Posts by Chickenlal

I have removed all the partitiond on a disk but it didnt help.
    I now installed debian9 and installed omv on top. Debian does accept the disks so I’m trying from there

I format the drives in my windows box, wipe them in OMV and then when I want to greate a file system I'm getting:
    Invalid RPC response
    Failed to read file '/tmp/bgstatusJegMrw' (size=0).

edit:

Eventhough I got those errors I was able to mount all my drives. Will everything be ok or should I worry?

So I managed to install, boot, get it to work.

But when I attach my storage disks it's not booting anymore. Eventhough I have removed them from the boot priority.

Getting this then. Should i format them first with my other pc? I moved them from a qnap nas, they are empty but in raid5 still maybe from the qnap?

Edit: did a format of the drive, still doesnt boot. When I disconnect the drive it boots fine

Which means something went wrong with the creation of the bootable device.
    If the UEFI/BIOS doesn't see a bootable device, it won't list it, it's that simple.

Did you update to the latest UEFI release which is F3 for that board?

Yes I have flashed to F3.

But if my other pc can see the usb stick, boot from it and install, I would think the usb is fine though?

edit: I made progress!! I found some other options in the BIOS which alowed me to turn on more legacy stuff.

Now it showed the USB, but when I boot from it, it says "isolinux.bin missing or corrupt"

edit: ok I fixed that aswell!!

I'm getting the OMV4 installation menu :D

Now I just gotta fix my network card... Because it can't install it within the instalation :(

edit: I'm gonna go to the shop and get a USB Ethernet adapter to try out and install everything.

edit: Successfully installed it with a usb ethernet adapter! Just gonna keep using that, it's gigabit so it's gotta be the same as my motherboard.

edit: After the install with the usb ethernet adapter it automatically recognized my onboard eth adapter so I can use that :D

If it doesn't boot, assuming you selected the right device, then the device isn't bootable.

It doesnt show anything bootable when I press F12.

But when I put the same usb in my other computer I can perfectly install OMV.

So must be something with the bios uefi that doesnt wanna do it. I almost just wanna get another board lol would be the easiest :p

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips. I will try when I get home!

Edit: Something else I have tried is putting the ssd in my other computer and install OMV on it.

But when I put it back in my new server it doesn’t find anything bootable...

I find that strange, eventough it’s different hardware it should find something to boot from ?

Which version of Debian are you using?

I had no problem with my Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi with Debian 9, nor with the same OMV ISO you tried.
    My board has two different Intel Ethernet controllers and both worked fine. I presume you have an i219V.

How did you create the ISO? Try using https://etcher.io/ it's very simple to use and reliable.
    Also, press F12 to boot from the USB drive, do not use UEFI boot.

Hi

I have installed the latest version of Debian (I have tried 2 of the latest so far), in this case it was Debian Cinnamon. Maybe I should try to install plain debian?

But best case would be to just get OMV4 installed right away of course... I don't know why it doesn't want to install on my motherboard...
    I have created iso's on usb with countless apps, etcher, rufus, win32, LiLi, etc...

When I put the usb in my other computer I can install omv without any problems, but when I put it in the server with the Gigabyte motherboard it doesn't get recognized...

Hi,

I've been struggling for days now getting OMV to work on my new hardware.

Motherboard: Gigabyte B360M D3H
    CPU: Intel Core i3-8100
    SSD + 4GB RAM

I have no idea what's happening but I can't boot from the usb disk I created with the OMV4 iso.

When I insert a usb with win10 iso it works perfectly
    When I insert the OMV4 usb in my other computer it works perfectly

I have removed the ssd from the server, put it in my other pc, boot from usb and installed OMV4 on it. Works perfectly
    I put the SSD back in my server to test, doesn't find any bootable media

Is there anything I'm potentially missing?
    I'm using "openmediavault_4.1.3-amd64.iso"