Posts by tobimaus

@Adoby I know that you are using HC2 for your setup, so here a question if you can help me with. I just installed OMV 4 on my new HC2. I plugged my CAT6 cable into the device and booted it. I see that the light on the Ethernet port of HC2 is ambar instead of green, that means network is working on 10/100mbits instead of 1000mbits. Is there any set-up that I'm missing?

The router I'm using is new and 1000 mbits capable and the CAT 6 cable too.

Thanks.

@calexm :You have 1Gbit :)
    from the manual:
    Ethernet RJ-45 jack
    The standard RJ45 Ethernet port for LAN connection supports 10/100/1000 Mbps speed. The green LED Flashes when there is 100 Mbps connectivity, and the yellow LED Flashes when there is 1000 Mbps connectivity.
    Cheers, T.

SD card arrived today, so I made a fresh new install, put in the 8TB disk in and set up a test share. Everything worked smoothly, system rebooted in less than 1min, and after reboot, the disk was recognized and the share was there ^^ . So everything seems fine at the moment. I will now clone the 3TB disk to the 8TB disk and hopefully arrive at the system I was trying to set up in the beginning. I did not have to modify the boot.ini file for that and I certainly will not touch the "physical disk properties". It seems that @Sylvania and @Adoby had a point there.
    Anyway, thank you and @tkaiser of course.
    I pasted the output of dmesg https://pastebin.com/65DRhtQj and armbianmonitor output can be found at http://ix.io/1o7r.

Nope, this shouldn't be necessary and I don't think it's the solution (since you blacklisted the JMS578 and not a HDD). Can you please provide dmesg output again and also from lsusb -t (or simply armbianmonitor -u or -U).
    I'm still thinking about an underpowering problem which is simply masqueraded by forcing the HDD to operate more inefficiently (the old Mass Storage mode is a mess compared to UAS)

Sorry, I put the 3TB disk back in, and recreated all the shares there. Currently, the 8TB disk is a mess and if i put it back in again, I will have to delete the "good" shares etc.
    I did order another sd-card on Saturday, and once it has arrived, I will setup a separate 8TB OMV system disk so that I should be able to swap HDs and sd-cards simultaneously.
    Then I will report back.

O.k, issue solved eventually :) , thank you @tkaiser.

the little addition to "boot.ini"did the trick. Maybe it should be default?

Code
    setenv bootargs "${bootrootfs} ${videoconfig} smsc95xx.macaddr=${macaddr} governor=${governor} ${hdmi_phy_control} usb-storage.quirks=0x152d:0x0578:u ${extraargs}"

Please be really careful to only adjust the usb-storage.quirks parameter!

Rebooting takes considerably longer than on the 3TB disk, but I want to have the HC2 always on anyway.

Cheers, T.

Code
    setenv bootargs "${bootrootfs} ${videoconfig} smsc95xx.macaddr=${macaddr} governor=${governor} ${hdmi_phy_control} usb-storage.quirks=0x152d:0x0578:u ${extraargs}"

Please be really careful to only adjust the usb-storage.quirks parameter!

When you boot with the 8TB drive connected some errors are in dmesg output that seem to indicate a UAS problem (though I think it is NOT the problem as usual). This test is simply about whether UAS blacklisting 'fixes' the issue that can be clearly seen in the log or not. So please change, reboot and report back.

O.k., I edited boot.ini accordingly:

Code
    # final boot args
    # setenv bootargs "${bootrootfs} ${videoconfig} smsc95xx.macaddr=${macaddr} governor=${governor} ${hdmi_phy_control} usb-storage.quirks=${usbstoragequirks} ${extraargs}"

Again, restart took quite some time but - lo and behold - this time my 8TB disk did mount. There is still some trouble however, because now I cannot create a new share on that disk,
    it gives me:

Code
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; systemctl restart 'sharedfolders-zzzBackup.mount' 2>&1' with exit code '1': A dependency job for sharedfolders-zzzBackup.mount failed. See 'journalctl -xe' for details.

I guess this might be due to the many "dangling" shares that are not accessible on my 3TB disk?

@tkaiser
    It seems I don´t even have /boot/armbianEnv.txt, shall I create it?

seems our last posts crossed.
    The output of armbianmonitor -U is too big to be uploaded to pastebin or to be attached here (1.7 MB).
    I will go back to the "good" disk for the time beeing. I might follow your advice once I got hold of another SD card (but most likely not before next weekend).
    Thank you, T.

