Posts by barrydick

I found the answer. It was a setting in SABNZB. Folders / advanced. PERMISSIONS FOR COMPLETED DOWNLOADS. I changed the setting from nil (blank) to 777 and that's fixed it.

Apologies for the false alarm. The error message made think it was a OMV folder or user permissions issue..

It only works for new files downloaded after you made the change and restarted the container. Have you done all that?

Yes. I deleted everything from my completed downloads folder using the CLI. In portainer I stopped the container, edited the stack and added the environment variable you suggested, saved the stack. The container is then up and running.

I then downloaded a new file and could not delete it from the Windows share.

ls -al filename

Code
    ls -al 36d02fa1f9bc4be8a1c01970535517a4.mkv
    -rw-r--r--+ 1 docker1 users 528355946 May 31 00:21 36d02fa1f9bc4be8a1c01970535517a4.mkv

I know the answer to this is going to be something very simple, but I couldn't a clear way forward by googling it. I'm a bit reluctant to try a bunch of changes without knowing what I'm doing..

I have a new install of OMV5. I set it up using the PDF guide, all good. I can access my shared folders from a windows PC. I can copy, move, delete files on the shares ok. I learned about Docker and Portainer as well. Part of that was setting up a dedicated user for Docker, I called that user Docker1. I've got SABNZB running in Portainer and used the Docker1 user when I set that up. It all works fine.

When a download completes I can't delete the file from the shared folder. I get the error " File Access Denied - you require permission from unix user\docker1 "

Can someone please point me the right direction?

Yes I finally used the stack method and that went smooth so i'll go the route of editing the stack. It seems fairly intuitive :)

That was actually super easy. I stopped the container. Edited the stack with the web editor, clicked save and bingo.. The container was up running and all my changes were available from Plex so all good. Thanks for support, its taken a bit time to get used to the concepts.

Someone above mentioned using stacks, so if you used stacks, just edit the stack and click save, and it should deploy with the changes (i know this is works, but I'm having trouble remembering exactly how it's set up in the portainer UI, and I'm not near my server)

Yes I finally used the stack method and that went smooth so i'll go the route of editing the stack. It seems fairly intuitive :)

just change whatever is after the :, to whatever you name it.

/srv/../OLD_Shows/old_tv_shows This would make the directory show in plex as "old_tv_shows"

Excellent! I thought the part after the : had to be fixed folder name for plex... that's easy then

Whats the easiest way to make those updates in my container config using portainer?

Thank you I deployed it ok.

one more question, Can I have more than one folder on my shared disk pointing to the same Plex library i.e.

/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Vol0/TV_Shows/:/tv

/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Vol0/OLD_Shows/:/tv

if so what is the best way to modify the config in the container?

in the old version of plex I could do this from the PLEX web client but now I see the only available folders are the ones I put in the coffig file..

Thank you. I thought about this previously and saw it in a different thread. I don't understand the syntax for the volumes. How do specify the Plex library and the path in the same line? is it

Code
    /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Vol0/TV_Shows/:/tv

I've just moved from OMV3 to OMV5 so I'm completely new to the concept of Docker and Portainer. I installed Docker and Portainer using the instructions in the PDF guide here. That all went fine. First cab of the rank was to Plex Media Server. I followed the technodadlife video here . It pretty much made sense as I was doing it. I hit the deploy button and waited, it ran for hours.. I thought it my be indexing my media as part of the install, so I left it.. When I woke up this morning my system drive was full... It seems like Portainer made over 300 images and that has consumed all my disk space. I can see in the Portainer GUI I can delete the images, is there anything else that needs to be done to cleanup before I reattempt the exercise?

Once cleaned up is there a way to workout what I did wrong? a log file or the like? The only variations I had from the video was using multiple media volumes for movies and also adding a transcoding folder which wasn't in the docker parameters list (but was in the video)..

I think if you remove the usb installer you get the error you have to boot with the usb installer connected and you will get OMV's WebUI, but don't login instead ssh into OMV or if you have a keyboard and monitor connected login as root run update-grub remove the install usb then type reboot then hit enter. It should now boot from the drive you installed OMV on.

Then do your option 3 before shutting down and connecting your drives, if that works you'll probably have to come back if the raid doesn't show.

thanks I'll have a go at that in the morning

If the above is true look here

Thanks. Yes i put the ISO image on a USB stick. Can you please help clarify the process? Following through these various threads to get a clear answer is difficult.

1) install the software with the data drives disconnected and when prompted by the installer remove the USB stick.

2) let it boot for the first time

3) setup the system with time, web passwords etc. install all available updates

4) from the CLI as root update-grub

5) shutdown and connect data drives

6) powerup / boot and all is well??

is that it?

A clean install of OMV5 but have a look at this thread, whilst this was lengthy I think some was being lost in language, but it shows it does work.

BTW what hardware are you attempting the install on.

Thank you. I've read that thread and in that example his raid came up. My system wouldn't boot.

mdadm: no arrays found in config file or automatically

gave up waiting for root file system device. common problems:

- boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)

- check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)

- missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)

ALERT! /dev/sda1 does not exist dropping to shell!

then goes to busybox.

I know of that thread, I can also point you to thread where I assisted someone moving from 3 to 5, that error whilst it's a PIA on the first boot does go away, so the idea is to set up OMV, date, all updates and any other configs before connecting previously used data drives be it single or raid.

That's what i did mate. I did the install. The system started fine, I could log into the GUI etc. I shut down and restarted a few different times, when I thought I was all good I powered it down. Connected the data drives and it wouldn't boot. I tried to boot a couple of times with the same errors. If I disconnected the data drives it booted fine. I did the same thing on OMV5 & OMV4. It wasn't until I went back to 3 that the problem went away and it worked as I expected (and has in the past).

So I'm left with a clean working install of OMV3. Whats the best method to upgrade to current version?

Did you ever use zfs on these drives?

no they have only ever been ext4

Your raid probably came up as inactive or active (auto-read-only) the output of cat /proc/mdstat from the command line would have given that information, also wipefs -n /dev/sd? the ? being a drive reference would have returned information regrading drive signatures.

This is one of the downsides of using mdadm raid you have to diagnose/troubleshoot from the command line, just because it's doesn't appear in the WebUI automatically on a new install doesn't mean it's not working as expected.

After a successful install i correctly connected the data drives and the system wouldn't boot. It gave the error "mdadn: no arrays found in config file or automatically". Same as discussed in this thread post #4. I have done a clean install 2 or 3 times in the past (years) and successfully reconnected my raid data drives each time , so this was unexpected and it freaked me out.

So I'm left with a clean working install of OMV3. Whats the best method to upgrade to current version?