

Report for 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller : Host Bus Adapter Info

Marketing Name 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
    Adapter Type Generic HBA
    PCI Bus 0
    PCI Device 31
    PCI Function 2
    PCI Subsystem ID 272380685

6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller : 256 GB SATA SSD (SN: 14510E1E9D42) : Physical Drive Info

Interface SATA_SSD
    WWID 500A07510E1E9D42
    Drive Model Crucial_CT256MX100SSD1
    Serial Number 14510E1E9D42
    Firmware Revision MU01
    Total Blocks 500118192

6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller : 256 GB SATA SSD (SN: 14510E1E9D42) : SmartSSD Wear Gauge

Supported TRUE
    Log Full TRUE
    Utilization 655.350000
    Remaining Days Until Wearout 0
    Power On Hours 6399
    Has 56 Day Warning TRUE
    Has Utilization Warning 2PERCENT

6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller : 256 GB SATA SSD (SN: 14510E1E9D42) : Workload Information

Power-on Hours 6399
    Total LBA Read 18446744073709551615
    Total LBA Written 18446744073709551615
    Workload Rating (TB/Yr) 65535
    Month(s) of Operation 8.765753
    Total Bytes Read (TB) 18446744.073710
    Total Bytes Written (TB) 18446744.073710
    Total Combined Read/Write Bytes (TB) 18446744.073710
    Workload Rate (TB/Month) 2104410.560058
    Projected Rate (TB/Year) 25252926.720690
    SSD Usage Remaining (%) -555.35

ADU Version 2.0.22.0
    Diagnostic Module Version 8.0.22.0
    Time Generated Sunday June 14, 2015 7:53:22AM

Device Summary:
    6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

Report for 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller : 256 GB SATA SSD (SN: 14510E1E9D42) : Physical Drive Info

Interface SATA_SSD
    WWID 500A07510E1E9D42
    Drive Model Crucial_CT256MX100SSD1
    Serial Number 14510E1E9D42
    Firmware Revision MU01
    Total Blocks 500118192

6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller : 256 GB SATA SSD (SN: 14510E1E9D42) : SmartSSD Wear Gauge

Supported TRUE
    Log Full TRUE
    Utilization 655.350000
    Remaining Days Until Wearout 0
    Power On Hours 6399
    Has 56 Day Warning TRUE
    Has Utilization Warning 2PERCENT

Hope that are enough information to catch and kill the bug ;)

BR
    Jan

Edit: Just found and installed the latest firmware MU02 for the Cruzial MX100 - unfortunately that didn't solve the issue.... :(

Nobody have an idea of what can i do ?

Patchouli and i have the same problem: after installation of OMV from pendrive made with unetbootin on a single HDD (SSD) in slot 1 omv doesn't boot in ahci mode, and no one has an idea how to solve this irregular behaviour.

It must be a problem with the firmware of the Microserver Gen8 with Celeron 1610- when set to sata legacy mode, it boots here, but i want it in ahci mode.

Spy Alelo, please help us!!

BR
    Jan

I`m nearly become mad with a brandnew Microserver G8 with Celeron G1610T and 8 GB RAM: i set it up to SATA AHCI, build in a Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD in the first bay and installed newest 64bit OMV from USB-Pendrive (made with unetbootin). All went fine, but after reboot without Pendrive it didn`t boot from SSD, saying "Non system disk or disk error". When i switch to SATA legacy mode in the RBSU it boots like a charm. I "repaired" GRUB to boot from MBR on sda via PartedMagic live-system. GParted sees the ssd without problems, and its first partition has the boot flag, but on startup the RBSU doesn`t recognise the ssd if in AHCI-mode. What did i miss?

Spy Alelo? Is my box defective? It also didn`t update the newest NIC firmware via smart provisioning, even when it finds the update...

BR
    Jan

I did all these manipulations by hand, not with a script.

Maybe uboot ist looking for uInitrd and uImage in the root directory, but they are in the boot directory in bodhis rootfs. I made symbolic links in root to the files in /boot to solve this.

I used another linux machines (my OMV-Microserver) cli for that: just connected the NSA-hdd with an USB-SATA-Adapter and mounted the disk. Mind that the symbolic links must be relative, not absolute.

BR
    Jan

So, confirming there is no way to install it without a modded kernel on the HMNDCE?

Right, you need a kernel and a system, that fits to the ARM-processor.
    Install debian and then OMV. You can find further information and software about the first on nas-central.org and forum.doozan.com .

The needed serial-interface you can get in the bay for a few bucks or euros. The ones with prolific 2023 are really cheap, because they are known not to work with Win 8, but they do with driver 1.5.0 without any issues.

Good luck and patience!

BR
    Jan

As i mentioned in Drive for OS (not for data) , i created an additional data-partition on my system-SSD, and mounted it in WebGUI.

After creating a new share on that partition i created a directory, chown'ed it to r/w/e for vbox and vboxusers, and moved the VHDs of two VMs to that location. In the origin directories i created symbolic links pointing to the VHDs on SSD. It works without issues, and signicantly boosts the VMs performance.

The partition changes on the SSD (shrinking the root-partition to 8 GiB, recreating the extended partition and the swap-partition in it, creating a primary ext4-partition) were made with partedmagic (last free version), that i booted from USB-pendrive on my N54L.

BR
    Jan

I've just installed an ordinary 2,5" SATA III SSD, that in opposition to msata is usable without an adapter. They start at 27€ for 32GB on eBay.