I put the 8TB disk in and mounted it via the web interface. Attachment test 1 shows the output of "dmsg" is in "test1.txt".
    Restart via the web interface takes a long time again and disk is not mounted afterwards. "dmsg" output in this state is in "test2.txt".
    Cheers, T.

Files

• test1.txt

(36.33 kB, downloaded 176 times, last: )
    • test2.txt

(34.84 kB, downloaded 220 times, last: )

Currently the system is up and running with the 3TB disk.
    Output of dmsg is very long, see attachment:

armbianmonitur -u gives:

Code
    root@Backup:~# armbianmonitor -u
    System diagnosis information will now be uploaded to Please post the URL in the forum where you've been asked for.

no url in the output.

Do you want me to put the problematic 8TB disk back in?
    thanks, T.

Files

• test.txt

(33.93 kB, downloaded 204 times, last: )

Hi everyone,

I just want to tell you about some issues I am having when setting up OMV on a Odroid HC2.
    I used to run OMV on a HP N40L with three WD red 3TB disks for about 5years now with hardly any issues but wanted to have a more energy efficient and less noisy system. So I bought a new WD red 8TB disk and an Odroid HC2. Setting up the system from scratch was a charm (thank you good folks here, esp. tkaiser). After not more than 30 min I found myself setting up the shares and finalizing the configuration of the new box. After almost 1 day of copying files, everything seemed ready to go. But a having everything set up in the final configuration the trouble started after the first reboot. The HC2 would take very long to boot, and my files where not accessible anymore. Logging into the box, I saw that the 8TB disk was there, but not mounted. I could manually mount it and all the shares and files were there. But after the next reboot, the same story...
    After several days of experimenting, I put the disk into my old N40L case, and lo and behold, everything worked flawlessly, no issues even with SMART tests. Conversely, the HC2 would work perfectly well with any of my old 3TB disks. I even used a more beefy 3A power supply on the HC2 but to no avail, searched the web but could not find similar reports or any ideas that brought me ahead. In the end I decided to keep both servers. The HC2 with 3TB as an always on file and database server and the N40L with the 8TB disk as a backup server that turns on on WOL and turns off via autoshutdown. Currently, I am satisfied with that solution, but of course, hints about what is going on are welcome.

cheers, T.

I gave sensors 3.0 a try on OMV4.0. It installed smoothly, but upon enabling the plugin, i get the following error:

Code
    OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; omv-mkconf sensors balls 2>&1' with exit code '2': sed: can't read /usr/sbin/omv-mkgraph: No such file or directory in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:175

cheers, T.

Hi,
    I want to follow this threat and report a seemingly different issue with autoshutdown (4.02).
    I have just made a fresh install of OMV4 and everything seems to work smoothly, with the exeption of autoshutdown.
    Whenever I start the service, it exits after a few minutes with the following lines found in syslog:

Code
    Dec 29 09:37:46 TINE autoshutdown.sh[2214]: /usr/sbin/autoshutdown.sh: line 1199: ifconfig: command not found
    Dec 29 09:37:46 TINE systemd[1]: autoshutdown.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    Dec 29 09:37:46 TINE systemd[1]: autoshutdown.service: Unit entered failed state.
    Dec 29 09:37:46 TINE systemd[1]: autoshutdown.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Any advice on this? As I said, apart from that OMV is running great and I can live without autoshutdown.
    Thanks for the great work,
    T.

Hi all,
    I am using OMV 2.1 on an HP N40L. I use autoshutdown and "wake on lan" to switch the server on and off depending on the state of the clients. Since a while I observed that the server rebooted on no cause during nighttime just to shut down again because there were no clients. This would repeat itself in irregular intervals several times every night.
    After some research I found that this occured since I had installed the backport kernel 3.16. I am now back to kernel 3.2 and everything is quiet again.
    This is not an issue for me, as I don't need the newer kernel and I am hoping that it will go away with Jessie anyway. I am just documenting it here, should anybody stumble on the same phenomenon.
    cheers, T.

Hi,
    I have the N40L and I like it very much. I found it a little bit noisy however, so after a while I changed the main fan to:
    be quiet! BQT T12025-MR-PWM Shadow Wings 120mm.
    Only After that, I realized that the noise came rather from the power supply. I did some research and finally replaced it by:
    Fortron PC-Netzteil 150-50tnf 150W (Voelkner)
    Now my little box is quiet enogh even for my wife.
    So my suggestion is, you try the box out first and if you think its too noisy, you can do the replacements (if you feel happy disassembling the box, its a little tight in there.)

cheers, T.