Posts by Pollux

I wanted to understand so I tried to restart the minidlna service and guess what, service would not restart :D

I added /var/cache/minidlna/ folder with appropriate rights and was able to start the service. But now I don't have any logs in the /var/log/minidlna.log (not a big deal for me, but I can understand the frustration)

I would have thought that when I updated minidlna plugin to 1.0.25 version, the service would have been restarted automatically but it seems it was not the case. Since I did not restart my NAS or changed dlna config, I didn't see that the service could not start properly and wouldn't log anymore.

Quote from "bigcat"

And that seemed to work, except that is not logging anything so I am not sure it's working or not. /var/log/minidlna.log is empty. I removed the log before starting it, so it did re-created it, but it doesn't write anything to it. [...] Any ideas why it's not logging? Or whether it's actually working?

That's odd, my logfile is logging:

Quote from "ryecoaaron"

Going through the source shows that the log level is user configurable. I wonder if 1.0.25 was compiled with the log level set to off. I will try compiling my own binary to see if it fixes it.

You could try first to activate log by editing config file /etc/minidlna.conf and restarting minidlna service

Code
    # set this if you would like to specify the directory where you want MiniDLNA to store its log file
    #log_dir=/var/log
    # set this to change the verbosity of the information that is logged
    # each section can use a different level: off, fatal, error, warn, info, or debug
    #log_level=general,artwork,database,inotify,scanner,metadata,http,ssdp,tivo=warn

IMHO, the wiki might be the easiest way for people to contribute and enrich the content. Actual wiki being old, outdated (v0.2.x) and quite empty, I don't think it's a big issue to start on a new basis. Old content could still be transfered manually (i.e. copy/paste) for relevant pages.
    I know the project is still young, but it seriously lacks documentation. This is where people who don't have much dev skills -such as myself- could give a hand, as long as the contributing process to grow the documentation is easy enough.

There shouldn't be any problem with existing filesystems and raids. Basicaly, the commands only download latest omv-plugins plugin then update OMV+plugins to their latest version available on repository.

You can do it via SSH or directly on NAS, the choice is yours. You'll have to be logged in as root or at least run the last 3 commands with sudo.

After having followed Volker's instruction to update from 0.2.x to 0.3.x, simply run the following commands and it should update everything to latest version available.

Code
    cd /tmp
    wget http://packages.omv-plugins.org/pool/main/o/openmediavault-omvpluginsorg/openmediavault-omvpluginsorg_0.3.4_all.deb
    dpkg -i openmediavault-omvpluginsorg_0.3.4_all.deb
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade

I had to do it this way because transmission plugin was generating an error everytime I tried to log in webgui.

Config files are dynamically generated upon startup or config changes in gui. Manually modifying the config file is not needed for what you want to do.

If you set a shared folder, allow some users to modify it, then add this share in the ftp service, there should be no problem to upload a file through ftp for these users.

Did you clean your cache browser?

Which plugin did you have before upgrade? If you had transmission plugin installed, it might be the cause. If so, run following commands from cli:

Code
    cd /tmp
    wget http://packages.omv-plugins.org/pool/main/o/openmediavault-omvpluginsorg/openmediavault-omvpluginsorg_0.3.4_all.deb
    dpkg -i openmediavault-omvpluginsorg_0.3.4_all.deb
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade

Good thing you could do it by gui.

For your information, to do it by cli, I think you would have to run the 2 following commands:

Code
    mdadm /dev/mdX --add /dev/sdY
    mdadm --grow /dev/mdX --raid-devices=4

(X being the number of your raid array and Y the letter of the fourth disk you are adding)

Also note that growing your array does not expand automatically the filesystem that is on it. You need to do it with the resize button in the 'Filesystems' panel.

By the way, it is known that the system does not allow to add a disk to a raid array if it has already a filesystem on it. But you should still be able to see it in the 'Physical Disks' panel though. And in this panel, there is a 'Wipe' button that clean it to be able to use it in a raid array.

I don't have /var/cache/minidlna folder and minidlna runs just fine.

Sadly, the wiki is quite empty. I'd like to post a few things there. To whom do I request the permissions to be able to edit pages?

By the way, the wiki is still hosted by sourceforge, will it remain this way or the service will be closed just like the forum?

Quote from "votdev"

The database has been re-imported from SourceForge bugtracker, thus your account already exists. You can request a new password which will be sent to the given email address which is normally your SourceForge email.

BTW, for those who don't see the reset password email in their mailbox, make sure that in you sourceforge account the option 'Mail Alias Behavior' is set to 'Accept all mail' instead of 'Accept mail from SourceForge.net internal hosts only'. It got me for a couple of minutes.