I took 120GB for 55€ and created an additional ext4-data-partition behind system and swap, where i stored the two virtual HDDs of my Win7-machines, that always run on my box. That heavily boosts the performance of the VMs, especially the one, where my hMailserver serves tons of messages per IMAP... ;) .

BR
    Jan

No thoughts?
    Ok, i tried it, and it works: system and data on sda - sda1 (ext3) and sda2 (xfs).
    Testing from Win 8.1 with Helios LanTest over Gigabit LAN: 30 MB/s write, 17 MB/s read.
    h2testw: 34,8 MB/s write, 21,1 MB/s read.
    Test with separate HDDs follows...

Edit:
    Test with separate Drives: Helios LanTest 20,4 MB/s write, 17,5 MB/s read
    h2testw: 30,1 MB/s write, 16 MB/s read.
    MTU in all tests was default 1500.
    Strange: write ist faster than read and single disk ist faster than separate disks.

Any ideas where to optimize what settings?

BR
    Jan

Meanwhile kernel 3.18 is running on my NSA-320, LED are blinking and the powerbutton switches the machine off. Everything seems to run fine thanks to the great work and help from bodhi in the forum.doozan.com.

As i wrote, i installed Debian and OMV on the first internal HDD, because a USB-flashdrive would be worn out too fast.

Now i'm thinking about creating a datapartition on the same HDD where the rootfs-partition resides, from that the box boots (with parted while i mount the drive in another Linux system).
    Is it possible to mount a data-partition in OMV, that resides on the system-drive?
    If yes: will that significantly degrade the performance?

What do you experts think about that?

BR
    Jan

@Akeem
    The NSA-325 ist different to the NSA-320. I think you can use dfarnings method described on your linked pages. You'll also find a lot of helpful information and a rootfs on http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096 .

I wanted the box booting from HD, because a USB-Pen drive will be defective after a week or shorter. The scripted setting of the uboot environment variables for hd-booting was my main challenge.

A solution for the USB-problem could be the use of a SLC-PenDrive (e.g Mach Xtreme Technology ES SLC USB 3.0 Pen Drive - 8 GB) or an external USB-HD. The latter didn't work for the 320, because the USB-Ports don't deliver enough power for a disk - perhaps it's enough for a 2,5" SSD...

For the rsync-config we made a HowTo a few weeks ago: Rsync two OMV machines

BR
    Jan

Just got it: my NSA320 runs Kralizec 1.12 on Kernel 3.17.0 booted from the first internal HD. :D

Now i have to test the performance of the box under OMV - if it's sufficient, it'll become my backup machine...

If someone (or two ;) ) is(are) interested, i could write a HowTo...

BR
    Jan

@ryecoaaron
    Sorry, i just posted a bugreport before i found your answer...

root@SERVER:~# ifconfig -a
    br0 Link encap:Ethernet Hardware Adresse 00:23:7d:fc:dc:7c
    inet Adresse:192.168.151.4 Bcast:192.168.151.255 Maske:255.255.255.0
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metrik:1
    RX packets:775739 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:1578239 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:0
    RX bytes:128722642 (122.7 MiB) TX bytes:5684656861 (5.2 GiB)

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet Hardware Adresse 38:ea:a7:ab:ed:68
    RX packets:664218 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:4167483 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:1000
    RX bytes:63140086 (60.2 MiB) TX bytes:5903584602 (5.4 GiB)
    Interrupt:18

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet Hardware Adresse 00:23:7d:fc:dc:7c
    RX packets:119832 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:195599 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:1000
    RX bytes:80135261 (76.4 MiB) TX bytes:41095267 (39.1 MiB)
    Interrupt:18 Speicher:fdfe0000-fe000000

lo Link encap:Lokale Schleife
    inet Adresse:127.0.0.1 Maske:255.0.0.0
    inet6-Adresse: ::1/128 Gültigkeitsbereich:Maschine
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metrik:1
    RX packets:1037 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:1037 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:0
    RX bytes:568910 (555.5 KiB) TX bytes:568910 (555.5 KiB)

BR
    Jan

The scan calls the util nast, like nast -m you can narrow the scan to interface in CLI let's say nast -m -i br0 it should give you a list of all host in the bridge since that's the function of the bridge to be transparent in between the two nics.

Don't know if this needs to be fixed in the core or the plugin

Thanks, subzero79, nast -m -i br0 makes the job of listing the machines in my LAN.

Where can that be fixed?

BR
    Jan

To be precise: when my NAS is on, the bridged eth0 and eth1 logically exist, but they have no IP - just br0 has one. According to the interface-tab in the network-settings in the gui the bridge has the MAC of the NIC, that connects the machine to the switch. That is eth1 in this case.

BR
    Jan

@Solo0815
    I don't want to wake up the machine with the bridge - that is my always on NAS. That should wake up the backupserver, that is connected to one of the bridges NICs. It think, that the WOL-plugin always try to send magic packets via eth0, that doesn't exist in my NAS.

Any idea, where the plugin stores it's settings? Perhaps i can fix the sender interface and MAC there.

@WastlJ
    There is no problem with my router (Fritz 7390) and the routing over the bridge, as i can send magic packets to the backupserver via LAN from my mobile. And my LAN obviously works correctly too.

By the way: it were great to have the chance to set up and configure a bridge in the network-section of the webgui - in the moment i just see the manually via cli configured interface, but i can't edit it in the gui. And when i edit the other interfaces, my bridge will be overwritten in /etc/network/interfaces .

BR
    Jan