Posts by gian

the current situation is as follows (ifconfig):

enp2s0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet 192.168.xxx.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.xxx.255
    ether 00:22:64:8a:4c:05 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
    RX packets 1408 bytes 447021 (436.5 KiB)
    RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
    TX packets 8048 bytes 535411 (522.8 KiB)
    TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0
    device interrupt 16 memory 0xfe8e0000-fe900000

enp3s0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet 192.168.yyy.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.yyy.255
    ether 1c:c1:de:1c:75:07 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
    RX packets 36172 bytes 4847348 (4.6 MiB)
    TX packets 31275 bytes 41592558 (39.6 MiB)
    device interrupt 18

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING> mtu 65536
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0
    inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 scopeid 0x10<host>
    loop txqueuelen 1000 (Local Loopback)
    RX packets 2932 bytes 338393 (330.4 KiB)
    TX packets 2932 bytes 338393 (330.4 KiB)

the office LAN is yyy, and OMV gets the address from the DHCP router that is 192.168.yyy.1

If I ssh to OMV as 192.168.yyy.10 (enp3s0) from the office LAN, I can
    - ping 192.168.xxx.1 (enp2s0)
    - ping 192.168.yyy.1(internet connected office router)
    but cannot ping myhost.com, so there is a DNS problem.

When I try to edit the network interfaces from the web interface, I get errors.

This is are the two files in /etc/network/interfaces.d/

cat enp3s0
    # The primary network interface
    allow-hotplug enp3s0
    iface enp3s0 inet dhcp

cat enp2s0
    # VideoCam
    allow-hotplug enp2s0
    iface enp2s0 inet static
    address 192.168.xxx.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.yyy.1

Hello All,
    I have two network interfaces, one is on the office LAN, the other will be dedicated to IP cameras that need internet access.
    How do I setup the network in OMV?
    thanks for your help,
    -Gian

Hello All,

I can rsync from OMV -> desktop using PULL setup, however, I prefer to do it the other way round - as I always did in the past with a simple Ubuntu server - with Grsync on the desktop, "pushing" to OMV.

Unfortunately it doesn't work...

This is it:
    <source> /home/user/Pictures/
    <dest> user@192.168.xxx.yyy:/sharedfolders/Pictures/

The two hosts are on same network, but I get a timeout error.

What am I missing?

Thanks for your time and advice,

ciao,

-GianLuca

I was not able to setup the second eth with the webGUI, but now I have two NICs up and working, having configured them manually, adding the each stanza in /etc/network/interfaces.d/.

However, the second eth does not show up in the webGUI, so I cannot setup a DHCP server on the NIC..

I am worried that if I proceed with a manual setup, I'll end with a somewhat "crippled" install of OMV.

in the meanwhile, I found you can ADD a network interface indeed from the webgui, however, I got a message error while saving the new config...

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; systemctl start 'networking' 2>&1' with exit code '1': Job for networking.service failed because the control process exited with error code.See "systemctl status networking.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
    Error #0:OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; systemctl start 'networking' 2>&1' with exit code '1': Job for networking.service failed because the control process exited with error code.See "systemctl status networking.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:175Stack trace:#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/systemctl.inc(86): OMV\System\Process->execute(Array, 1)#1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/systemctl.inc(146): OMV\System\SystemCtl->exec('start', NULL, false)#2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/networking.inc(44): OMV\System\SystemCtl->start()#3 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(194): OMVModuleNetworking->startService()#4 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChanges(Array, Array)#5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(149): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array)#7 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(536): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->OMV\Rpc\{closure}('/tmp/bgstatusws...', '/tmp/bgoutputXu...')#8 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(159): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure))#9 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(213): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('applyChanges', Array, Array)#10 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChangesBg(Array, Array)#11 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#12 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChangesBg', Array, Array)#13 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Config', 'applyChangesBg', Array, Array, 1)#14 {main}

Hello All,

I need to setup two eth interfaces, and configure two separate but interconnected LANs.
    One will be the usual office LAN, the other will be dedicated to Video Cam traffic, since OMV will be the storage.
    The first one will be a DHCP client, the second a DHCP server.
    I am looking for a way to do this from the webgui, but I haven't found anything.
    Should I go with command line, or do I risk to disrupt the install database?

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments,

-Gian

ryecoaaron,

of course going back to Ubuntu was a provocative statement, but a Debian based distro is expected to "just work".

The four 4TB disk are fresh, not even partitioned.
    The installer did not prompt for the creation of an array, so why mdadm pops up?
    Also, I read /dev/sda1 not found: why?

Anyway, the install failed. This is the bottom line.

new to OMV...fresh install, on fresh ssd drive, with 4 fresh 4TB drives..

First boot fails and I'm into initramfs ...
    complaints that /dev/sda1 doesn't exist..
    mdadm keeps looking for arrays, but installer did not ask what to do with the 4 drives..

Maybe I should go back to a classic Ubuntu server ?

I really wanted to try OMV