Posts by da_guy2

YAY! solved it myself! 2 for 2 today :)

Apparently the issue was that I had moved drives from one machine to another and I didn't notice but one of the drive had the same label as an exiting drive in the system. Apparently OMV 4 didn't really care but OMV 5 just ignored the first drive. Oh well lesson learned!

So I'm working on transitioning from OMV v4 to v5. I've booted and am starting to get my hard drives setup but I've noticed that one partition isn't visible in the "file systems" menu. If I run lsblk or fdisk -l I can see the partition and it looks fine(no weird errors or parameters that are different than other drives), but the GUI doesn't list it and as such I can't mount it. Why would OMV not list a partition? Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks!

OK I I've got around this (though I never solved the root cause). I ended up re installing from a raw Debian release then installing OMV ontop and was able to see all the drives. I'm having other problems now but they're different than these so I'll post them separately.

I'm upgrading from OMV4 to OMV5. Everything works in OMV4, but when I boot in OMV5 I see the following errors and my USB 3.0 expansion card doesn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions or and i just stuck.

Thanks

As you said that could be anything of the above and google searches are not definitive, nothing new there, but it could be related to load.
    But one thing does stand out in that screen shot (albeit hard to read) Plex Script, whatever that is, it could suggest that this cannot run due to load on the system. First try, is to disable/stop Plex and reboot -> does the error/problem stop, if it does then there is something wrong with the Plex install; are you running the plugin? is it installed via the cli? If it's the plugin then that is deprecated no further support and most users have Plex deployed via Docker.
    Another option is unplug all your drives and reboot is the error still there, if not that could be hardware or software.
    If this is hardware related then it's going to difficult to find.

The last resort is a clean install.

yes that particular instance was Plex but it's usually just a random process that fails. It seems different every time. And yes I run just about everything in Docker.
    It could be load related, but it doesn't seem to always be as it's failed when not under load too.

It's really tough as it doesn't happen right away, it takes a while to reproduce. So I'll change wondering and I might not know for 24hrs+ until it falls again.

So as of late my server (a Dell T1700) has started crashing approximately once a day so hard that it brings my entire network down until I reboot my server. When I look at my screen I see a variety of error messages but one that I see frequently and stands out to me is

watchdog BUG: soft lockup - CPU#3 stuck for 22s!
    rcu INFO: rcu_sched detected stall on CPU
    (see attachment)

My friend google wasn't much help. It sounds like there's a wide variety of things that could cause problems like this. I had a few ideas and was wondering if people could help me narrow it down or suggest something else:
    Failing HDD
    - Not likely as I recently replaced it and have scanned it several time with no issue.
    Failing Ram
    - Ran memtest86+ for over 24 hours with no issues
    Failing MB/CPU
    - Not sure but not likely and if it is the I'm more or less SOL.
    Possible Failing PSU
    - Some people online suggested this fixed the problem for them, others said it didn't make any difference. It probably would be good to get rid of the OEM power supply (which probably isn't great quality) but i had spending money when I don't have to.
    Corrupted Kernel files
    - Possible but the only solution would be a complete re install which would take a really long time (don't have a backup that I know is clean)

Anything else I haven't thought of?

Thanks!

I'm trying to get virtualbox going and am having some issues getting it going. Virtualbox installed OK, I created the machine fine, I can launch virtual machine and in the preview window I see it's running, but when I try to launch the remote display to actually access it I can't connect. Is there something I'm missing? Any Documentation on this plugin? Any other option than RDP, i.e. VNC?

Thanks

I'm sure this is probably documented somewhere but my google-fu skills are failing me. I'm setting up my snapraid sync script and would like to disable some services (SAMBA, SFTP, etc) while the sync is happening to ensure that no data gets modified mid sync. Is there a way to control OMV from the command line so I can integrate it into my script?

Thanks!

I have no idea if this will work but this is the code that the links plugin used. Put it in a file, make it executable, and execute it.

This worked for me too!

Quick side question will these changes be sticky or will I need to run that script again on reboot/update?

Thanks!

Hey So I read the above pined post and it had lots of good information but I'm still unsure of what to go wit. Option seem to be:

SSD:
    With the falling price of SSD's I can get a 120GB SSD for around $30-$40 Canadian. it won't be the best brand but it won't be a garbage no name direct from china brand either (i.e. ADATA or Kingston, maybe Crucial)
    Pro's:
    Big
    Fast
    Guaranteed trim support
    Cons:
    A little more expensive
    Uses a SATA port (though that's not a big deal for me right now)

USB flash drive:
    Pros:
    CHEAP! (<$15 for a Sandisk 32GB USB3.0 drive)
    Small
    Cons:
    Unknown reliability (though Sandisk brand helps in this respect)
    No TRIM support

SD Card and card reader:
    Pros:
    Possible trim support?
    Cons:
    A 32GB card + Card reader will be in the $30-$40 range (same as the SSD)
    No guarantee I'll be able to get TRIM working. I did an experiment with my current SD card and card reader on a Ubuntu 16.04 system and was not able to get trim working. I'd hate to spend all this time and money just to find out the new one wont work either.
    Big, and will likely block other USB ports.

I'm currently leaning towards one of the first two option, but would like a second opinion especially with respect to the lac of TRIM for a USB drive.

Thanks!