Beiträge von jeff1326

Well i just did a fresh install of omv 4 and after updates, i tried to install the plugins openmediavault-nut 4.0.9-1

I get this error

TL;DR => openmediavault-nut : Depends: nut but it is not installable

EDIT: I found the solution, while i installed the OS from the iso, i was not connected on internet so the main package was not added in /etc/apt/sources.list. Sorry about that.

Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Nice work. Now you just need a small rack. :mrgreen:

Almost done. :lol:
    I'll post it after his install ;)
    But I need to put my data first! I need to find a solution otherwise it will be very too long at 3MB/s :evil:

When I do a copy over network at 4 MB/s, my disk go to 100% utilization and around 50% iowait.

Code
    # iostat -x 1

My memory is fulled with differed write.

I made a local copy to test, same result. So I can exclude network problem.

I tried to test if i get %wa in top while copying to null. I get 50% cpu and 0% wa. This seem not be hardware problem like motherboard or cpu.

Code
    # cat /dev/zero | bzip2 -c > /dev/null

Then I tested on read on my server via Ethernet. Both card was gigabytes.
    The maximum I got over a file of 8go was 6mo/s. No load at all on server, IO utilization was under 5%.
    I expected to get around 19-20mo/s like in benchmark or maybe just a little bit less with tcp/ip overhead.

I tried to ajust virtual memory config with no change in performance.

Code
    # sudo nano /etc/sysctl.conf
      vm.dirty_background_ratio = 50
      vm.dirty_ratio = 80

I saw no error concerning disk or OI in all log file (dmesg, faillog, messages, syslog, user.log, daemon.log and boot).

I saw than cache is not enabled on my raid card, so I tried to enabled it.

Zitat

# /usr/sbin/tw_cli /c0/u0 set cache=on
    Setting Write Cache Policy on /c0/u0 to [on] ... Failed.
    Parameter not changeable

After some research, I found than we can't enable cache if we don't have a BBU (Battery Backup Unit).
    I don't think this will fix my problem but it will be better for sure! I am checking to order one, it's around 100$.

I know if I increase my RAM, i'll be able to push more data in a burst. But now I want to push around 4to to my server.
    And i am limited for memory because my motherboard only have 2 slot.

Anybody can hint me how to fix this problem? How to increase IO performance?
    If i can't increase IO performance, can I limit write to avoid to maximize disk utilization?
    As soon I find a solution, i'll post it. 8-)

I love so much OMV, this saved me soo much time :mrgreen:

I added this on /etc/smartd.conf :

Then i restart smart daemon

Code
    sudo service smartmontools restart

I can see in log than server can see smart data of these disk and it's added to the watch list.
    How i make them visible on OpenMediaVault?
    I am missing something?

My setup is here

I can get smart data with ssh of a disk with this command where X is the ID -> smartctl -a -d 3ware,X /dev/twa0

I would like to know if it's possible to see them in OpenMediaVault like regular disk. (Storage | S.M.A.R.T.)
    I didn't found a solution yet to add them to smartmontools and make them visible in OMW.
    I saw some information about disk in config.xml but I don't know how it's work.

Feel free to ask question, I don't think I am enough clear.

So I bought my 3ware card on ebay. (2-3 weeks)
    I bought my cable sas breakout on a web site. (1 month and half to receive all cables... back-order they said... When I orderer 3 of them, 4 cables was available)

Sorry I dont' want to open that case again to take a picture.... lol

But this look very sexy when building the array 8-)

Why i say part 1? That's because I tried to use 4 port mutiplier to make visible all my disk to the OS. 4 sata port on a motherboard is not enough.
    The solution I choosed has no smart data available and i was not able to not use it to simply add disk to my system.... hardware raid only.... but on 4 card... that's cheap...

Maybe because he wanted to eat some cable :evil:

1 missing cable... i need to reorder 1 more.... I ordered 5 in case this cat eat another one....
    After that, I realized cable was very too long.... so i ordered 25 cables shorter...

Cabling nightmare part 1 : 2 month :cry: